PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of war dark crusade crashes immediately.

armageddon74400
07-02-2010, 08:14 PM
First off: I'm using Vista Home Basic 32bit
Well basically, I bought the THQ complete pack before yesterday and after installing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I went on to install WarHammer 40k Dawn of war: Dark Crusade, The install went perfectly, but every time I try to launch it steam gives me the preparing to launch dialog, the window pops up (I set it to windowed mode after the first 5 crashes to see if it would help), then the window goes from black to gray and I get a notification that says: "Warhammer 40 000: Dawn Of War has stopped working If I click on "View problem details" it says:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: darkcrusade.exe
Application Version: 1.4.0.0
Application Timestamp: 45fb2f0b
Fault Module Name: Steam.dll_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4c22a332
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 301e9f85
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.2
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: ee0c
Additional Information 2: 0f3137665bbf0bb676c8a16f3fa76e52
Additional Information 3: bbd7
Additional Information 4: 4380fbb11e55a1cec2b26575e38ef834

I've tried: launching the game directly from it's folder (it worked for titan quest), replacing the steam.dll file with a new one, I've defragmented and verified the integrity of the game cache several times, setting compatability mode to Xp Sp2 for "darkcrusade.exe", turning on administrator privileges for "darkcrusade.exe" (made it so that whenever every time I tried to start it up it got stuck in an infinite loop of "preparing to launch >>> Program wants access >>> Allow >>> Preparing to launch >>> etc...").
EDIT: I've also tried renaming the blob file to force steam update, again with no improvements.

I've tried everything I can think of with no luck so, any tips?

sortedout
07-02-2010, 08:27 PM
uh... have you tried turning it off... and den, turning it back on...?

armageddon74400
07-02-2010, 08:33 PM
have you 'verified' the files (cache)?
Several times.

armageddon74400
07-02-2010, 08:35 PM
uh... have you tried turning it off... and den, turning it back on...?
yeah, it didn't do anything.

sortedout
07-02-2010, 08:37 PM
perhaps you've some AV or firewall util(s) running that could be impeding launch

armageddon74400
07-02-2010, 08:40 PM
perhaps you've some AV or firewall util(s) running that could be impeding launch

I've tried turning off both windows defender and AVG free, still nothing.

Latharion
07-02-2010, 10:06 PM
If all else fails, you can try deleting the game, then redownloading it and installing it again. It sounds like the main executable file may be corrupted.

Another possibility is that STALKER might use SecuRom, which could be creating problems with DoW. Dark Crusade itself has no copy protection (the protection was removed during one of the patches).

Another possibility is you might have a bad stick of RAM. It's probably not the case, but it's also not beyond the realm of possibility. RAM problems can manifest in many unexpected ways. A free RAM tester can be found here http://www.memtest86.com
Many people use this tester and can verify it's validity if needed.

Another possibility could be your video or audio drivers. I had serious problems with my Nvidia based card until I upgraded my drivers. Dark Crusade would crash one me, sometimes mid-game, and sometimes right away. It turned out to be misbehaving drivers.

Perhaps one of thise will do the trick. :cool:

armageddon74400
07-03-2010, 12:27 PM
If all else fails, you can try deleting the game, then redownloading it and installing it again. It sounds like the main executable file may be corrupted.

Another possibility is that STALKER might use SecuRom, which could be creating problems with DoW. Dark Crusade itself has no copy protection (the protection was removed during one of the patches).

Another possibility is you might have a bad stick of RAM. It's probably not the case, but it's also not beyond the realm of possibility. RAM problems can manifest in many unexpected ways. A free RAM tester can be found here http://www.memtest86.com
Many people use this tester and can verify it's validity if needed.

Another possibility could be your video or audio drivers. I had serious problems with my Nvidia based card until I upgraded my drivers. Dark Crusade would crash one me, sometimes mid-game, and sometimes right away. It turned out to be misbehaving drivers.

Perhaps one of thise will do the trick. :cool:

I'm a bit hesitant to delete and reinstall Dark Crusade seeing as it's a fairly large download (5GB) and I don't want to have to wait to download all of that just to have it not work again. Plus, I also tried installing Winter Assault and it had the exact same problem so it's starting to seem like the entire dawn of war series disagrees with my computer (which is weird because the soulstorm demo worked just fine).

A quick search revealed that S.T.A.L.K.E.R, or at least the steam version, doesn't have SecuRom so it can't be that.

Memtest didn't reveal anything, so ram's out too.

I guess I'll try to update my drivers, I'll post afterward saying if it helped.

armageddon74400
07-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I updated my graphics drivers, didn't do anything.

Thanks for trying to help though ^-^

I'm thinking it's a problem with my steam installation though, seeing as it lists "steam.dll_unloaded" as the fault module, I'll try reinstalling it later.

civcom12
07-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Exact same problem. Same fault module and everything. I've randomly had it work before while going between the EXEs. Before you do it though deleting the game doesn't help.

armageddon74400
08-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Ok well something weird just happened. The error seemed to be occuring in all the games in the DOW1 series, but earlier today I remembered that the dawn of war soulstorm demo had worked, I also remembered that I hadn't tried downloading soulstorm yet due to it being the largest one (5gb) and the fact that it would probably just produce the same error but I downloaded today and, it worked! I'm gonna try to download another dow1 game and see if it magically works now or if it's just soulstorm that does. It's fairly strange if it's the only one that works though :/

EDIT: Nope, only soulstorm runs -_-

argon255
05-08-2011, 10:18 AM
I have the same problem. Exactly the same. I have the platinum pack. Sometimes it will launch, sometimes it wouldn't. Mostly wont. Also my soulstorm game always launch. I didn't acquire by steam, i bought it at retail.

I use an old machine. AMD Athlon Tf-20 1.6 Mhz; Ati mobility radeon 3200; 2 GB; Windows 7 Starter 32 bits. Also have norton 360 v5.0

The game sometimes works after i had verify the game cache integrity (it always say "all files successfully validated"). And sometimes works also after i had run the GraphicsConfig.exe utility and choose safe mode.

Anyway, those solutions rarely work, and i spent a lot of time just trying to lunch Dark Crusade.

Somebody has come with something new besides throwing my lap through a window and getting a new one??

caksz
02-24-2012, 04:38 PM
2012 same problems

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2531515