PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this game?

Jakeman249
06-22-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm really into the Star Wars universe, and have never tried an offline RPG. Is it worth the buy, why or why not? :cool:

hameed67
06-23-2010, 11:22 AM
It's an amazing star wars game and an even better RPG. You won't regret it

JamieKirby1981
06-24-2010, 01:34 PM
It's an amazing star wars game and an even better RPG. You won't regret it

He probably will, if he is using windows 7, since the movies are bugged in windows 7, you HAVE to either run in window mode until you are on the main menu and then go to fullscreen or turn off movies completely.

I am surprised that this game wasn't tested on Windows 7 before releasing on Steam, AvP 2000 classic was updated to run like a charm, i am shocked that this game wasn't.

Jakeman249
06-24-2010, 02:27 PM
He probably will, if he is using windows 7, since the movies are bugged in windows 7, you HAVE to either run in window mode until you are on the main menu and then go to fullscreen or turn off movies completely.

I am surprised that this game wasn't tested on Windows 7 before releasing on Steam, AvP 2000 classic was updated to run like a charm, i am shocked that this game wasn't.

Damn, couldn't I just run it from desktop in winxp compatibility mode?

PugPug
06-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Don't buy it. It doesn't even work on 32 bit XP. Not for me, anyway.

I tried the usual fixes (setting it to run on only one CPU core, setting the refresh rate in the ini file, trying it in windowed mode). No dice.

And you can't register for the Bioware tech support forum either, because you need a UPC (barcode number).

I'd return this half-assed garbage, but Steam doesn't do refunds. Why Bioware didn't update the game to work on today's computer's I'll never know.

Sweetz
06-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Sheesh. Why do people who have problems always assume their experience is representative of the entire rest of the market?

Sorry to break it to you PugPug, but there are plenty of people who have the game working just fine on a wide variety of systems. Kotor is certainly finicky, and can be a pain in the butt, but usually all that separates those who have problems from those who don't is knowledge and effort...

The_One
06-25-2010, 05:56 AM
I had problems running this game (retail version) on XP 32bit, so running this game on Win7 might be problematic.

I would recommend to wait Lucasarts/Bioware to update this game to today standards (might not happen but it is a possibility)

or

buy other good Star Wars based game like Dark Forces2, Jedi Outcast or some other RPG like Elder Scrolls 4: oblivion.

TorrentThief
06-25-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't ever post on these forums, but I have to come here in defense of my favorite game of any generation. I originally played kotor on the xbox and I played it over and over. I loved it so much that when it came to steam, even though I had already played it to every possible end, I bought it anyway. This game will make you rethink what an RPG can be. I know it did for me. No game I've played since (save maybe mass effect, for obvious reasons) has come close to besting it. The story rivals that of the original trilogy and it has a twist so subtly obvious that you'll be hating yourself for not seeing it coming. Really, I can't say enough good things about this game.

All that said, the PC port of this game is terribly buggy. It can be played, but it will take a lot of tweaking. I don't know if the mods will get testy about this, but I found one of the easiest ways of getting it running was to download a no-cd crack and using it to launch. After that, I had no problems. Also, if you're looking to play it in widescreen, which you should, widescreengamers has a nifty little tool to get it running at whatever resolution you desire.

Seriously, though. It is definitely worth the buy. You will not be disappointed.

*goo
06-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Runs just fine for me on Windows 7.

Excellent game. Buy it.

trojanrabbit.gg
06-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Don't even think about it. Just BUY IT:D. Just started to redownload this game myself. Haven't played it since the original release. Great game, good story, you will definitely enjoy this one.

PugPug
06-27-2010, 07:29 PM
What sort of problem were you having, TorrentThief?

Killn4Christ
06-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Buy and buy now...

cwsault
07-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Runs just fine for me on Windows 7.

Excellent game. Buy it.

Note for this, Win7 Pro x64 here and it runs fine but only after I enabled compatibility for XP (SP3) and "run as admin". Before that it was periodically freezing.

Also I have the widescreen hack, so whatever influence the Steam wrapper had, if any, is gone.

At any rate, KOTOR was/is one of the best games I have ever played.

Graymalkin
07-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I've run it perfectly fine (with videos) in XP home x32, Win7 Pro x32 and Win7 Pro x64 with nothing but a few CTDs.
Considering this is one of the best games ever made, I think a few CTDs are excusable :)

GET IT!

mudflaps
07-05-2010, 02:56 AM
no. boy cott untill they sort out a patch for us that have never even got to the splash screen

Jito463
07-05-2010, 10:02 AM
That's extremely unlikely, given the age of this game. Try this solution, and see if it helps.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15775159#post15775159

Killn4Christ
07-12-2010, 04:53 PM
BUY IT NOW!!!!!!!

ChaosKiller
07-16-2010, 06:19 PM
If users still want an answer if they should buy it or not, go for it.

cap_n
07-16-2010, 10:32 PM
I'll take it on faith that it's worth playing. Don't know if it's worth buying as it crashes on startup for me.

EDIT: How embarrasing, updated the NVidia drivers and now it works... :)

MattNY
07-17-2010, 07:59 PM
KOTOR is an easy buy. Up there with TIE Fighter as my favorite Star Wars game of all time, but it also is just one of the cooler games I have ever played.

Raxzor
07-18-2010, 02:31 AM
A lot of the crashing issues can be fixed with a simple downloading the latest drivers for your system.

If your a Starwars fan then get it. Lucas should have made films based on KOTOR it would have been 100x better than ep 1 to 3!

vague_hit
07-18-2010, 07:13 PM
what i've played of it is excellent. just keep in mind that kotor seems to absolutely hate some onboard sound cards. I had problems with stuttering on my old desktop till i bought an x-fi and on my laptop it wont run with sound at all.