PDA

View Full Version : what the heck is gameoverlayui.exe (buildbot_winslave01_steam_rel_client_win32?

TheRealPomax
06-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Can someone tell me what this WinSlave thing is?

gameoverlayui.exe (buildbot_winslave01_steam_rel_client_win32@winsla ve01) (http://pomax.nihongoresources.com/downloads/steamwhat.jpg)

I get it everytime I shut down "Magic, the gathering", but I see some reports that its also causing problems (where I actually suspect it's not causing problems at all, because it's being prevented from running).

What exactly does gameoverlayui.exe (buildbot_winslave01_steam_rel_client_win32@winsla ve01) do?

(I know gameoverlayui is used for the in-game community things, but what does *this* thing do?)

- Pomax

d10sfan
06-16-2010, 11:08 AM
That looks to be the ingame overlay. You can try disabling it for that game and see if it stops doing that. If so, then the game has some conflict with the overlay.

Teh_Guy
06-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Press shift + tab and find out :p

TheRealPomax
06-19-2010, 09:45 AM
yeah good job on not reading what I wrote =)

I *know* this is the gameoverlay process, but *what does it do* that's making windows go "yeah, I don't think I'm gonna let you do that, how about I make you behave by killing your process".

What is it trying to access: is it trying to write data to a protected location because it thinks it has admin rights while it doesn't? if so, why is the gameoverlay trying to write to disk? Is it trying to modify protected files? if so, why would it be doing that? Is it trying to access a memory location that it shouldn't? If so, that's a bug, why is it running out of scope?

What is this thing doing?

Slayer00
06-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Its the Steam Community overlay, the text inside () is visible by mistake I guess, though been there for like 2 months or more now..

If the overlay keeps causing problems for that game you can turn it off for that game.

General I.D.
06-20-2010, 06:51 AM
I have this same thing going on, it's won't let me close steam without going into task manager every time to kill the process, and today when I opened task manager to do so, there were three instances of this process running, eating up memory

ofc
06-20-2010, 06:56 AM
You seem like a bright fellow, you have probally tried what will be suggested here.

Contact support imo. Link in the top.