PDA

View Full Version : This game is great! (A mini review)

jnfenrir
06-20-2010, 06:48 PM
I just wanted to quickly share my thoughts on Zen of Sudoku, and relate my experience to anyone who may be visiting these boards in anticipation of buying it.

The very first time I ever played Sudoku was, in fact, when I bought this game. I was on the hunt for some good relaxing games, and Zen of Sudoku seemed to be designed specifically for that purpose. Besides, I really couldn't argue with the price, and i figured, if nothing else, that it would look nice and give me a "Z" title on my games list. (I'm kinda OCD like that. Don't ask.)

It was a very pleasant surprise, then, when I fired up the game and found it to be not only exactly what I was looking for, but also a really well-designed game. The sounds and visuals are perfectly suited to the gameplay, and the overall experience is remarkably cohesive. "Zen" is exactly the right term here; the game really is wonderfully relaxing, and it's nice to see a game that really fully achieves what it set out to do.

The level of detail in the game menus and interface is just great. The first thing you'll notice is that the game allows different players on the same computer to each have their own profile. This is especially nice because the game also features an in-game achievements system, albeit a fairly basic one. What really impressed me was the game options menu, which lets you not only adjust sound and music volume separately, but also lets you toggle all the different graphical highlights and cues regarding incorrect/duplicate numbers, etc.. The amount of customization available here is a very nice touch.

In addition, the tutorials and help dialogues are all very clear, which makes figuring the game out and getting into things incredibly smooth, even if you've never played Sudoku in your life (like me).

Puzzles are broken down into four levels of challenge (five if you count the tutorial), and each of them feels like an appropriate step up from the last. The difficulty seems perfect. I've completed about 50 puzzles so far (mostly from the Expert level and a few from Master level), and they have all been well-designed and logical. I like that you can just start playing on any difficulty at any time. Sometimes, it's nice to just quickly conquer an easier puzzle rather than taking on one of the harder ones. Also, in yet another nice touch, your progress on a puzzle is automatically saved if you quit in the middle of it, so you can pick up right where you left off when you come back.

On top of all that, you can print any of the puzzles from right in the game, and there's also a custom mode which lets you design your own puzzles or copy them from some other source. I haven't tried it yet, but it's definitely a clever idea that really pushes the game's value even further past its extremely modest price tag.

Overall, I can't recommend this game highly enough. Sudoku may not be the most exciting game in the world to some people, but the quality and value in Zen of Sudoku is really outstanding, especially for the price. There's really no reason not to pick this up.

And in case you're reading this, Charlie, the things I think would be great to see in a sequel are:

Support for higher resolutions in fullscreen mode
More backgrounds and environment effects/animations
More types of achievements + Steam achievements
Board themes/fonts
Mobile/DS version, perhaps? (Okay, I'm really stretching now.)

Anyway, that's my two cents. I love this game. :)

Hope this helps somebody!

Austin007
07-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I just bought it as a gift for someone after trying the demo, it really is zen-like isn't it!

NKTH
07-21-2012, 10:13 PM
And in case you're reading this, Charlie, the things I think would be great to see in a sequel are:

Support for higher resolutions in fullscreen mode
More backgrounds and environment effects/animations
More types of achievements + Steam achievements
Board themes/fonts

Totally agreed!
This game is great. If add more option, it would be greater. :D

Juggler
08-05-2012, 12:40 PM
I love Zen of Sudoku, but I wish it had a 1080p mode.