PDA

View Full Version : SSH client overlay for server admins

Brevantes
06-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I won't deny it. This is a selfish request. I think a lot of server admins would get a bunch of mileage out of this though.

I know that most dedicated game servers have stuff like rcon for passing commands to the server console, but sometimes that's not enough. Being able to work with a SSH text window in the overlay would be pretty darn nice, particularly if you need to make some quick changes to a server your buddies are using while you're busy with another game.

As for implementation, Valve could package a freeware SSH client like Putty (ideal since it's a self-contained executable) and embed it in the overlay from there...or come up with their own if that'd be simpler for their long term interests.

Anyhoo, I won't lose any sleep if people think this is stupid. Please don't recommend browser based SSH solutions though, keyboard entered control codes really don't work well through the Steam browser.

d10sfan
06-20-2010, 06:40 PM
That could be pretty useful for some people. Maybe also have a way of connecting to ssh in the console, although that would need to be secured ofc.

Brevantes
06-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Maybe also have a way of connecting to ssh in the console, although that would need to be secured ofc.You mean obtain a shell from in-game console, spawned by the game server itself? Only if it's a true SSH connection, and not having the game server fork a shell and attach the remote client to it. That'd get ugly real fast.

Looking at the relative amount of work though, I think a SSH client that can be enabled within the overlay is the better way to go. It's the most flexible and platform independent solution.