PDA

View Full Version : Counter Strike Source Refund?

Nearing_Nine
06-25-2010, 11:58 AM
I like many others can't even play the game and those who can are getting terrible frame rates and stuttering. Is it possible to get a refund for a game that doesn't work? I don't want to boot into another OS to play a supposedly "native" game. Mac is obviously not a priority for Valve considering how poorly TF2 has been running with no legitimate solutions since its release. I have a 13 Inch Mac Book Pro and it can't barely handle running Half Life 2. Buying a game for Mac on Steam is like buying a toaster oven that "might" work in year or two.

I think if the consumer can provide substantial information showing that a game can't work with higher specs than the recommended settings then they should be eligible for a full refund.

jayy!!
06-25-2010, 12:10 PM
I like many others can't even play the game and those who can are getting terrible frame rates and stuttering. Is it possible to get a refund for a game that doesn't work? I don't want to boot into another OS to play a supposedly "native" game. Mac is obviously not a priority for Valve considering how poorly TF2 has been running with no legitimate solutions since its release. I have a 13 Inch Mac Book Pro and it can't barely handle running Half Life 2. Buying a game for Mac on Steam is like buying a toaster oven that "might" work in year or two.

I think if the consumer can provide substantial information showing that a game can't work with higher specs than the recommended settings then they should be eligible for a full refund.

No.

(five characters)

Ciaos
06-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Give it some time. Jesus a lot of the current issues are also driver related, so chill and wait for a fix.

jayy!!
06-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Give it some time. Jesus a lot of the current issues are also driver related, so chill and wait for a fix.

It sounds like he has a bad computer to me, I am getting great frames.

Nearing_Nine
06-25-2010, 12:30 PM
No.

(five characters)

If it's working for you please share you Mac specs, these are mine.

Here's mine.

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
9400 M

Recommended Specs:

Minimum: OS X version Leopard 10.5.8, Snow Leopard 10.6.3, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8 or higher, or ATI X1600 or higher, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

My specs exceed this and I can't even connect to a game. I was able to set up a bot game but I can't even max out the settings (considering the game is 6 years old I believe I should be able to do this).

And I really don't want to wait. I bought a game, I should be able to play it.

Xtremer
06-25-2010, 01:39 PM
If it's working for you please share you Mac specs, these are mine.

Here's mine.

Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
9400 M

Recommended Specs:

Minimum: OS X version Leopard 10.5.8, Snow Leopard 10.6.3, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8 or higher, or ATI X1600 or higher, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

My specs exceed this and I can't even connect to a game. I was able to set up a bot game but I can't even max out the settings (considering the game is 6 years old I believe I should be able to do this).

And I really don't want to wait. I bought a game, I should be able to play it.

The game is not 6 years old. This new release of CS:S is based on a June 2010 version of the Source engine.

Like it or not, it's a waiting game for most users right now. People on aging hardware will have their problems resolved as driver updates come, but no one knows exact time frames right now. If you were going to be so upset, then maybe you should have visited the forums before buying?

I'm not saying it's right that it plays so horribly on your machine, but this isn't exactly news. People with older macs have been complaining about performance of the source engine since day 1 of the Mac release of Steam.

It will be fixed, just be patient. Your game isn't going to run away from you.

wafflecopter22
06-25-2010, 01:44 PM

i have a 13 inch mac book pro also all my games run just fine, u probably have to much crap on ur laptop that slows ur mac down

SARCASM
06-25-2010, 02:17 PM
What version of OS X are you on, OP?

xMr.Orangex
06-25-2010, 02:19 PM
No, but I'm surprised that Mac users can't play the game. I might have a more updated computer, but it's far from new. It plays perfectly, even better than Portal or Half Life. It's amazing.

As far as an refund, no, once you buy, you own it. No returns, no refunds, nothing.

d10sfan
06-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Refunds are almost never given. What have you tried on your end to fix the problem? Tell me and I might be able to suggest some other things to try.

I have a macbook pro with a 8600m and it runs extremely well on my system. A 9400m should be able to run the game fine. Do you have alot of stuff running in the background?

kyle2k5
06-25-2010, 02:30 PM
for me, the game runs well - very well - when it isn't stuttering. unfortunately, the stutter happens every couple minutes, and it's impossible to play while it's happening, which makes the game unplayable.

it makes me frowny face. :(

xMr.Orangex
06-25-2010, 02:32 PM
I get stuttering on my gameplay too, but it's only when my Mac is extremely overheated or if there's overprocessing on a program (in this case: CS:S). I just restart Steam, and close my Mac book for it to cool down a bit. It literally goes away when I do this.

AtastyTr33t
06-25-2010, 02:56 PM
i understand claims such as "HUR THIS GAME ISN'T 6 YEARS OLD LOL". sure. fine. but look at it. people look like LEGOS for christ's sake. I have about the same specs as the OP and i get ~20FPS that a card from 4 years ago could run nearly on max. Just outrageous. Why sell us a "high end card" if it performs almost as well as a card nearly a decade old? NVIDIA doesn't care. Don't look forward to a saving "driver update". It will never come. If it does, it won't do a thing.

Nearing_Nine
06-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Alrighty I found a solution. Besides it not being able to display map pictures for some reason (I have to have servers listed as suggested before) I can't join a server without having all of the other servers shown. If I hit "Stop Refresh" Steam freaks out and won't let me connect to anything. It's still really spotty when connecting, but it is considerable better.

Also Xtremer I do not consider my Mac as being old or outdated considering there is no newer 13" Pro available for purchase.

Xtremer
06-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Also Xtremer I do not consider my Mac as being old or outdated considering there is no newer 13" Pro available for purchase.

?

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=OTY2ODExMA

What is this then?

The new Macbook Pro 13" has a 2.66 GHz processor with 4GB of RAM, and Nvidia Geforce 320M GPU.

Not to put down your machine as "old" or anything, but it's certainly not the latest. And I know for a fact that the 320M and 330M Macbook Pros are capable of playing all the source games just fine so far.

xX_yugo_Xx
06-25-2010, 04:30 PM
just for the laffs i upgraded to 10.6.4 (people say theres horrible preformance drops) and i notice...nothing, if anything a tiny increase so idk what people are complaining about. i run everything on the highest possible settings with my 2010 MBP 2.66 GHz with the nViDIA GT 330m

tamarok
06-25-2010, 04:31 PM
If you are getting performance issue then adjust the video settings within the game. Other things to look into:
- OS version
- connection type
- geography

Nearing_Nine
06-25-2010, 04:58 PM
?

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=OTY2ODExMA

What is this then?

The new Macbook Pro 13" has a 2.66 GHz processor with 4GB of RAM, and Nvidia Geforce 320M GPU.

Not to put down your machine as "old" or anything, but it's certainly not the latest. And I know for a fact that the 320M and 330M Macbook Pros are capable of playing all the source games just fine so far.

The upgraded one is 2.66 GHz the initial one is 2.4 GHz I'm not sure why mine is 2.53 GHz maybe they downgraded the processing and updated the graphics card in the new Pros?

playn
06-25-2010, 05:00 PM
The upgraded one is 2.66 GHz the initial one is 2.4 GHz I'm not sure why mine is 2.53 GHz maybe they downgraded the processing and updated the graphics card in the new Pros?

its because you dont have the latest model
yours is from before 2010

Natejka7273
06-25-2010, 05:17 PM

Has nothing to do with the processor. Every intel mac ever made has a good enough processor to play all steam games. The graphics card is the problem. Apple says the new 320M is 2.5x faster than the 9400 and it runs perfect on my mac so there you go. At least you don't have the intel gma950 or x3100 :p:eek:

You have a right to be angry tho. There shouldn't be a requirement to buy a $1000+ computer every two years just to be able to play games that aren't even new. (Why I mostly use consoles for gaming).

playn
06-25-2010, 06:23 PM
to be fair tho, most Macs aren't made with gaming in mind. it wasn't until late 2009/start of 2010 when apple decided to make the gaming move
thats why the 2010 MBPros perform so well

Deebs50
06-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook7,1
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Memory: 2 GB

HL2, CS:S, etc all run fine for me so far...

Jim Six
06-25-2010, 07:12 PM
is CS:S the only game giving anyone else problems? cause HL2, Portal, and TF2 all run adequately while CS:S is basically unplayable. I'm assuming it's because it's the newest to be released and Valve's got their hands full with the new update to it too

inverseflux
06-25-2010, 07:37 PM
No.

(five characters)

I have to say, this made me lol, no offense meant.

?

What is this then?

"Fine" as long as the 10.6.4 update was avoided, at least for me, the available workarounds still caused a driver corruption(artifacting, checkerboarding, etc) after 30min of gameplay.

100% correct on the 9400M G or the 320M being able to handle the games. Making a leap of assumption here, not having a 9400M MBP, but did have that card on my Dell Studio XPS 1340 - and it(css and tf2) ran fine on that machine.

From what I can tell it seems like the integrated/shared memory cards are the only ones affected(9400M and 320M) by the 10.6.4 update. Other independent cards seemingly are either not as vocal about an issue or exempt to it.

I digress. Nearing_Nine, I am guessing it is something local with the machine as it does meet/exceed minimum system requirements. I'd say Disk Utility verify permissions, repair if needed and "Verify integrity of game cache..." after that. No guarantee, but its a place to start assuming you've not done so already. Otherwise go get a 360/ps3 console and you'll get the "plug and play" you're expecting.

Nearing_Nine
06-25-2010, 08:19 PM
I have to say, this made me lol, no offense meant.

"Fine" as long as the 10.6.4 update was avoided, at least for me, the available workarounds still caused a driver corruption(artifacting, checkerboarding, etc) after 30min of gameplay.

100% correct on the 9400M G or the 320M being able to handle the games. Making a leap of assumption here, not having a 9400M MBP, but did have that card on my Dell Studio XPS 1340 - and it(css and tf2) ran fine on that machine.

From what I can tell it seems like the integrated/shared memory cards are the only ones affected(9400M and 320M) by the 10.6.4 update. Other independent cards seemingly are either not as vocal about an issue or exempt to it.

I digress. Nearing_Nine, I am guessing it is something local with the machine as it does meet/exceed minimum system requirements. I'd say Disk Utility verify permissions, repair if needed and "Verify integrity of game cache..." after that. No guarantee, but its a place to start assuming you've not done so already. Otherwise go get a 360/ps3 console and you'll get the "plug and play" you're expecting.

Doing the Disk Repair, looking further into it and it seems like its more of a problem on my end.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. :)

dr00per
06-26-2010, 02:08 AM

Their way of working is probably not the best way to handle things, but the constant pressure of their customer base probably forced them somewhat to release a couple of big titles to the mac platform.

Now I'm pretty sure it's mainly drivers issues cause the games run perfectly smooth on my 4y old mbp whenever i'm bootcamped. So they just need to figure out how to adjust the OSX and graphics drivers for mac.

So let's hope this happens rather sooner then later.

Also i'm sure they are sick of the forum getting spammed daily with all kinds of posts about perf issues... So they are working on it as fast as they can... If you see how fast a couple of updates came when TF2 was released is the proof of that, but they probably did everything they could for now and are waiting on Apple/ATI/NVIDIA/...