PDA

View Full Version : Start up error

the_gnasher
06-28-2010, 09:41 AM
here's a screenshot
(http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/151/l_f32fdf3e8a244d269b400dac40e4b74b.png)

i've restarted steam, i've restarted my computer, i've deleted local game content and reinstalled it, and i've verified my game cache.

if it helps, my friend gifted me this game.:confused:

M8Military
06-28-2010, 09:44 AM
lol that would be an awesome wallpaper

the_gnasher
06-28-2010, 10:00 AM
it would, however, that's not my problem.
that's what happens when i try to start up the game.

GOCARDSGO32
06-28-2010, 10:24 AM
I have the same exact problem, weirdly enough, the same exact screenshot I could take of it doing that. I saw a fix for a startup crash on here but it didn't seem to work.

ruthlessebk
06-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Happened to me when I first started it.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8079-KZXN-6067
That fixed it for me, but my issue isn't exactly like yours. It just started up and automatically closed.
Hope it works for you.

the_gnasher
06-28-2010, 11:41 AM
That fixed it for me, but my issue isn't exactly like yours. It just started up and automatically closed.
Hope it works for you.

i can't figure out how to do that on my computer.

also, if it matters, i have windows 7

GOCARDSGO32
06-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Hope it works for you.

That's the "fix" I tried to use, and doesn't seem to work. When you start Steam it will say its not supposed to run in compatibility mode, and then when you start the games itself it doesn't change anything. At least thats what happened to me.

gorpie
06-28-2010, 02:41 PM
i can't figure out how to do that on my computer.

also, if it matters, i have windows 7

That's the "fix" I tried to use, and doesn't seem to work. When you start Steam it will say its not supposed to run in compatibility mode, and then when you start the games itself it doesn't change anything. At least thats what happened to me.

If your game isn't crashing, and you're just missing menu text, see this Support article (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9081-TPDC-8813).

If you still have problems:
@the_gnasher - You may need to set up a DEP exception. Use the link ruthlessebk gave. When you go into your Control Panel, switch it to Classic View until you're done. Try setting up a DEP exception for HL only, not Steam (Steam\SteamApps\yourname\half-life\hl.exe).

@GOCARDS - Try setting up a DEP exception for just HL, not Steam?

GOCARDSGO32
06-28-2010, 02:50 PM
If your game isn't crashing, and you're just missing menu text, see this Support article (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9081-TPDC-8813).

@the_gnasher - You may need to set up a DEP exception. Use the link ruthlessebk gave. When you go into your Control Panel, switch it to Classic View until you're done. Try setting up a DEP exception for HL only, not Steam (Steam\SteamApps\yourname\half-life\hl.exe).

Thanks for the info, I'll try it. Also I have a few other games (Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Classic games, etc) and HL.exe is the EXE file in those folders too. Do I have to add an exception for ALL of them in each folder?

gorpie
06-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll try it. Also I have a few other games (Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Classic games, etc) and HL.exe is the EXE file in those folders too. Do I have to add an exception for ALL of them in each folder?

If you have problems with them, yes. :) or :(

But if it's not crashing and you just get a blank menu, the other article might be all you need.

the_gnasher
06-28-2010, 04:20 PM

the missing menu text link fix didn't work.i also can't figure out how to switch it to classic view. google tells me to just click on classic view in my control panel but i see no such button.

GOCARDSGO32
06-28-2010, 04:32 PM
the missing menu text link fix didn't work.i also can't figure out how to switch it to classic view. google tells me to just click on classic view in my control panel but i see no such button.

Goto control panel>click on the green system and security>then the green system> then advanced system settings 4th from the upper left list>advanced tab>Settings... button under performance>then the data execution tab in that window> and add hl.exe in your steam folder

I dunno what it will do for you though. I just did it and it didn't change a thing. I just did the autostart launch option too, and it didn't do anything. I don't know if its a Windows 7 issue, a 64 bit issue, or a graphics card issue (I have integrated Intel graphics that are modern) which shouldn't be a problem for any though I would think.

the_gnasher
06-28-2010, 04:50 PM
I just tried that and it didn't work.
idk what the issue is

GOCARDSGO32
06-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Me either. I find it odd we have the same exact issue though. It almost seems resolution based or something the way the screen goes. Do you have Windows 7 64 bit too? And are you using just on board Intel graphics?

the_gnasher
06-28-2010, 05:22 PM
yes. and yes.

gorpie
06-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Goto control panel>click on the green system and security>then the green system> then advanced system settings 4th from the upper left list>advanced tab>Settings... button under performance>then the data execution tab in that window> and add hl.exe in your steam folder

I dunno what it will do for you though. I just did it and it didn't change a thing. I just did the autostart launch option too, and it didn't do anything. I don't know if its a Windows 7 issue, a 64 bit issue, or a graphics card issue (I have integrated Intel graphics that are modern) which shouldn't be a problem for any though I would think.

I just tried that and it didn't work.
idk what the issue is

Setting up a DEP exception often fixes the problem. You may also need to set up an exception in your firewall.

But the first next step is to run it in compatibility mode. I know Windows 98 works. XP might also work (it runs on my XP).

the_gnasher
06-28-2010, 08:01 PM
for steam or halflife?

gorpie
06-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Run Half-Life in compatibility mode.

You may need to create a desktop shortcut to do that. (In your Steam Library, right click on Half-Life and select Create Desktop Shortcut.)

the_gnasher
06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
I tried all the different compatibilities, and it either did the same thign or told me to turn compatibility mode off and it did nothing else.

gorpie
06-28-2010, 09:02 PM
In Steam, right click on HL and select Properties, then Set Launch Options.

Try -w800 -gl (make sure you use a space between them). Instead of -gl, you can also try -d3d or -soft.

If that doesn't work, try the -safe option mentioned in this Support article (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1216-JMTZ-0860#force).

(The -dxlevel options won't work for HL1. -autoconfig may.)

---Another thing you can try is changing your Download Region in Steam, then verify the game cache again.

the_gnasher
06-29-2010, 08:56 AM
when i set it to -w800 -gl, it just does the same thing.

-d3d works.

Thank you.
so much.