PDA

View Full Version : Massive Patches???

thal
06-16-2010, 07:24 PM
A new patch for SGR just come out. On steam im downloading over 900 meg for this update, yet the actual patch from firesky is around 5.9 meg.....

Why the MASSIVE difference????

Tomf12
06-16-2010, 11:52 PM
On one or two games on steam it occasionaly redownloads either the entire game or major portions of it, it depends on how the files are packaged I believe. For example, just say I had a hypothetical game that stored all of it's textures in tex.dat with a propriety compression, steam couldn't update the textures inside it and so would have to redownload the entire file.

Tzahrkiya
09-08-2010, 03:10 PM
we`ll seriously it needs to be dealt with, while staying away from my normal unlimited connection im on an 8gig per month limit on the bandwidth, ive hardly every played stargate since i bought it due to the massive 1gig+ updates, kinda sad really.

Once again ive uninstalled stargate to avoid the 1.7 gig update and will have to wait till im home again on my unlimited connection before i can redownload the entire game again :-s

JK_DA_KILLA
09-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Once again ive uninstalled stargate to avoid the 1.7 gig update and will have to wait till im home again on my unlimited connection before i can redownload the entire game again :-s

Why not just disable automatic updates?

TheMaxx
09-08-2010, 08:53 PM
steam likes you to download and re download the entire game for every patch on the Stargate resistance game even though the patches are only 230 something mb.
if your on a restricted bandwith cap for yout interent it would be easier for you to log into your firesky acount and download the game directly through them without steam and the updates will be back to the 230mb patches with the actual SGR Downlader and updater without need to reinstall the whole game through steam .

Tzahrkiya
09-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Why not just disable automatic updates?

it is disabled but steam doesnt seem to recognise this and tries to download it anyway :(

do firesky allow you to do this Maxx? even tho the game was purchased through steam?

zainea13
09-09-2010, 11:10 AM
it is disabled but steam doesnt seem to recognise this and tries to download it anyway :(

do firesky allow you to do this Maxx? even tho the game was purchased through steam?

Yes they do. So long as you have a key you can download the game from firesky and avoid using Steam.

TheMaxx
09-09-2010, 03:20 PM
@Tzahrkiya
yes they will.
I have had to do it myself when i use to play, sometimes firedsky's link doesn't work for some reason and you got to just keep trying it. but when you go into your firesky account and go under your games it should have a small download link next to the names.
someone else who has more in depth of the firesky account probily could give you the direct link to it.