PDA

View Full Version : What if Cpl. Shepard is a girl?

Afamad 2.1
07-01-2010, 10:54 PM
I mean, we never see its face. No one ever uses the word "he" when they're talking about Shepard. On the cover Shepard looks bulky, but it could just be all the equipment.

Hive Mind
07-01-2010, 11:03 PM
He's not. He is called "sir" at least 80 times throughout the game. And even if the armor was just bulk, I think I certain area would be slightly more "bulky".
I just hope you didn't give VALVe any ideas by making this thread.
Besides, he just isn't. Obviously.

Afamad 2.1
07-02-2010, 01:10 AM
He's not. He is called "sir" at least 80 times throughout the game. And even if the armor was just bulk, I think I certain area would be slightly more "bulky".
I just hope you didn't give VALVe any ideas by making this thread.
Besides, he just isn't. Obviously.

I've seen multiple occassions where troops in real life call women of upper ranks sir. It's just a military tradition.

EDJE
07-02-2010, 02:23 AM
Adrian? Is that a girl's name?

Vonje
07-02-2010, 04:57 AM
I hope you're joking.

gorpie
07-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Adrian is generally the masculine form of Adrienne.

But it can also depend on how good at spelling the person who fills out the birth certificate is. Or whether they're trying to be creative.

Shephard could be female, but I actually hope not for some reason (I'm a girl).

Afamad 2.1
07-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Hey, there's a girl named Adrian in my school. That is what made me think about this.

barneyinblue
07-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Rocky: Yo, Adrian.

Subject: Adrian Shephard - Male, age 22 (this is from the intro).

It's also Shephard, not Shepard.

Afamad 2.1
07-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Rocky: Yo, Adrian.

Subject: Adrian Shephard - Male, age 22 (this is from the intro).

It's also Shephard, not Shepard.

Oh wow. I forgot about the intro....

Thanks for ruining my idea...

λεєrio
07-03-2010, 03:55 AM
maybe Gordon Freeman is a woman, i mean, We've never heard him talk...

Organon_Abussos
07-03-2010, 07:25 AM
And what if then? So what?

Vonje
07-03-2010, 10:07 AM

You're judging genders only by their voice? You'll offend a lot of boys with late puberty.

gestures468
07-03-2010, 11:43 AM
You're judging genders only by their voice? You'll offend a lot of boys with late puberty.

*laughs* it's true

gestures468
07-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Adrian? Is that a girl's name?

Rocky's wife is named Adrian (rocky the boxer played by stalone)

Afamad 2.1
07-03-2010, 11:47 AM

What kind of woman has a goatee?

gorpie
07-03-2010, 01:20 PM

An unfortunate one? :D

(Don't hit me. I should be able to say that since I'm a woman, though maybe I do deserve a scowl.)

EDJE
07-05-2010, 09:44 PM
*scowl*

gestures468
07-05-2010, 09:48 PM
If he was actulaly a girl his would have... err...for lack of a better term, "proportions"

and in the begining it says Adrian Shepard, Male Age 22

EDJE
07-05-2010, 10:25 PM
But what if he's an Iron Man? (Fe = Iron in the Table of Elements + Man = Male = Female.)

gorpie
07-06-2010, 04:15 AM
*scowl*

Thank you. Though I expected one from a woman in that circumstance, not a guy. :p

If he was actulaly a girl his would have... err...for lack of a better term, "proportions"

and in the begining it says Adrian Shepard, Male Age 22

Ignoring the stats shown at the beginning, it would depend on the woman as to what her "proportions" are. :)

But what if he's an Iron Man? (Fe = Iron in the Table of Elements + Man = Male = Female.)

Good one, as usual. :D

EDJE
07-06-2010, 05:19 AM
I aim to please. :D

gestures468
07-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Ignoring the stats shown at the beginning, it would depend on the woman as to what her "proportions" are. :)

Well yes, but I've never seen a woman whoose "proportions" look exactly like a man(unless its the equipment wich (I think) is unlikly)

gorpie
07-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Well yes, but I've never seen a woman whoose "proportions" look exactly like a man(unless its the equipment wich (I think) is unlikly)

I just mean, maybe she doesn't have much in the way of hips or breasts, you know... Then you put them into semi-shapeless fatigues. Then it might depend on the hair. :)

gestures468
07-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Then it might depend on the hair. :)

Then you mean if Adrian has long hair hes a girl well I know some girl with short hair and a lot of boys with long hair but thats just the teenage fashions of now I guess back in the 1990s men had mens hair and women had womans hair...

and you make a good point if Adrian was a girl with small "proportions" in shapeless fatigues she might look like a man but what video games have you played (other than possible this one) that video game women have small "proportions"?

gorpie
07-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Then you mean if Adrian has long hair hes a girl well I know some girl with short hair and a lot of boys with long hair but thats just the teenage fashions of now I guess back in the 1990s men had mens hair and women had womans hair...

and you make a good point if Adrian was a girl with small "proportions" in shapeless fatigues she might look like a man but what video games have you played (other than possible this one) that video game women have small "proportions"?

NO! Gawd, we're still debating this???

I think a person can have whatever hair style they choose. But, I'm sorry, depending on a guy's physique, if he's got long hair and I'm walking behind him I might assume he's a woman.

Let's talk military now. Unless they changed things since I was in, men have short hair. Women can have short hair or long hair--if they have long hair it has to be up while they're on duty.

So take a non-curvy woman with short hair and whatever kind of face you want (I don't care anymore) and stick her in some non-tailored fatigues, and from a distance she could be mistaken for a guy.

Okay, let's talk games now. You're absolutely right. Alyx is the only female character I know of with small "proportions".

:Proceeds to run out of the thread crying "uncle":

gestures468
07-06-2010, 01:47 PM
But, I'm sorry, depending on a guy's physique, if he's got long hair and I'm walking behind him I might assume he's a woman.

I have both been a victim of this and done this lol

Okay, let's talk games now. You're absolutely right. Alyx is the only female character I know of with small "proportions".

also Chell kinda (atleast cmpared to most female video game characters)

gorpie
07-06-2010, 05:25 PM
I have both been a victim of this and done this lol

Thankfully I've never gotten to the point of saying, "Excuse me, ma'am" or anything! :D

also Chell kinda (atleast cmpared to most female video game characters)

And, yes, Chell too. :sigh: Aside from HL2 I have mostly played RPGs (Crysis with new rig--SOMEtime this year). At least in the ones I play, the female form isn't really exaggerated all that much.

If you think of any others, by all means post them! (If you want to.) :p

gestures468
07-06-2010, 08:02 PM
lets get back on topic now if Adrian was a girl why do the other soldiers call her/him sir?

(Man this is starting to get like how the pyro is)

gorpie
07-06-2010, 08:19 PM
As stated before, in some militaries it is common to call all officers sir, regardless of gender. (Actually, since he's an NCO he probably shouldn't be being called Sir at all, now that I think about it.)

gestures468
07-06-2010, 08:52 PM
this could actulaly be true i mean many people didnt know samus was a girl until she was in a bikini at the end of the nes game so mabye adrian would be in episode 3 or half life 3 and at some point take off his (or her) mask

EDJE
07-07-2010, 03:41 AM
Honestly, who really cares? What if Cpl. Shepard is a girl?

gorpie
07-07-2010, 03:45 AM
I actually don't know if either gestures or I care (I don't), and I don't know why we're still debating it, but it's been fun. :)

gestures468
07-07-2010, 07:50 AM
I actually don't know if either gestures or I care (I don't), and I don't know why we're still debating it, but it's been fun. :)

I dont know if i care either (I havent even beaten the game yet) but it has been fun debating

EDJE
07-07-2010, 07:24 PM
I definitely agree, it's fun to debate, and to pass the time. God knows we need something to do the latter.

D!ffr@c+0r
07-08-2010, 08:25 AM

ROFL but again, the intro clears that up.

D!ffr@c+0r
07-08-2010, 08:26 AM

Italian? LOL

D!ffr@c+0r
07-08-2010, 08:42 AM
this could actulaly be true i mean many people didnt know samus was a girl until she was in a bikini at the end of the nes game so mabye adrian would be in episode 3 or half life 3 and at some point take off his (or her) mask

It would be amusing but I doubt it would happen due to the fact that Opposing Force was a non-canon Gearbox Software construct...

gestures468
07-08-2010, 09:15 AM
It would be amusing but I doubt it would happen due to the fact that Opposing Force was a non-canon Gearbox Software construct...

actulaly all of Blue Shift and Oposing Force(yes even Race X) are to be considered cannon until VALVe proves other wise.

gorpie
07-08-2010, 03:17 PM
actulaly all of Blue Shift and Oposing Force(yes even Race X) are to be considered cannon until VALVe proves other wise.

Well, not really. :)

According to Marc Laidlaw, canon versus non-canon is more of a fan deal. They like to leave things open. The only definitely Valve-approved canonical event in the expansions is the nuking of Black Mesa at the end of Op4. Everything else is open for debate until they decide one way or another--if they ever do.

I, personally, think of the events in the expansions as having happened. I think the Calhoun in Blue Shift is HL2's Barney.

gestures468
07-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I, personally, think of the events in the expansions as having happened.

me too i want to see race x again in HL3

also unrelated how do you make spoiler text?

gorpie
07-08-2010, 07:32 PM
me too i want to see race x again in HL3

also unrelated how do you make spoiler text?

You could just quote my reply and see. [ spoileri ] in-line text [ /spoileri ]

The spoileri command lets you hide just a few words within a sentence.

or [ spoiler ] paragraph you want to hide [ /spoiler ]

Using the spoiler command hides a whole paragraph.

Don't use any spaces between the command and the brackets. :)

gestures468
07-09-2010, 03:55 PM
like dis?
yayz i did it

D!ffr@c+0r
07-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Interesting... So it's open until declared otherwise! I really do wonder what Valve's Half-Life 2 Episodic team things of Gearbox's writer's point of view in the few places it matters, such as references to the past Black Mesa.

All that seems to matter now is COMBINE this and BOREALIS that.

barneyinblue
07-13-2010, 08:20 AM
There is enough cheesy Black Mesa references in Half-Life 2 series. Half-Life 2 was designed as a standalone game, not require anyone to know the original game, or it's expansion packs.

I think Shephard deserves his own game, rather than being a simple reference in the series.

D!ffr@c+0r
07-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Right, and cheesy was how they sounded. I agree, but will a mod suffice? You've heard of Operation Black Mesa, right?

barneyinblue
07-13-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm not interested in any kind of remake.

gorpie
07-13-2010, 04:50 PM
But plenty of people are interested. :shrug:

EDJE
07-13-2010, 06:47 PM
I'd rather a game starring Cpl. Shepard to be a new IP, if anything. I don't want him/her to "tarnish" the Half-Life series. ;)

barneyinblue
07-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Very funny. I'd love to see more of you on The Jay Leno show.