PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars black-screens then laptop powers off?

staticanime
06-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Hey all, I'm having a strange issue. I bought Guild Wars recently, and have found that after 10-20 minutes of play my laptop screen goes black and my machine turns off (specs at end of post).

Now, my first thought was that it's overheating, or that it's my GPU drivers, so I installed older drivers, and kept an eye on my temps, and tried some other games (TF2, Burnout Paradise, Prince Of Persia Warrior Within, Torchlight, COD2), and the issue doesn't appear with them.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this issue?

=====
Specs
=====
ASUS EEE PC 1201N
4GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM
640GB 5400RPM SATA HDD
nVidia ION (GeForce 9400)
Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit

Latest DirectX nstalled, all drivers up to date, tried both the 257 series of GeForce GPU drives, and the 195, 196 and 197 series

NightLegacy
06-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Netbooks don't have the capacity to run the game, or really many real games period. It's most likely overheating and turning itself off to prevent hardware damage.

staticanime
06-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Netbooks don't have the capacity to run the game, or really many real games period. It's most likely overheating and turning itself off to prevent hardware damage.

Just to prove that incorrect, my last netbook, the MSI Wind U100 ran Guild Wars on low at a nasty 10-15 FPS, but I could play it for hours on end, so, yes, it can run. I played it long enough to finish most of Nightfall last summer. And the 1201N can run quite a few games without problems, I'm only experiencing this problem in Guild Wars.

EDIT: The MIS Wind U100 had an Atom 270 CPU with an integrated Intel GMA 950 GPU
EDIT2: Sorry if I'm sounding like an ♥♥♥, it's just annoying me lol. When my last netbook could run it, and this one can't, there's something wrong there lol

Killer252
06-27-2010, 07:50 AM

Yeah, my Acer Aspire 1 netbook can run GW for hours without crashing. To OP, if it isn't overheating don't know sorry.

staticanime
06-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Yeah, my Acer Aspire 1 netbook can run GW for hours without crashing. To OP, if it isn't overheating don't know sorry.

Yeah, after some more RIGOUROUS testing, my machine is idling around 88c without the battery, 91c with the battery, and Guild Wars seems to slowly drive that up for some unknown reason until it hits 103c, where it blackscreens and shuts down. Stranger that it does it at 103, since the CPU's TJMax value is 125c, and quitting Guild Wars instantly drops the temps. Think I'll file this over at NCsoft as well

Killer252
06-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Yeah, after some more RIGOUROUS testing, my machine is idling around 88c without the battery, 91c with the battery, and Guild Wars seems to slowly drive that up for some unknown reason until it hits 103c, where it blackscreens and shuts down.

Try buying a good netbook cooling pad, most computer/electronics stores should have some.

staticanime
06-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Try buying a good netbook cooling pad, most computer/electronics stores should have some.

Ok, I'll give that a try, but it could an elusive hunt, Ireland sucks for all things tech~_~

Gentle
06-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Aren't you forgetting one important thing?

Put a support ticket in with the hardware manufacturer also...

Gentle

spyrochaete
06-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Sounds like a heat issue to me. I used to play GW on my old work laptop and I thought I noticed it getting a little hot, so I installed a temperature monitor and was surprised to find my CPU running at close to 100 celcius!!

Laptops and especially netbooks are not built for 3D gaming. That's been my experience using my wife's EEE PC. If it works then you're lucky, but between the cheap components, small enclosed space, and low resolution monitor, really these computers are only good for old games.