PDA

View Full Version : Will i need to patch steam version?

Kroax_aa
07-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Im thinking of buying the X-Com collection off of steam (almost certainly will) but i have seen a few threads around the internet talking about patches and things like Xcomutil.

So i was wondering if i bought these games would i be fine playing it as it is or is it recommended i check out Xcomutil or patch it or something? :confused:

Ben.EEeee
07-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah just patch it with Xcomutil. Especially important with X-Com 2 with that stupid research bug.

Kazei
07-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Xcomutil makes the game much more enjoyable. Fixes bugs and adds a few game enhancements. Here's the thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1113400

Btw, you missed the sale for the XCOM Pack. It was $3.74 on June 29th. :)

Kroax_aa
07-03-2010, 04:24 AM
Yea i know!!! I noticed i missed it a couple of days after it had been which makes it worse.

At least they are still pretty cheap and i am sure they are more than worth the current price anyway. :)

(edit)

So i bought the collection today and installed the first 3 games. However in the first two games im getting a mouse problem. The x-axis speed seems fine but the y-axis is slower which is incredibly annoying.

I think i saw this mentioned in these forums but i couldnt find a solution to this problem. Any advice? I have an Logitech MX518 mouse running on vista if that helps.

Bfox
07-03-2010, 03:24 PM
However in the first two games im getting a mouse problem. The x-axis speed seems fine but the y-axis is slower which is incredibly annoying.

Using the Logitech G9 myself, setting acceleration to 0 instead of 1 fixes it, but the G9 has a different user interface, not sure what it would look like to you...

Moongoose
07-07-2010, 11:56 AM
How do I actually install the patch? I have it downloaded but not sure what to do with it.

BladeFireLight
07-08-2010, 04:06 PM
If your referring the XcomUtil and you downloaded the EXE version just run it and it should find your steam folder (if you haven't moved it) and walk you through the setup.

Moongoose
07-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Do I need to run Xcomutil for each game? Right now I only have UFO defense installed but I have TFTD and Apocalypse as well.

forsakenlight
07-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Um I do not really think there is a reason to use this anymore to be honest.
I played genius mode on the first game and it was certainly quite a bit harder than beginner. My base got attacked in the first week and attacked a couple times a month thereafter. And all the aliens were crack shots.
The only reasons I could see for using it would be if you like to choose your battles. I want to fight this ship with these aliens with these weapons on this terrain. Or at least that's what I gathered from the site. Anyway I would rather just play the game in it's default form and as I said I don't think there is any difficulty bug any more. Not sure on the research trees tho.

BladeFireLight
07-11-2010, 10:54 AM
The DOS version of UFO from steam has the difficulty bug. The windows EXE does not. STEAM will launch the DOS version by default because it has less compatibility problems.

XcomUtil is only compatible with UFO and TFTD.

forsakenlight
07-11-2010, 11:20 AM
The DOS version of UFO from steam has the difficulty bug. The windows EXE does not. STEAM will launch the DOS version by default because it has less compatibility problems.

XcomUtil is only compatible with UFO and TFTD.

This is funny because if you read my post at all you will see I had no difficulty bug. All I use is steam version because I am lazy and everything works without doing this and that and the other thing.
Dunno maybe I am lucky but no problems here.
Maybe they fixed the bug and didn't say anything about it. :confused:

And I know the bug you are talking about, I tried playing on superhuman once a long time ago and it was not any harder than beginner.

BladeFireLight
07-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Doing a byte for byte comparison to the STEAM DOS EXE to the 1.4 EXE and they are the same. Once you enter combat the game will revert to beginner. If the aliens ever miss a shot then your not on superhuman.

The difficulty bug is in ufoexe\geoscape.exe, if the value at 0x175BCL is _NOT_ 0x40 then you have the difficulty bug

XcomUtil 9.7 will automatically patch this (and say it's going to) during setup

forsakenlight
07-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Doing a byte for byte comparison to the STEAM DOS EXE to the 1.4 EXE and they are the same. Once you enter combat the game will revert to beginner. If the aliens ever miss a shot then your not on superhuman.

The difficulty bug is in ufoexe\geoscape.exe, if the value at 0x175BCL is _NOT_ 0x40 then you have the difficulty bug

XcomUtil 9.7 will automatically patch this (and say it's going to) during setup

Hmm well I have no way of checking for this. But I did not play superhuman. And even after entering the combat the aliens almost always hit even with obstruction and from the other side of the map. And even after the base attack in the first week they continued to attack my base repeatedly and with very good aim.
I had to make sure I could kill any alien I saw before it could react fire or I would throw a grenade and hide.
This does not strike me as beginner difficulty. Maybe the bug only has to do with superhuman? Maybe I had some unique experience? Again this was on genius. :confused:
I really have no desire for superhuman tho, genius is a good mix of difficulty and enjoyability for me.

Ben.EEeee
07-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Hmm well I have no way of checking for this. But I did not play superhuman. And even after entering the combat the aliens almost always hit even with obstruction and from the other side of the map. And even after the base attack in the first week they continued to attack my base repeatedly and with very good aim.
I had to make sure I could kill any alien I saw before it could react fire or I would throw a grenade and hide.
This does not strike me as beginner difficulty. Maybe the bug only has to do with superhuman? Maybe I had some unique experience? Again this was on genius. :confused:
I really have no desire for superhuman tho, genius is a good mix of difficulty and enjoyability for me.

It's called a cognitive bias - X-Com is a pretty random game and difficult, so shots fired will still hit from across the map even at beginner's level.

IIRC, the only difference between difficulty levels are alien stats, spawn rates and calculation of points. The actual "cleverness" of the AI is not affected, so they'll just as likely invade you during your first week in beginner as on superhuman difficulty, given the right conditions.

What you've faced is a simple case of bad luck.

forsakenlight
07-12-2010, 09:37 PM
It's called a cognitive bias - X-Com is a pretty random game and difficult, so shots fired will still hit from across the map even at beginner's level.

IIRC, the only difference between difficulty levels are alien stats, spawn rates and calculation of points. The actual "cleverness" of the AI is not affected, so they'll just as likely invade you during your first week in beginner as on superhuman difficulty, given the right conditions.

What you've faced is a simple case of bad luck.

Maybe you are right who knows
But I have played x-com on and off since it was released so the game is not really hard to me. But these guys were giving me a run for my money since most of their shots were hitting and they were eating bullets while laughing at me.
And these were sectoids, taking hits from the heavy cannon and laughing at me. I shot one with the tank and he shot the tank right back...
And they did not just invade my base once, they did it several times. So much that I said screw it and went back to playing borderlands.
Maybe it is just that it has been a while and I perceived things as harder and maybe I was unlucky with getting my base attacked 4 or 5 times and all the terror missions. Maybe I am just getting old. ha

Ben.EEeee
07-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Maybe you are right who knows
But I have played x-com on and off since it was released so the game is not really hard to me. But these guys were giving me a run for my money since most of their shots were hitting and they were eating bullets while laughing at me.
And these were sectoids, taking hits from the heavy cannon and laughing at me. I shot one with the tank and he shot the tank right back...
And they did not just invade my base once, they did it several times. So much that I said screw it and went back to playing borderlands.
Maybe it is just that it has been a while and I perceived things as harder and maybe I was unlucky with getting my base attacked 4 or 5 times and all the terror missions. Maybe I am just getting old. ha

I'm certain that AI behaviour doesn't change with difficulty level - it is after all, quite an old game.

You can test to see if you're playing on a higher difficulty by Mind Probing an alien and then compare it's stats. That's what I usually do after a reinstall/new game. A Sectoid should have 54 TUs in beginner and 62 on superhuman.

forsakenlight
07-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Hmm but I never play superhuman, I don't like things too hard. So is that like 60 for genius? I may hook that pc up again and check it out some time.

Ben.EEeee
07-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Yes it's 60 TUs on Genius. Just use an editor to give yourself a mind-probe and use it on your 2nd mission. After you're done, discard that mind-probe. Don't research it till you've found one on the field.

On Genius, a sectoid soldier will have:

60 TU
33 Energy
61 Firing Accuracy
74 Reaction Time