PDA

View Full Version : FPS unlock problem

ZeroGPX
07-01-2010, 11:39 AM
I have also posted this on GameFAQs forum. When I am in vehicle form, not moving, for the same amount of wrist moment, my cross hair moves for different amount depends on whether the FPS unlock is on or not.

Copy and pasted from my post at GameFAQs
Ok I just went back into the game and do a little more testing, since I can't really "measure" the difference, but to give more of a proper image is like this:

on sensitivity setting at 70, I continuously move the mouse left the right for the same amount:

FPS unlock off:
feels like the cursor has moved about 6-7cm on screen

FPS unlock on:
feels like the cursor only moved 2-3cm on screen

I kept toggling and making sure my wrist move for roughly the same amount (I use a hallway in one of the maps to do this) during this testing. The results are consistant.

It's like for wrist no stopping
+ <------------------------> + (cursor position while off)
+ <-----> + (cursor positions while on)

that's how much the cursor moved. I did this while remaining in vehicle form. Even unlock off at Sensitivity 0 moves the cursor more than unlock on with Sensitivity 70

The above was done without and wasd movement

Has anybody encountered this? Is it normal or is there any way to avoid that?

DarkoZL:
07-01-2010, 01:12 PM
I have had this problem too, but I'm pretty sure it's only happened to me on very laggy servers. I just quit and find a better host.

Stinger911
07-01-2010, 02:32 PM
This is happening to me, too, regardless of lag. It happens in the single player campaign as well. It makes turning in vehicle mode a real chore since it is so slow.

I love the trainer, but yeah, this does seem like a bug.

ZeroGPX
07-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah I can barely make any turns with the FPS unlock on. Thank you for the replies, since I don't get any reply from GameFAQ forum, I thought I was the only one and it is my computer's problem. Yes it happens regardless of lag for me as well. I really hope Psyche can fix that part to make it perfect.

Playing at 30fps > unable to turn and watch myself crash @ 80+ fps

Stinger911
07-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, I agree.

I'm going to be playing at 30 FPS online. It looks uglier, but at least I can use vehicle mode.

I too hope Psych can figure out what's causing it, because the game looks glorious at 60+ fps.

Pluberus
07-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Thats weird. I have the slow turning vehicle camera with/out the unlocker.

pepos123
07-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I dont get it - why set it on 70

I have no problem online or not moving the vehicle - I have a G5 mouse to alter sensitivity at the click of a button.

Stinger911
07-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Pepos, I have a Logitech MX518 and I can set the sensitivity with the mouse buttons, too.

The problem is that the sensitivity only alters robot-form sensitivity. The turn radius for the vehicles is MUCH slower and less responsive than in 30 FPS mode.

pepos123
07-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Strange - I was playing campaign and multi last night, dont notice it at all. And I use vehicle form a lot...(maybe it's due to the fact I leave camera sensitivity at 30?)

Strange - chances are based on my other thread in regards to no access to mouse or gfx extended options that we have little choice atm.

ZeroGPX
07-01-2010, 10:38 PM
with no loss if generality I set the sensitivityto 70, also that us just my comfort zone

I have also tested it at 80 and compared it to when it was 0; same results were obtained.

just in case, since there are people whose vehicle turn speed seem to be unaffected by the fps unlock, I am using win7 64 bit. I wonder if that could be the reason

pepos123
07-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Hey Zero,

I'm using windows 7 64 bit and I swear I can't see a difference.

I will need to emperically verify this at home later tonight but if it is based on luck via which OS, then it's another 'that's life' tag I suppose..

Stinger911
07-01-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm on Windows 7 64 as well.

It's most apparent when using leader vehicle mode as this vehicle already has a poor turning radius.

Compare with 30 FPS vs 60 FPS. Flick it on then off and try to notice the difference.

ZeroGPX
07-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Since I have seen multiple messages misunderstanding what I have found with the FPS unlock trainer, here's another reply I had on GameFAQ to clarify what I meant:

What I have been referring to isn't the slow turn speed of the vehicle, or the difference in each vehicle; it is the affect of turning the FPS unlock on on the turning speed.

I use the same vehicle, at the same spot, continuously moving my wrist for the same amount left and right, only switching the FPS unlock training on/off, would result in a difference in turning speed.

Try this for the experiment, at a spot that people would most likely not find u for a short period of time, change in vehicle mode, which I used the scout and I couldn't say that isn't the root of the problem, keep moving your wrist left<->right for the same amount, watch the window while u press numpad 0 to switch the training on/off.

I could see a huge difference in the amount I can turn. Notice it's not about making corners, I am standing still, not moving and remaining in my vehicle form. I have repeated this test on multiple sensitivity settings, namely 0, 70,80, and find the exact same result, and on multiple days as well.

Many people has mistaken that I meant the slow turning speed in comparison to robot form, but I do remain in vehicle form through out the experiment.

Cruseydr
07-05-2010, 12:20 AM
It's unlikely we can help with a solution to this as the fps unlock is already a workaround. I would say make a choice between higher fps or correct mouse sensitivity.

ZeroGPX
07-05-2010, 02:50 AM
yeah I believe most of us have made the choice already. Just posting here so perhaps we could gather more information, which might in turn help the others who has the ability to modify/improve the work around that we have already...

Would be nice if everyone can try it and see who actually see the difference, any difference, whether they are already used to it or not. Personally I find it hard to believe that your can get used to it, because the bug actually made it impossible to turn the truck through a right corner without lifting the mouse at least 4 times for me...

Please give some feedback if anyone sees this bug, might actually be able to help locate the real root of this problem

pistolols
07-05-2010, 06:27 AM
This is a similar problem GTA4 has when running at 60fps(texture issue, too!). Alot of people complain about the driving in that game, if they locked their FPS at 30 like i did, they would notice a huge positive difference.

You guys should really just be playing this at 30. Game looks great at 30. This should be proof that you guys are ignorant and should not think you know better than the developers. IF FPS is capped at 30, it's for good reason.

Hope this has been a good lesson for you all.

ZeroGPX
07-05-2010, 11:57 AM
This is a similar problem GTA4 has when running at 60fps(texture issue, too!). Alot of people complain about the driving in that game, if they locked their FPS at 30 like i did, they would notice a huge positive difference.

You guys should really just be playing this at 30. Game looks great at 30. This should be proof that you guys are ignorant and should not think you know better than the developers. IF FPS is capped at 30, it's for good reason.

Hope this has been a good lesson for you all.

Thanks for letting us know about what GTA4 was like. However, this is a game and hence it is a computer program with codes written by the developers. Perhaps it is true that it runs best at 30FPS, on Xbox and PS3, as that seems to be what the developers optimized the game for. 30fps could be the limit of those machines. Proof is that there have been people experiencing a drop in framerate on the Xbox when the fight is intense.

However, some of our computers can handle more, and perhaps much more, than 30fps. Since only few of us notice this turning speed difference, as a few others who has already mentioned that they don't notice the slow turning speed in vehicle form, this is a situational bug. It means that with the right setting this game can be run at 30+ fps, but this slow turning bug would not appear.

If you think about it how this is only a slower turning speed in vehicle form, we could perhaps modify the turning speed, by giving each individual class a speed up factor, to obtain the proper turning speed that is being achieved at 30fps. But this can only be done to those who is having this bug at this moment.

Please don't take any programing code as if it is handed to you as the perfect code created by God. Anything that anyone writes can probably be improved when other smarter developer comes in. This game was optimized by the developers. Perhaps they had the goal in mind: to optimize the visual performance given that it is 30fps as Xbox/PS3 can handle only so much. That is not the same as having the game functional code written, then let the program optimize the FPS so it looks good. Of course I could be wrong with that but the current situation seems to support this idea.

I do not have the ability to help Psych, whom I am being very thankful as I can actually run the game at 80+ fps, to write/improve the trainer. However that does not mean with the information I can gather here, no one else who view this forum can help us get through this bug.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Stinger911
07-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Zero, have you tried e-mailing Psych?

This is a very noticeable bug for me. It makes the leader's vehicle mode almost unusable, and you lose substantial mobility as all the other classes.

pepos123
07-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Is this turning while moving or stationary?

I've tried this at home, and I'm not getting it at all. It's working fine for me...

strange.

Stinger911
07-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Pepos, it happens while moving or stationary but ONLY in vehicle mode, for whatever reason.

Like I said, it makes turning while boosting in leader's vehicle mode VERY VERY hard, because that vehicle already has a poor turning radius.

But it is still noticeable whether you are boost or not.

Basically, I sweep the mouse an equal distance from left to right and back again with the unlocker activated, and then I keep sweeping it the same distance while hitting 0 in the numpad to turn it off, and the crosshair moves drastically further across the screen while at 30 FPS. I turn the unlocker back on, and it moves drastically less while I am moving the mouse the same distance.

I have no idea why this happens. It's very strange that it ONLY happens in vehicle mode. I can't notice any difference at all in robot form.