PDA

View Full Version : A real pity

Fishpig
07-02-2010, 10:36 AM
I've been a fan of space combat trader games since taking turns with my brother on Elite for the beeb, so after reading a positive review of the X-box release of this game and finding the PC version for just a couple of quid I thought "2? What can go wrong?". well...after downloading I start it for the first time and get the (apparently well known) Walhalla Exception seconds after starting. Reading around I find out that the game simply doesn't work on Vista without noodling around in the registry and copying some system files from here to there. No big deal, but half an hour's work I could have done without.
Then I start up successfully, endure some god-awful voice acting and get into space pretty quickly, only to find it has no option to reverse the y-axis on the mouse, something taken for granted since Quake.
Now, I realise I am in a minority but I am simply unable to adjust to this in spite of many attempts. Reading around again it seems it was promised in a patch that never arrived and now probably never will.
I'm not hugely bitter. Steam states the OS supported is XP so I can have no complaints there, and I can't really expect them to mention my minority requirement for reversing the y-axis isn't supported. Other than getting a whinge off my chest I suppose I'm just hoping I might prevent someone else wasting 2.03 on a game they'll never play.

elixenie
07-04-2010, 01:17 AM
Yuck, thanks for the heads up. In the past, Vista-only warnings were made to stand out with orange text set aside in its own little box. Maybe it was just an oversight.

This is probably not useful advice but how would I know: If reversing the X axis won't throw you off as badly, you might use a program like Logitech Setpoint to rebind the main mouse button functions onto any side buttons intended for your thumb. You could then turn the thing upside-down and click the thumb buttons with your ring and index finger.

:confused:

Or something.

Anson2100
07-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I saw options to reverse x y or z axis from the options control menu. 3 boxes at the very top check to reverse.

Het
08-27-2010, 07:57 PM
I use Vista 64 and the game runs fine, never had an issue of any kind with stability or compatability....And the controls do let you reverse the axis...I also play with "aircraft-style" controls...Only way I can play...and that's the way I always played this game, also.

Jezuz
10-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Few things. Take the voice acting light heartedly, rather than being bitter about it being a foreign made game. Never have had an issue with Vista, and I played this game back in 08 from the disk, and again this year with absolutely no problems. This is on Vista 32, so it's not that it doesn't work on Vista.

This is one of the most fun space trader type games I've ever played, and my experience goes back quite a few years. The combat is enjoyable, the graphics are the best I've seen despite being very old now, and the RPG elements are superb. There are problems, but given the relatively limited supply of modern games in this genre, I'm in no position to be picky over things that really are minor flaws, or absolutely hilarious like the voice acting.

Not saying the game is for everyone, but you truly should not think you're getting a masterpiece for the amount of cash you paid for it. Enjoy it for what it's worth, and be glad someone was able to make in this genre in this day and age.

monsterZER0
10-31-2010, 06:26 AM
Yeah, just for the record guys, I have win7 64 and this game runs fine. No issues with the controls at all, I was able to map my joystick (logitech Extreme 3D pro) to my liking. This isn't the next x3, by any means, but for the price I definitely enjoyed this game.:)