PDA

View Full Version : does the SentryGun add to your score?

ARUG
07-01-2010, 06:05 AM
i guess grenades add to your damage dealt score because its an item but does the SentryGun? or is it skill bonus because its a gun?

piydek
07-01-2010, 11:08 AM
I'd like to know this as well. I'm also not certain i understand how the final score for playing through a level is calculated and which all the factors that get thrown into the equation are.

I'm quite certain there's shot efficiency and of course the number of kills. But what else? I see those categories at the end of the level, but I don't understand how the score is calculated from them.

ARUG
07-01-2010, 03:29 PM
skill bonus is youe efficiency with your weapons and damage dealt is grenades or the explosive red canisters, these two are used to calculate your single player score.

there's a third to calcualate your coop score, i think its the damage you receive but not sure.

piydek
07-02-2010, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the explanation ARUG :). I always thought that time that it takes to finish the level is also a factor in some way. So, i tried replaying the last SP level going through it as quickly as i could and i finished it really quickly as far as i can tell (about an hour and 15 minutes) and my score was quite terrible in the end haha. So, i figured that time is no variable in score-calculations.

ARUG
07-02-2010, 07:06 AM
i'm glad you tried that. i've been wondering myself and guessed that it wasn't, now we know.
something i'm very pleased about, as you already know, it would mean charging through the level without having time to search and explore.

-=XX=-Nephilim
07-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Perhaps Bilt could come in and explain how scoring actually works - just so we know for sure...

Regarding speed - I always take my time... Love the game too much to breeze through it :)

piydek
07-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Yeah, i agree with you guys - that's how i play as well. Taking my time, soaking in the atmosphere, exploring the environment. That's why I'm glad time doesn't seem to be a factor in calculating the score. I second the proposal that billt17 tells us a bit about score calculations :). And then - it's open hunt for the leaderboard positions ;)

dejerre
07-03-2010, 07:12 AM
I tried some different strategies, but this one seems to work best:

Play with the shotcannon.

Try to fire a minimum of shots.
One shot kill the big aliens.
The closer the big aliens gets to you,
the more damage you will do.
Melee the little ones.
Upgrade damage of your shottie as soon as possible.
Use nades.
Got first place on Aftermath and Priorities this way :cool:

Time has absolutely no effect on your score.

As far as i can tell, the biggest factors for calculating the score are 'damage dealt' and 'shots fired'. Your Skill bonus is calculated by these 2, and then added to the damage you dealt.
Damage taken seems to have a negligible effect on your score.
While it is subtracted from your total score, it probabably is
a factor in skill calculation, but the effect is not noticable.

P.s.: Don't let the sentry guns get YOUR kills ;)

ARUG
07-03-2010, 10:45 AM
yeah i use all those tactics already apart from melee and at first thought the sentrygun would take your kills, but thought i'd ask as it could actually add to them.

skill bonus is calculated by accuracy of your weapon use, damage dealt is calculated by the damage of your nades etc as i said above. it's in the "how to play" section of the game.

eldo76
07-03-2010, 11:10 AM
I think it also generally counts how efficient you use your weapons.
there are type of enemies which can be quickly dealt with the right weapon in a few shots, without wasting a lot of ammo.
but I also would be pleased if Bilt17 would come in and clear things a bit up regarding the whole calculations.

dejerre
07-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Well, accuracy of your weapon use is
minimum shots with maximum damage = high skill bonus,
and damage is just overall damage u deal... Like I said in previous post.

ANY enemy can be killed with 1 shot. Except boss battle ofc.

It's important to only melee the little aliens.

For example:
Played the first map(aftermath) using assault rifle, shooting little aliens.
Think i had about 700 shots fired, my total score was 350000.
No damage taken.
I had nr 1 spot with that score, but it was close with second place.

I played it again with shotcannon, and melee'd the little ones.
I had 140 shots, my total score was 490000.
No damage taken. That's a difference of 140000!

Did the same for second map(priorities), and went from 450000 to 612000.
If u could kill any alien with melee, you'd have a monsterscore :P

ARUG
07-04-2010, 04:38 PM
so you reckon the skill bonus is your weapon accuracy and damage. and damage dealt is just all general damage from weapons nades etc?

yeah love the 1 hit kills with the shot cannon, especially just as they pop out the floor/walls.
hmm damn! and i was happy shootin the little gits, oh well time to give them a bunch of fivers i guess.

piydek
07-05-2010, 01:10 AM
dejerre, thanks for your insights!

I think another story mode playthrough is in order for me. This time, it's score hunt and hardened armor hunt for the achievement in it last mission - ain't got time to bleed. :cool:

DeJerre, i see you're still quite a king up there on some leaderboards, I'll be giving the game a shot with these new tactics. My dear shotgun, here i come. :D

*note to self: time to learn using those nades properly as well* haha

piydek
07-05-2010, 02:56 AM
DeJerre - look at the "aftermath" leaderboard :cool:.

dejerre
07-05-2010, 10:22 AM
O noes!, he beat me by 50000 points. :(
Damn nice score.
O well, let's try beating it.:)

I think the leaderboards add to the replayability of the game,
which can't be said for the co-op.
If it wasn't for the 'score competition', i would have stopped playing this game days ago.

Good luck in beating the top score's everyone.:)

piydek
07-05-2010, 10:42 AM
DeJerre, "ZvonimirZG" is me, that's my profile name. Try to beat it, yes :). I could have done better in the area of items usage - i could have used less! Also, my nade proficiency still sucks :(.

Good luck everyone :).

piydek
07-05-2010, 10:54 AM
I wanted to say one more thing...and i hope someone from T17 is reading this - i think that a factor when calculating score should also be number of saves during the level.

Because theoretically, someone could play from checkpoint to checkpoint in intervals and wildly save-load while all the segments of the level aren't played perfectly. I would never do this since i consider stuff like that cheats. But T17 should make sure the system reacts to such playing. Therefore i thought that saves on intex terminals should introduce some kind of penalty to score. It really makes sense regarding the possible exploit i mentioned and also - it is a measure of one's skill. Not saving during level - well, that takes skill.

piydek
07-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Just finished "Priorities" on this new story mode playthrough that I've started, so i can accumulate hardened armors for the last level and "Ain't got time to bleed" on elite difficulty and also to see what i can do about leaderboards. :cool:

I came second after you in "Priorities" DeJerre, you lead by quite a large margin. You've obviously just nailed this level, well done man :).

piydek
07-06-2010, 08:04 AM
OK, I've finished the game and my scores are good on all maps, but you seem to be the most consistent with great scores DeJerre. There's some guys with CRAZY scores on later levels - "madwolf", "Aromi L. Joe", illiath. I have no clue how they've made such scores.

Basically, the way i played was - use shotgun with damage upgrade as long as I have ammo, then i used laser gun. I've tried using grenades as much as i could, but I'm really not very good with them. ARUG suggested that i take the damage/radius upgrade for grenades while we were playing co-op and i took it - it's great.

I've tried shooting as few shots as i can, melee the facehuggers and everything but I'm still nowhere near those best guys, especially in later levels.

Oh yeah, and I've made it with the Ain't got time to bleed achievement on elite. I used only hardened armors i accumulated in previous levels. I finished the game with 3 hardened armors to spare :cool:.

billt17
07-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I've just asked one of the coders to do me an explanation to how the scores are worked out, so should have an answer for you tomorrow.

billt17
07-06-2010, 09:15 AM
and to answer the main question. No, the sentry gun does not add to your score.

dejerre
07-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Nice one Piydek, you're in 4th place on the story mode leaderboard :)

I personally think those crazy high scores are a bit dodgy...

For instance:
Player madwolf has played Alien Breed for 6 hours,
that's what it says on his profile. So this means he only played it through once.
On the first two maps he's at about the 100th place on the leaderboard.
Then suddenly, he doubles the top score on one of the last maps.
This is the same for a number of players with uber high scores on the last maps.

Now I know there's a trainer out there that can give you unlimited ammo(among others), and it's weird to see how the scores really start to go nuts on the third map, which coincidentally is the map where you first find the Ion cannon.
In short this means: Ion cannon + unlimited ammo = crazy score.
This is because it has very high damage, and you only need a few shots for an entire horde of aliens.

Now i know how this sounds, but i'm not a bad loser.
People who read this should try perfecting their high scores, just to see how high they can get.
That would give us more insights on what the high score can be.
Or team17 can check if these scores are even possible?

piydek
07-06-2010, 10:21 AM
billt17 - you're truly a top guy and T17 is a top company. Thanks for communicating with us in manner of such high quality and informativeness. I'm eagerly awaiting the explanation :).

DeJerre - thanks, I'll try beating my scores and surpass you, but it won't be easy ;). I know how i played those levels and i know how much ♥♥♥ you must have kicked to get to your scores.

One thing I'd like to share - i think that amount of damage taken is not such a negligible variable in caltulating the score. I got a very nice score on Aftermath and i took almost nothing damage while playing that level.

On the other hand - i think my guns usage was equally as good on the last mission as on the first and my nade usage was certainly better on the last level than on the first. But still, my score on the last level is really not that good - and i think that might have something to do with amount of damage I've taken and that was a lot - i think I've spent 4 or 5 hardened armors during playthrough of that level.

DeJerre, now that you mention it, those scores do seem strange. Especially if players have really played only for 6 hours or some similar amount of time - that's crazy. I didn't know there were trainers for unlimited ammo - if that is so, when playing in that mode i really think those scores should not be included in leaderboards.

I too hope T17 can check that all out - playthroughs using trainers being included in leaderboards and such. It shouldn't be.

I hope more people will begin hunt for their high-scores, so we can all have some nice competition :cool:.

ARUG
07-06-2010, 04:09 PM
thanks billt17 for your answer to my question, i thought it didn't but just had to ask.
also thanks in advance for the score explanation, i promise to dust of my copy of Worms and put it back on the mantelpiece ;)

guys whats a trainer for unlimited ammo?

piydek
07-07-2010, 01:12 AM
If there indeed is a trainer for unlimited ammo (personally, i don't know it and don't wish to know it) and if scores made in that mode indeed for some reason still count into the leaderboards, i hope T17 will fix that.

Also, if aforementioned is true, I'm asking myself would it be smart to reveal these trainers publicly. :eek:

billt17
07-07-2010, 02:04 AM
Ok, here we go. Please forgive the rather large post. :)

Scoring Guide: Alien Breed Impact
Score Equations:
[Final Score] = [Difficulty Modifier] x ( [Skill Score] + [Damage Score] ) – [Damage Taken]
[Skill Score] = 1000 x [Damage Dealt] / [Time Spent Shooting]
[Damage Score] = 10 x [Damage Dealt]

Score Explanation:
The scoring process takes in to account several variables when determining the final score; these variables are then consolidated into three main factors. Skill Bonus, Damage Dealt and Damage Taken. The final score is then modified by the game difficulty. Playing the game on Elite will get you a higher score than Veteran which will produce a higher score than Rookie.

Damage Dealt:

The Damage Dealt score is the total damage you deal multiplied by ten. Overkill is counted and it is therefore always worthwhile to use the most damaging weapon when available.

Skill Bonus:

The Skill Bonus score is determined by evaluating the average amount of damage the player deals per shot. Since some weapons have a higher damage per shot, being accurate while using these weapons will net you the higher scores. Here are some pointers on how to maximize your score:

• The Shot Cannon weapon deals the most amount of potential damage per shot of common weapons (Blaster, Assault Rifle, Shot Cannon and Flame Thrower). Accurately placing shotgun shots means for a higher score. However, beware that while using the Shot Cannon means that you must allow the aliens to close in before shooting.
• The Ion Spike weapon has the highest potential damage per shot of all weapons, though due to its low rate of fire and ammo scarcity it is not viable to use on every enemy.
• Using a Melee Attack to dispatch multiple Larval Bursters is the most score effective way of dealing with them, short of catching them all in a Shot Cannon blast.
• Upgrading your weapons will affect your score. Upgrading the damage dealt will increase the total damage you have dealt and therefore up your score, while upgrading the rate of fire will reduce the amount of time added per shot.
• Using Grenades on multiple enemies is an effective way of boosting your Skill Bonus.
• Sentry Guns that you place will not increase your score.

Damage Taken:

The Damage Taken score is the total amount of damage you have taken. This value is not modified by the difficulty.

Weapon Damage / Second Table:
This is a list of the best weapons to use when trying for a high score. Note that the Shot Cannon has the ability to hit multiple targets, giving more potential damage value.
1. Shot Cannon: 93 damage / second. (Can hit multiple enemies)
2. Ion Spike: 150 damage / second.
3. Flame Thrower: 110 damage / second.
4. Laser Rifle: 105 damage / second.
5. Assault Rifle: 75 damage / second.
6. Blaster: 40 damage / second.

Grenades are always worth using on multiple aliens.

Summary:

• Score Determined by Skill Bonus, Damage Dealt and Damage Taken.
• To maximize your score, try and use the weapon which gives the highest damage per shot. Ion Spike, Shot Cannon and Grenades are the best for this.
• Upgraded weapons with [Damage Upgrade] or [Rate of Fire Upgrade] will give a higher score. So upgrade early.
• Harder difficulties add higher modifiers to the score. Play on Elite to reach the top scores.

piydek
07-07-2010, 02:26 AM
billt17 - That is really an exact explanation! Thanks so much to you for your communication and to the coder which provided the equations and his (and the company's) willingness to share these things. I especially value this data:

Score Equations:
[Final Score] = [Difficulty Modifier] x ( [Skill Score] + [Damage Score] ) [Damage Taken]
[Skill Score] = 1000 x [Damage Dealt] / [Time Spent Shooting]
[Damage Score] = 10 x [Damage Dealt]

Weapon Damage / Second Table:
This is a list of the best weapons to use when trying for a high score. Note that the Shot Cannon has the ability to hit multiple targets, giving more potential damage value.
1. Shot Cannon: 93 damage / second. (Can hit multiple enemies)
2. Ion Spike: 150 damage / second.
3. Flame Thrower: 110 damage / second.
4. Laser Rifle: 105 damage / second.
5. Assault Rifle: 75 damage / second.
6. Blaster: 40 damage / second.

This says it all and in a completely accurate way. We can think about our tactics now completely informed :cool:.

I'd like to add that i find score equations very well done and thought through. I was also wondering if there was a difficulty modifier - I'm very glad there is and judging by the "final score" equation and "skill score" equation, its role seems to be pretty major.

Additional thanks for the weapon damage table - up until now I assumed wrongly that laser rifle had higher damage per second than flamethrower.

eldo76
07-07-2010, 06:38 AM
wow, many thanks billt17, this should be on the manual/menu but at least it is now here.

sadly as always those cheating kiddies will make the leaderboards obsolete.

anyway good info, thanks again

piydek
07-07-2010, 07:56 AM
eldo, I'm playing through again, with what billt17 said in mind and my tactics modified to suit these equations. By now, I think I can safely say my playing is good. When i get to the third level, I'll see if high-scores that exist for that level are possible. Seeing billt17's equations, I don't think they are.

It would be really good if T17 or Steam guys (I don't know whose jurisdiction that is) had a possibility of seeing if there were any cheats/trainer modes applied to playthroughs that produced certain scores on leaderboards and remove those scores. TBH, if that is so - that some scores aren't trainer/cheat free - I'm surprised that some mechanism that recognizes and eliminates such scores doesn't exist. Can anything be done regarding this?

piydek
07-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Hehe DeJerre - i see you're on your next playthrough as well, i see you've beaten your old Aftermath score. But I've started another story mode playthrough as well and I've made my old Aftermath score even a bit better.

I've just finished Priorities and now I'm ahead of you on that map by 42 points! I know how well i played and you have practically the same score - so, congratulations. This is very hard to beat.

And now - re-boot. Where 1st place is 2nd x 2. I'll do my best on this map, see how far i can get with the score.

ARUG
07-07-2010, 05:03 PM
i know i've said thanks already but that's a really thorough explanation, thank you very much, it's very much appreciated by us hardcore fans as you can see.

team17 you're the best! (grovel, bow, simper, dribble)

eldo forget the hacks/cheats, they only shame themselves.

piydek
07-08-2010, 01:04 AM
OK, played through reboot level, there's quite a bit of room for improvement in my playing, but i managed to get a bit behind DeJerre (DeJerre is in 2nd place), whose score is top-notch and I've made the best possible calculations of upgrade routes for weapons to maximize the damage as early as possible with weapons i use. I also spent no money on health packs and such, so all money went into weapon upgrades and ammo for the most damage-potent weapons.

With how i played, the amount of ammo the game gives, the weapons i used and how i used them and the equations for calculating the score in mind - i truly don't think that a score that's almost double of 2nd place on that map is possible. And that's what the 1st place score is.

dejerre
07-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Our scores are very close Piydek, this makes the game interesting again :D
Beat me by 42 points on Priorities, that's how close it is.:cool:

I'm glad that you can now see how impossible the 1st score is.
Even with perfect high damage shots, no damage taken, no items,etc.., it would be impossible without some kind of cheat.

I know i should let it go, but it's pritty annoying when you put so much time and effort into this game...

billt17
07-08-2010, 08:17 AM
If we can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the score came by because of cheating, we can remove it very easy. It seems strange that if he was cheating that he hasn't done the same on every leaderboard. Has anyone spoken to him and asked how he did it.

dejerre
07-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Actually,that guy is always offline.

Not to mention the fact that he only played AB for 6 hours, NOT on elite by the way :confused:
Just noticed this by looking at his achievements on steam...
Now i'm sure this score is impossible.
Unfortunately, this will be hard to prove.:mad:

Here's a theory for you Billt17:

Assuming he used a trainer for unlimited ammo (among others).
Using the Ion spike with unlimited ammo will give you a very high score.
You won't find the ion spike untill mid-3rd level, and that's also when his score suddenly skyrockets.
This also explains his poor scores on the first two maps.
This is no coincidence.

There is very little ammo for the ion spike, is it possible to compare this with the shots he fired?
This would be an easy way to detect 'trainer users'.

Anyway, thx for your reply billt17 ;)

billt17
07-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Our coders think that technically it could be possible to hit that score. Here are a couple of suggestions, might be worth having a go to see if they are realistic.

One suggestion is to get all the hardened armor you can on your way to level 3 and to use a combination of stun and frag grenades to max your dps out. Is it possible to finish a level just doing this?

Also we think you are onto something with regard to the ion spike. Upgrading this to rapid fire might actually give you a better dps score than upgrading the damage. If you can buy/get enough ion spike ammo to get through the level this could technically give a really high score.

Now, you guys will know better than me if this is even possible, what do you think?

dejerre
07-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Your suggestions are pritty similar to what i was doing, except for the grenades.

I wanted to score big on the last map, so i played through the story with assault rifle only, collecting all hardened armors, ugraded damage for the shotcannon and maxed out the ammo for it.
Only used the shot cannon at very close range.
I had a laser rifle with upgraded damage as a backup.

Didn't take any damage. (Which was easy considering i had 6 hardened armors and there were two more on the last map.) :D

My score was around 780.000. First place around 1.400.000.
That's almost double.
So what you are saying is that, with perfect use of stun and nades, i should be able to gain another 700.000?
Don't get me wrong, i believe you when you say it is technically possible. I just don't think it's humanly possible.

I will try your grenade tactic and let you know, but this will make surviving extremely difficult. Which will be fun ofc :cool:

ARUG
07-08-2010, 03:55 PM
i have already bought/found all hardened armours and ion ammo, used nearly all my nades on groups of aliens and the ion spike on the moss creature with rapid fire module on elite difficulty.

if i now start a game taking into consideration your scoring explanation i still don't think its possible. but i will give it a go.

ARUG
07-17-2010, 07:28 PM
i have another question, this time about the hardened armour.

whilst taking damage wearing it, does it count as Damage Taken on your final score?

billt17
07-19-2010, 02:21 AM
While wearing the Armour it doesn't add to your damage taken.

ARUG
07-19-2010, 06:53 AM
thank you for your quick response :)

ARUG
07-20-2010, 07:56 AM
sorry i got another geeky question for you, about to finish re-boot after getting 3rd place on the 2 previous maps and i was wondering what the damage ratings of the weapons are after the damage boost modules have been applied?

ARUG
07-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Our coders think that technically it could be possible to hit that score. Here are a couple of suggestions, might be worth having a go to see if they are realistic.

One suggestion is to get all the hardened armor you can on your way to level 3 and to use a combination of stun and frag grenades to max your dps out. Is it possible to finish a level just doing this?

Also we think you are onto something with regard to the ion spike. Upgrading this to rapid fire might actually give you a better dps score than upgrading the damage. If you can buy/get enough ion spike ammo to get through the level this could technically give a really high score.

Now, you guys will know better than me if this is even possible, what do you think?

theres not enough shotgun ammo so i used the flame thrower with damage boost module as backup, being the third most powerful, and only managed fifth place on re-boot.

1. madwolf: 1197529
2. DeJerre: 697724
3. ZvonimirZG: 684271
4. shadeUK: 600814
5. ARUG: 578094

on the previous maps i managed third but as mentioned by DeJerre theres a sudden jump of about fifty thousand for first place.

this is even worse on Interface with the top five scores all over a million, with a jump of about thirty thousand between sixth and fifth place.

i saved up my shotgun (with damage boost module) for the last map, used the flame thrower only a bit, and of course the Ion Spike with Rapdi Fire module, lots of upgraded grenades and hardened armours and managed fourteenth:

Killing Blows: 479
Shots Fired: 752
Skill Bonus: 345255
Damage Dealt: 396580
Damage Taken: 93
Score: 741742

i cannot see how these scores are possible given there is not enough shotgun or ion ammo to achieve them!

piydek
08-03-2010, 12:43 AM
ARUG - I really don't think that madwulf score on re-boot is possible. You'd have to play beyond perfect to get to that. I don't even think it's theoretically possible with resources you can have (without cheats) on that level, let alone humanly possible.

The only level i have a small amount of reserve about regarding those ultra-high scores is the last one, because i haven't played it as much as the others and i know i could improve my playing on that one...but i don't know how much effect that can have on the score. Anyway, there's something really fishy about some scores on maps 3, 4 and possibly 5.

Congratulations on your scores ;).

ARUG
08-03-2010, 07:54 AM
thanks, good to see you back.
i played Interface as well as i've played any sp map, catching groups of them in my grenades and ion spike and taking little damage because i had loads of armours. i meant to record the top ten and post it here to show the sudden jumps of score ...

piydek
08-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Yesterday i've finished my 4th playthrough and I've gotten to 2nd place in story mode, right above DeJerre. First is madwolf, whose scores seem to be very fishy. On the last level (interface) I've managed to get to cca 912000 points, which is 8th place.