PDA

View Full Version : mirrors edge mac?

Aurash91
06-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Just bought mirrors edge for 5 bucks but I was wondering if we would ever get a mac port?

kleril
06-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Doubt it. Unless it has already been ported it may never be macified.

GirlPower23
06-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Doubt it, in terms of sells Mirrors Edge was a failure.

Dorje
06-19-2010, 01:54 AM
And really doubt it considering basically no moves have been made to bring Unreal Engine 3 to OSX. If it uses Unreal it won't be coming. Not until 3rd party Source powered titles start rolling in the moneys.

Caelo
06-19-2010, 02:07 AM
And really doubt it considering basically no moves have been made to bring Unreal Engine 3 to OSX. If it uses Unreal it won't be coming. Not until 3rd party Source powered titles start rolling in the moneys.
They did say they we're looking at a *nix port of the engine though.
I bet you they're still working on a mac/linux version of their engine. All of their previous versions of the UE support Mac OSX and linux. They've just been too busy adding steamwork to UE3, releasing a proper UDK.

But I wouldn't count on Mirror's edge being ported. Sales were pretty awfull and the game isn't good at all (not for the pc anyways)

GirlPower23
06-19-2010, 02:30 AM
Mirrors Edge was amazing, it's definitely a gem within the sea of shovelware. Honestly, I don't ever foresee a Mac version of the Unreal 3 engine, since they are working on the Unreal 4 engine. Obviously with CryTek pushing out the Cryengine 3, Epic has to step up their game against their rivals.

Dorje
06-19-2010, 02:46 AM
They did say they we're looking at a *nix port of the engine though.
I bet you they're still working on a mac/linux version of their engine. All of their previous versions of the UE support Mac OSX and linux. They've just been too busy adding steamwork to UE3, releasing a proper UDK.

But I wouldn't count on Mirror's edge being ported. Sales were pretty awfull and the game isn't good at all (not for the pc anyways)

It's been 2 years since they were even thinking about porting Unreal Tournament 3 through MacSoft, let alone the whole UE3 environment. If they do bring a UE back to Mac/Linux it will have to be UE4, and it will need to be there from the start. I'd give up on any UE3 based products coming to OSX and hope they put work into making UE4 cross-platform possible.

What I'd pay to play would be some crafty soul using the new Steam and Source to create something Mirrors Edge like that is cross-platform. I'd also rather see Steam hold the ranking scores. EA is not cleaning up the hacked times on PC leader boards for speed runs. Valves VAC system seems to work very well, unlike Punkbuster.

They may very well have a licensable version of UE3 for iOS devices before they have it for MacOSX proper.

nano....
06-19-2010, 04:04 AM
Highly unlikely.

James01
06-19-2010, 04:43 AM
and the game isn't good at all (not for the pc anyways)

WHAT. Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite PC games!

toxictempest
06-19-2010, 05:34 AM
It's a great game, but I honestly don't ever see it happening in the near future. It was a bit of a failure as far as sales go, not to mention that the Mac platform is currently far from capable of handling it.

I mean, when my 27" iMac can barely handle running Half-Life from 2004 (!!), on normal settings, you can only imagine how a graphically-intensive Sasquatch like Mirror's Edge would fare.

nano....
06-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Mirror's Edge could run. After all, it's an UE3 engine game, and while it may have steep performance requirements, it would be possible to get it running in some running state on most Mac systems.

I had no problems running Mirror's Edge, even on less capable machines. It did run on consoles, after all; some Macs boast better specs. All you had to do was disable PhysX, for one.

tcrown
06-19-2010, 08:36 AM
It's a great game, but I honestly don't ever see it happening in the near future. It was a bit of a failure as far as sales go, not to mention that the Mac platform is currently far from capable of handling it.

I mean, when my 27" iMac can barely handle running Half-Life from 2004 (!!), on normal settings, you can only imagine how a graphically-intensive Sasquatch like Mirror's Edge would fare.

Mirrors Edge runs fine on my Macbook Pro 15" 9600GT under wine in 10.6.4 as does Borderlands, Dead Space, Wolfenstein 2009, all have been made to work in a wine wrapper. Native apps would be much better but they all play at 40+ FPS.

I don't think you'll see UR3 engine on Mac but with id Tech 5 and Source on Mac I suspect Epic will be making UR4 available for Mac.

bobsbarricades
06-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Mirrors Edge runs fine on my Macbook Pro 15" 9600GT under wine in 10.6.4 as does Borderlands, Dead Space, Wolfenstein 2009, all have been made to work in a wine wrapper. Native apps would be much better but they all play at 40+ FPS.

I don't think you'll see UR3 engine on Mac but with id Tech 5 and Source on Mac I suspect Epic will be making UR4 available for Mac.

how'd you get your wine working? did you go through steam? I'm currently trying to figure out how to wrap some of my PC steam games that I know aren't getting mac ports (far cry 2 =,( I found a good STALKER one).

GirlPower23
06-19-2010, 10:46 AM

THe question is though, what settings do you use. Saying something "Runs fine" Isn't exactly a good example of running fine. Going oh it runs fine @ XXXXxXXXX AAxX AFxX Shaders at XXX, this is a better example. Some people like their games not to look like a bunch of boxs. =P

tcrown
06-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Far Cry 2 isn't working, possibly in a cider wrapper or maybe with the latest wineskin wrapper with the latest 1.2rc of wine, all the stalkers are working in wine.

GirlPower23
On my rig I can run 1440x900 all settings at max, pixel shader 1.2 since 1.3 isn't full supported in the drivers yet. Dead Space, MW2, Mirrors Edge, Borderlands, Wolfenstein 2009 they all play as well on the Mac side as on boot camp.

heshoots
06-19-2010, 12:32 PM

something has to be seriously wrong in that case as my macbook can run halflife 2 perfectly on pretty high settings

smoke.tetsu
06-19-2010, 08:11 PM
I have a 27 inch i5 iMac here with 4GB RAM. I play Borderlands and Wolfenstein (2009) at 1920x1080 full detail with fast and smooth performance... this is especially true with newer and newer wrappers. Bioshock (native) runs perfect all maxed out at 2560x1440 full detail except for the DX10 option which isn't available. This is about the average when it comes to performance on my iMac with most of my games.

I'm not one of those having performance issues in source games and I tend to run them also at 2560x1440 full detail.. except for AA which I currently have off as that has issues on my rig with the ATI card. I beat all the half-life 2 games and Portal this way. Before 10.6.4 though TF2 wasn't doing so well but it's mostly good now except for a little chop here and there.

If you have what I have and you are having serious performance issues there's something seriously wrong with your iMac. All my games run great at at least 1920x1080.

Even so even though my source games don't have a lot of performance issues there are quite a few more graphically intense games both native and WINE wrapped that run faster than them. So what kind of performance you get in the native source games isn't representative of how all games would run.

Anyway, back to topic.... I don't see Mirror's Edge coming to the Mac any time soon either. The UE3 is being held up either by political or technical issues. There's rumor that Ryan Gordon was working on Gears of War for Mac but then microsoft decided to assert their exclusivity on it so there's a bunch of work there just sitting and Epic is refusing to pay for it because they can't ship it.... and Ryan Gordon is refusing to deliver until he's paid for it. So supposedly he is holding back on UT3\UE3 until he is paid. But as I type it I'm not sure I buy it.

I've been trying to get UT3 and Mirror's Edge working in a wrapper but the thing is while both get good performance they have huge show stopping graphical glitches.. stuff that has been improved somewhat with newer drivers but not nearly enough. Stuff that is UE3 specific that needs to be addressed in the drivers. I almost imagine that this could be what is holding it back technically.

As for UE4... well I've read that they aren't even going to come out with that until the next generation of consoles comes out. Whenever that may be since they seem to be dragging this generation out with all that motion control and 3D stuff. But I wouldn't hold my breath for it being as cross platform as competing engines such as id tech 5 and now source. Epic has been bandying about the piracy card and I wouldn't be surprised if even the PC took a much more back seat position in the UE4 than it has now... and I would almost expect non-ms systems to be completely left out in the cold.

bobsbarricades
06-19-2010, 08:49 PM
thanks for your work. I hope one day they're playable