PDA

View Full Version : How is this game?

bobsbarricades
06-17-2010, 05:13 PM
^^^title^^^

Chronon
06-30-2010, 06:02 AM
I just played this for an hour or so and I think it's fine. Quite under par voice overs but that didn't bother me much. The first puzzle with homicide articles and figuring out stuff with them on a map was fun, can't really tell much from the quality of later puzzles since I got stuck at the next area.

Note that I'm not an adventure gamer and have no idea how this compares to some best titles in the genre released in the recent years.

bobsbarricades
11-03-2010, 02:01 PM
thanks mate! I just picked it up while it was on sale and I'm really enjoying it as well. Did you ever finish it? I'm not done yet - just got to Cairo.

Icekimi
11-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Its ok i guess, visually is very pretty but the story and some of the puzzles are not that good. The ending sucked (no pun intended) IMO. Overall its a bit generic, but worth if you like Dracula lore and point n click adventures.

bobsbarricades
11-03-2010, 07:03 PM
and o how I do love me some vampire story =)

could've gone without the pun on the ending as now I'm expecting my character dies or is turned into a vampire himself -.-

Icekimi
11-04-2010, 10:18 AM
The ending sucked because it was rushed and lazy. I forgot to mention the atmosphere is pretty good, i'm a sucker (again no pun intended :D) for gothic horror.

bobsbarricades
11-26-2010, 05:53 PM
ya know I just finished the game and REALLY enjoyed it. The ending however... you're right. I think that type of ending was needed...but man they failed hard on executing it. Sucks cuz the rest of the game was great!

bobsbarricades
11-27-2010, 12:06 PM
I really enjoyed this game, and I love Sherlock Holmes so I'm tempted by their new game but it looks totally different. One of the reasons I liked this was that it looked so gosh darn good. =) Anybody play their other games?

Giaddon
12-01-2010, 08:56 PM
I recently completed Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper (SHJR), and it's a mixed bag.

Unlike Dracula: Origin, SHJR is played in first person with a fully-3d environment: you move around with the WASD keys and look around with the mouse. I enjoyed this, but there is a crappy 3D person camera feature if you can't stand direct control. The game does not look as good as Dracula, but it's a bit more cinematic because of the 3D environments.

Most of the game consists of visiting the same location in London (Whitechapel, where Jack the Ripper's murders took place) and talking with the locals and looking for clues. By far the best parts of the game come when investigating a crime scene proper: studying the body and the environment, and trying to recreate what happened. These aren't really puzzles, exactly, but they did tickle my mind and were pretty unique.

It's a longer and more involved game than Dracula, and the plot was really hard for me to follow. Moment-by-moment I knew what I was supposed to be doing, but I couldn't really figure out why Holmes or Watson were obsessively interested with certain characters, etc. The ending is good, though.

It has a much more realistic feel than Dracula (no blatant stealing from the Egyptian Museum for no reason this time) which I appreciated. The puzzles mostly focus on using objects in the environment to overcome basic obstacles -- not as abstractly logical as many of Dracula's puzzles, but there are some of those too (including one which forced me to do some independent research into American Civil War history).

If you like Holmes, and especially if you like/are familiar with the Ripper murders, I recommend the game. The actual crime-solving/deducting scenes are great, and I was content to muddle through bizarre encounters with vague characters to get to the next one.

It's on sale at gogamer right now, too:

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=73071645

bobsbarricades
12-02-2010, 07:52 AM
ahh! the timing was perfect but it's out of stock! It sounds like I would enjoy that game alot. Thanks so much for the reference!

[edit] man it would be awesome to have a SHerlock Holmes sale!!

bobsbarricades
10-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Just to pipe up - Jack's on sale for Halloween - as is Dracula and some others, and I think I'm gonna grab Jack+Holmes per your post.

Hope this thread helps other's interested because of the sale!

Belwolvie
10-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the advice Giaddon and bobsbarricades.

I'm going to pick up both of the Sherlock games on sale today, the Awakening and Jack the Ripper.

bobsbarricades
10-27-2011, 05:57 PM
I just built a system so I gotta budget - so I'm just getting Jack because Call of Pripyat is also on sale ^o^ It's shameful that I'm not paying full price for it, esp since they gave us the "loyalty discount" but what can I do =/

Stoked that these games went on sale and really hoping people, even if it's just a dozen or so, give Dracula, Scratches, and some of the other great adventure games they've got on sale a try!

Magnetweste
11-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Reminds me a little bit of Syberia, which had a great story too.