PDA

View Full Version : Server Problem

ninjamcwaffles
06-24-2010, 04:40 PM
I was talking to one of the head admins of my group as to when the server would be fixed and back up, but he says he can't even start the server. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. These are pretty much all the details I have so yeah.

GhostSonic
06-24-2010, 04:41 PM
We're gonna need a bit more info than that.

ninjamcwaffles
06-24-2010, 04:42 PM
We're gonna need a bit more info than that.

In all truth, I have none but I'll try to get some.

EDIT: Like mods on the server or plugins?

GhostSonic
06-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah, and also, any errors that he might be getting on startup, and who is hosting the server?

hisham.albeik
06-24-2010, 04:52 PM
If the admin is using mods like, Mani, MetaMod, SourceMod, EventScripts... then they work on the orangebox. The admin needs to get the latest releases that are made for orangebox. Currently eventscripts has an unofficial method to operate on orangebox. They are currently working on fixing it.

If the admin is copying the mods from old server, then that's the wrong way.
1- Update hldsupdatetool,
2- Update steam
3- Download latest server by running steam with command arguments.
4- Repeat step 3 as necessary, to ensure all files are proper and the program is no longer updating files.
5- Run server vanilla to test.
6- Copy server.cfg from old server.
7- repeat step 5.
8- modify server.cfg if necessary.
9- install mods
10- test server.
11- ?????
12- Profit?!

Oh..That's for linux. Skip 2, 3, 4 for windows and replace with "hldspdatetool with arguments to install server"

Edit: This is what the admin would've done even prior to the update. A clean install is always a sure way to weed out bugs.

ninjamcwaffles
06-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Its being hosted by Xenon Servers, it has jihad mod and jailbreak mod. Thats all I have for the moment but thanks for the help anyways

Also he doesnt get any error the server doesnt start at all

hisham.albeik
06-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Its being hosted by Xenon Servers, it has jihad mod and jailbreak mod. Thats all I have for the moment but thanks for the help anyways

Also he doesnt get any error the server doesnt start at all

if the host is provding some web-based method to install server, like gamepanel or tscadmin, then he needs to submit a support ticket with them.

if he has direct access to the server through remote desktop, terminal etc... then he should attempt a fresh install, and instead of copying the mods from old server, install the latest releases from the mod websites.