PDA

View Full Version : MDK vs. MDK 2

Hive Mind
06-30-2010, 09:59 PM
I'd just like to know which one most people here prefer because I've heard a lot of different oppinions.
Personally, I prefer MDK over MDK 2 because it had much better atmosphere, and wasn't smeared with puzzles... And it was just plain better... MDK FTW!

The_One
06-30-2010, 11:35 PM
First MDK definitely! MDK2 ( Bioware ) wasnt even made by same team as the first one ( Interplay/Shiny ) and MDK2 is just average game if you compare to other games released in that time.

I think that MDK was really groundbreaking visually, technically, gameplay wise and had huge levels in its time back then in 1997. It is very underrated game in my opinion.

For sure, it is one of the best games of the 90s and it could be said that MDK is predecessor to games like Splinter Cell and Mass Effect. Also MDK developers made other gem, Sacrifice.

"Shiny's first online multiplayer game. This game won numerous awards and still is remembered as one of the best PC real-time strategy games of all time." - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrifice_(video_game)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDK_(video_game)

_jema987
07-08-2010, 08:11 AM
MDK. Its a ground breaking classic and everything that made it great is lacking from the sequel.

If anyone is interested in picking up Shiny games cheaper with goodies but devoid of DRM head over to gog.com.

Delicieuxz
06-06-2011, 02:00 AM
MDK is mindblowing and unique. One of my most cherished gaming experiences from back in the day. Never played MDK 2 (though I own it), I was turned off by the disappointing feedback from it.

MDK really is one of a kind though.

Hive Mind
06-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Never played MDK 2 (though I own it), I was turned off by the disappointing feedback from it.

While I agree that the original is certainly better, MDK 2 is still a great game and you should not not play it just because it isn't quite as good as the original.

Kaihekoa
07-10-2011, 03:44 PM
These games are overpriced considering they are over a decade old and have a good chance of not working properly on Windows 7.

Hive Mind
07-13-2011, 05:40 PM
These games are overpriced considering they are over a decade old and have a good chance of not working properly on Windows 7.
I'm going to adress both of your points.
1. Age doesn't matter, what matters is the fact that these games are incredibly fun, nostalgic, and great overall. Worth their price.
2. It is true that they don't work for everybody, but there is almost always a way to fix it.

SpiritSharD
07-16-2011, 10:45 AM

You should have brought them in the Summer Sale mate; I knew there was a slim chance of them ever being discounted again so I brought them both for 5.49...not bad really. As for running on Windows 7 - they run fine, but there's some tweaks on GOG.com which can be used so you can play the game in your native resolution, move around with a mouse etc...

In response to OP's question; MDK without a shadow of a doubt. I was only a child it was released and remember watching my dad play it - it's mainly the nostalgia that does it for me.

MDK 2 was alright, but I wasn't that fond of the humour and I much preferred the (lack of) presentation of the story.

Hive Mind
07-19-2011, 08:42 PM
You should have brought them in the Summer Sale mate; I knew there was a slim chance of them ever being discounted again so I brought them both for 5.49...not bad really. As for running on Windows 7 - they run fine, but there's some tweaks on GOG.com which can be used so you can play the game in your native resolution, move around with a mouse etc...

In response to OP's question; MDK without a shadow of a doubt. I was only a child it was released and remember watching my dad play it - it's mainly the nostalgia that does it for me.

MDK 2 was alright, but I wasn't that fond of the humour and I much preferred the (lack of) presentation of the story.
A bit off topic but what is the tweak you found to run it at native resolution?

LN3000
02-06-2012, 11:53 PM
MDK is one of the earliest games I remember playing, but MDK2 was probably the one I have most fondest memories of. (although the memories are probably foggy by now. Need to replay them, glad I have them in Steam now.)
MDK2 was more fleshed out, story wise, and playing as the Doc and the Dog were enjoyable.

spyrochaete
03-13-2012, 12:02 PM
I prefer the first MDK by a wide margin. I must have finished MDK1 a dozen times. It's just so epic and wacky and creative.