PDA

View Full Version : "Can't find steam app user info"???!???

explosm
06-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Wtf does THAT mean? This is occuring in the Episode 1 SDK. I'm trying to compile tga's into VTF's using vtex.exe I've gotten that on studiocompiler.exe (which is a tool seperate from the SDK) and on vtex.exe. Can someone tell me what is going on and wtf the steam app user info is?

B@D
06-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Sounds like that tool you are tring to use is not configured correctly for what ever mod or game you are working on in the mods root dir/ where the maps ,models ect folders are there is a steam.inf that is the file its looking for so direct that tool to that folder dir where the steam.inf file is this should fix that issue ...

explosm
06-17-2010, 10:21 PM
If someone has any sudden insight on what the heck is going on, I would appreciate that insight being shared.

explosm
06-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Oops, we posted at the same time... No offense, I didn't see your post.

explosm
06-17-2010, 10:23 PM
steam.inf? never seen one before and I'm pretty familiar with the source engine's structure and conventions...

Maybe I'm just blind, who knows? I'll check it out.

[Edit]
I found ONE. It's in garrysmod folder. None anywhere else. I did a search of the whole steamapps folder. And this one seems to have nothing to do with anything like this.

[Edit of the edit]
Oops, I said that I searched the steamapps folder, when in fact I did not. I searched my username's folder. But upon searching the steamapps folder I have found some in the common folder. For left 4 dead, garrysmod, and left 4 dead 2. Those are the only places I found any. I'll Check the GCF's next.

B@D
06-18-2010, 01:53 AM
its gonna be in what ever mod you are compiling stuff for if itd hl2 just dir it to that folder no source game will work without the steam.inf file

explosm
06-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Yeah, try to type like a normal person, no offense, but I can barely read your posts, let alone understand them. I'm trying to compile the texures for HL2DM, if that helps at all... For anyone who decides to help me, that is...

gtamike123
10-15-2012, 08:52 AM
I know this topic is old but maybe this will help other people searching for a fix.

Copy the folder called "config" from "C:\Program Files\Steam"
Paste it here

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\Your-Steam-Name-Here\sourcesdk\bin"

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\Your-Steam-Name-Here\sourcesdk\bin\ep1"

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\Your-Steam-Name-Here\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin"

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\Your-Steam-Name-Here\sourcesdk\bin\source2009\bin"

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\Your-Steam-Name-Here\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin"

Now that error "Can't find steam app user info" should be gone for all tools you use, like for guistudiomdl 2.2.