PDA

View Full Version : How "open ended" is this game?

Morter
06-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Everytime I look up free-roam shooters, other than Borderlands, and Operation Flashpoint, this game comes up a lot. How much open-endedness and free roam is there? Do I only get into combat during missions? Or is it more like STALKER where you roam around but things manage to happen between missions anyway?

stealth_321
06-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Some missions are quite small while others have a huge area to explore.

There are a several of missions in the campaign which are absolutely huge, I remember It took me about 40 minutes of driving through the land to complete one mission You can also call in a helicopter for pick-up if you hate driving through the forest.

But for the most part there is plenty of space to roam around, almost too much..

EDIT: And yes some missions will have enemies anywhere like STALKER, sometimes too many to fight off and you have find an escape route in order to get to the objective.

most missions give you entire map to fight in. This is how huge it is:
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1955/arma2map.jpg

mcilrain
06-29-2010, 11:41 AM
It's definitely free-roam, at any time you can just go explore the entire island (I recommend taking a vehicle, as hours of walking isn't as entertaining).

It definately isn't as open-ended as something like STALKER, but the campaign is a lot more flexible in terms of outcome, as there are choices to make, NPCs might request assistance, etc.

I haven't played much of the ArmA2 campaign, but it most definitely wasn't all combat. Exploration and social interaction are a significant chunk of the campaign.

I wouldn't say the game is non-linear, "branching-linearity with lots of freedom" is more accurate.

most missions give you entire map to fight in. This is how huge it is:
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1955/arma2map.jpg

Each of the small squares on that map is 100x100m.

uksimj
06-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Everytime I look up free-roam shooters, other than Borderlands, and Operation Flashpoint, this game comes up a lot. How much open-endedness and free roam is there? Do I only get into combat during missions? Or is it more like STALKER where you roam around but things manage to happen between missions anyway?

You don't understand this game. It's not open-ended the way that GTA, etc are. It's open-ended because of the editor, allowing anyone to make missions for themselves and share with everyone. Plus there's the modding potential and map makers out there in the community.

Dwarden
06-29-2010, 06:22 PM
don't worry there will be soon some RPG openend style mods for MP and SP

i_2_i
06-29-2010, 06:39 PM
looks like you can freely run around like in battlefield...

does anyone know if you can destroy buildings, trees and deform ground like in battlefield bad company series... that would be very sweet.

Threatty
06-29-2010, 08:02 PM
looks like you can freely run around like in battlefield...

does anyone know if you can destroy buildings, trees and deform ground like in battlefield bad company series... that would be very sweet.

Well, the game does have destructible environment, although not as flashy and detailed as in Bad Company 2. Still, trees get mowed down by tanks, explosions blow wholes in buildings and you can even bring completely down some larger structures. These aren't that good visually, but still decent, and they're mainly there for the strategic elements they create for realism.

sofmisfortune
06-29-2010, 08:16 PM
You don't understand this game. It's not open-ended the way that GTA, etc are. It's open-ended because of the editor, allowing anyone to make missions for themselves and share with everyone. Plus there's the modding potential and map makers out there in the community.

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma2_files_scenarios

You will never run out of content

i_2_i
06-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Well, the game does have destructible environment, although not as flashy and detailed as in Bad Company 2. Still, trees get mowed down by tanks, explosions blow wholes in buildings and you can even bring completely down some larger structures. These aren't that good visually, but still decent, and they're mainly there for the strategic elements they create for realism.

thx didn't know, been playing demo, have not blown up anything... will have to work harder at it... ;)