PDA

View Full Version : Noobish Question About Playing Online

Prankman
06-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Hello! I'm not that great with Steam but I'm considering purchasing this game through it and had a couple quick questions. My first question is about the online; does the Steam version use separate servers from the normal PC version, or does the Steam game connect to the same servers as people who have installed the game through a CD? The main draw for this game to me is the ability to play it with friends, but some of them don't have Steam and I want to ensure that I'll be able to play with them. I know this is a really dumb question, but I'm new with Steam and want to make sure my cash is well spent.

My other question is that I've heard of some minor issues from people both with launching and connecting online. Are these issues that I really need to be concerned about? And am I able to re-install the game if need be without paying for it a second time? I checked Steam's support page but could only find things about the Back-Up feature, nothing about re-installation policies.

If any help can be provided, I'd really appreciate it. I apologize for the silly questions, but I couldn't find them answered anywhere else and am considering a purchase very soon today.

Stinger911
06-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Steam is just the distribution platform for this game. The matchmaking server is the same regardless of whether or not you buy it on steam, so it won't make a difference if you buy from Steam and they don't.

I've personally had no issues launching and connecting online. And the good news is that matches have mostly been lag-free and the automatch works extremely well.

As for your final question, Steam doesn't have any silly install limits like other digital distribution services (EA Downloader). Once you pay for the game, you can install it and uninstall it as many times as you like. And they store the game for you on their servers indefinitely. You can also install the game on multiple PCs as long as you sign into the same account. So if I go to a friend's house and want to show him a game, I can log onto my Steam account on his computer and install the game there.

Prankman
06-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Thank you very much for the help! I'm going to start the download right now.