PDA

View Full Version : How Big Should My Boot Camp Partition Be?

bobthedeadly
06-17-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm giving in. I'm sick of trying to run games on my super-old PC, when I have a brand-new, powerful Mac, just waiting for some games. I'm making a boot camp partition with Windows 7. I have a MacBook with a 500 GB hard drive. Right now, I have 102.76 GB available, but an hour ago it was closer to 70 (just deleted a bunch of old stuff). If I only plan to use my Windows partition for games, how big do you suggest my Windows partition to be? Right now, I'm thinking about 50 GB... How big is your partition, if you have one? How big was it if you deleted it? How often did you use it? Thanks.

09rmbrown
06-17-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm giving in. I'm sick of trying to run games on my super-old PC, when I have a brand-new, powerful Mac, just waiting for some games. I'm making a boot camp partition with Windows 7. I have a MacBook with a 500 GB hard drive. Right now, I have 102.76 GB available, but an hour ago it was closer to 70 (just deleted a bunch of old stuff). If I only plan to use my Windows partition for games, and I probably won't even install that many games, how big do you suggest my Windows partition to be? Right now, I'm thinking about 50 GB... How big is your partition, if you have one? How big was it if you deleted it? How often did you use it? Thanks.

I would say 1, use XP if you can. Less System resources will be used. (only if you have a 64 bit copy)

but yea, 7 will eat 4.7 GB, and then each game will eat from 1.5 to 5 or 6

bobthedeadly
06-17-2010, 01:33 PM
I would say 1, use XP if you can. Less System resources will be used. (only if you have a 64 bit copy)

but yea, 7 will eat 4.7 GB, and then each game will eat from 1.5 to 5 or 6

I don't have XP... only 7. And I don't have enough money to really just go out and buy it.

So that's roughly 6 or 7 games, if they're all fairly new. ...Seems reasonable.

09rmbrown
06-17-2010, 01:39 PM
I don't have XP... only 7. And I don't have enough money to really just go out and buy it.

So that's roughly 6 or 7 games, if they're all fairly new. ...Seems reasonable.

yea xp can be hard to come by, you can get it for a discount here though
http://tiny url.com/yhjs7yy

pyromcr
06-17-2010, 01:58 PM
somewhere between 30 and 50 gigs depending on how many games you want to have...

amcw
06-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Hold on. You've got a brand-new Macbook. Why bother with Bootcamp? Unless you want to run non-Valve games, you should be fine with OS X.

brian577
06-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Hold on. You've got a brand-new Macbook. Why bother with Bootcamp? Unless you want to run non-Valve games, you should be fine with OS X.

I disagree, Windows gives me double the performance for Valve games on the same settings on my Macbook. Until this changes, I'm keeping Bootcamp

bib fortuna
06-17-2010, 03:08 PM
What I'm more concerned about, is that he managed to fill 400GB of a 500GB "brand new" MacBook.

Clean that ♥♥♥♥ out man... damns. They make external drives for a reason.

bobthedeadly
06-17-2010, 03:31 PM
What I'm more concerned about, is that he managed to fill 400GB of a 500GB "brand new" MacBook.

Clean that ♥♥♥♥ out man... damns. They make external drives for a reason.

Most of this came off of my old PowerBook and my 500 GB external, but the external died and I haven't had enough money to buy a new one yet. I have about 100 GB of music, 50 GB of TV shows, 30 GB of movies, 100 GB of games, 80 GB of non-game applications, plus various other projects, recordings, etc. I've been through it all, deleting stuff as I need space, keeping what I want.

I'm installing Windows so I can 1- get better performance on my games compared to my crappy framerates on 10.6.4, and 2- so I can play games like GTA, Borderlands, and various other games I've bought for my PC at settings other than "low." I'm not even paying for it, a friend gave my his copy of Windows 7 64-bit because someone bought it for him and he can't run 64-bit. When OSX fixes it's framerate issues and gets more than 30 good games, I'll probably delete the Windows partition. For now, I think it would be very useful.

amcw
06-17-2010, 04:03 PM
I disagree, Windows gives me double the performance for Valve games on the same settings on my Macbook. Until this changes, I'm keeping Bootcamp

That's true, and I'm doing the same thing. However, I'm running on a two-and-a-half year old Imac, and a new MbP should be able to run fine with OS X. But yeah, non-Valve games are a good reason to Bootcamp, particularly if you're getting Windows for free.

Cow002
06-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Here's what I did with my 09 Macbook Pro.

Started with Windows Xp, went to Windows 7 for direct X. I lost performance under windows 7 and after weeks of solving problems, I was able to play games again.

I bought a 500gb Western digital to run all my windows games so I would only have to partition 10-20gb of my internal for Windows OS, plus maybe a few other things. This way I was able to save a ton of my internal memory while being able to buy and play as many games as I wanted (memory wise).

If your not in the position to get a new hard drive, it really just depends on how many games you want to play. For me it'd be something like 5 games=15gb, 10 games=30gb, 20 games=45gb, ect. I like to play it safe.