PDA

View Full Version : Virus? Windows XP (prog. name) is not a valid Windows image.

GameOver1
06-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Hey guys, well I'm pretty sure I've acquired a virus somehow. I started to notice the problem when every program I attempted to open came up with the error:
C:\Program Files\(program location)\(program name).exe is not a valid Windows image. Please check your installtion diskette.

I scheduled a boot scan with Avast and it found various infected files and deleted them, however the problem still persists in fragments. Only certain programs give this error now.

For example: when I try to download a program like Adaware, it says it is not a valid Windows image.

Any ideas on what to do? I figured the boot scan would find the problem and eliminate it but I learned otherwise. Virtually I'm stuck.

notavirus.exe
06-30-2010, 10:42 AM
download malwarebytes, you can google it.

It is free. Install and run the quick scan, it usually finds most things.

remove what it finds. reboot. scan again using full scan.

keep us posted.

GameOver1
06-30-2010, 10:48 AM
See that's the problem. Everytime I try to download a program, it comes back with an error that the files are corrupted. No matter what the program, the error persists. So I'm stuck and unsure what to do, would booting in safe mode with network and downloading work?

notavirus.exe
06-30-2010, 10:50 AM
See that's the problem. Everytime I try to download a program, it comes back with an error that the files are corrupted. No matter what the program, the error persists. So I'm stuck and unsure what to do, would booting in safe mode with network and downloading work?

Yes absolutely. I always recommend safe mode with networking.

Once you get the software and install it (hopefully it works) you can unplug your ethernet cord (disconnect from webz) and do the scan. This helps for some of the more serious virus's out there.

notavirus.exe
06-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Symantec online scan tool (http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?productid=bestbuy&langid=ie&venid=bestbuy)

you can also use the geeksquad scanner which is through Symantec. It does not require you to download anything. I'm not saying it will work, just a thought.

Darkravenbw
06-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Download Hitman pro 3.5 (choose 32 or 64 bit depending on your OS)

Hold the CTRL Key on the keyboard and double click it

It will shutdown all background programs it deems to be unneeded or mallicious and performs a scan on the system for trojans, spyware, malware and rootkits

;) free 30 day license with every download! great as a cleanup tool.

Regards
Raven
ICT Administrator

Pilotclan9404
06-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Download Hitman pro 3.5 (choose 32 or 64 bit depending on your OS)

Hold the CTRL Key on the keyboard and double click it

It will shutdown all background programs it deems to be unneeded or mallicious and performs a scan on the system for trojans, spyware, malware and rootkits

;) free 30 day license with every download! great as a cleanup tool.

Regards
Raven
ICT Administrator

Look up Rkill.exe - free and works

just install in safe mod and START RKILL AS SOON AS YOU GET TO THE DEKSTOP AS SOON AS YOU CAN SEE IT CLICK IT

will kill it and then you can run programs to remove it

GameOver1
06-30-2010, 12:17 PM
okay the problem seems solved. ran it in safe mode with networking, downloaded malwarebytes - it cleaned the system up and now everything seems to be functioning properly. thanks guys!

notavirus.exe
06-30-2010, 12:22 PM
anytime