PDA

View Full Version : Huge performance issue

Flapperbol
07-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Bought the game in the Steamsales and tried to play it today...

No matter what I try, even on the lowest settings with everything disabled the game stutters ( I get about 1 frame per 5 seconds)

Also, the loading screen only looks great with everything maxed out, on all the other settings it's just squares "painting".
I'm also not sure if 'pop-up windows' in the main menu (the ones who tell you "new game" etc) are supposed to be green with white text

Specs:
CPU: Core2Quad Q8200 2.33 Ghz
GPU; Ati 4870

You'd think I would be able to run this "simple" game when I can run Crysis on Max settings...

obscurelyric
07-04-2010, 04:50 AM
Hey, this stuff happens - it's the price we PC gamers sometimes have to pay for playing on such versatile and powerful systems.

I'm sure you're no rookie if you've tweaked Crysis to run well at max settings, especially as that is very taxing on newer GPU's than you have (I have a 4870 too), but I'll run through a few things.

First, the game requires DX9 libraries. I'm sure you have these, but I know I ran into some porblems when I built a new system lately - namely that MS's latest distributions of DX sometimes don't include everything you need to be backwards compatiable. I think the game should install the libaries needed through steam, but it might be worth looking to see what exactly you have on your system.

Secondly, the requirements page lists you must have a DX9.0c compatiable audio card. Sound hardware/drivers can have a massive impact on game performance and it is not uncommon for games to stutter at 1fps because of sound issues. What sound card do you have? Do you have an integrated sound chip instead? Have you tried choosing low quality sound from the sound tab of the configuration utility (right click in library, run configuration or somesuch). You could also try looking into the dxdiag utility (start, run, dxdiag if you don't know) to see if there are any problems listed under sound. I don't think Crysis requires a DX9.0c compatiable sound card (EDIT: just checked, it does so I'm wrong). You can also check your pagefile in the dxdiag utility, though I doubt this is the problem.

Lastly, because I know this happened to me recently with all the amazing sales, how much space do you have on your gaming partition? I know I filled mine up, which isn't really a problem with Steam because it donwloads games unfragmented, but if you've recently free'ed up some space on your partition then Steam may have had no option but to spread the game across the whole drive. I ran into this problem and ended up with a very badly fragmented game that ran less than optimally. Have a look on the games property page for fragmentation and, if it is quite bad, try getting rid of old catalogued games (back them up to a DVD or something first if you want) and use Steam's defrag utility in the property.

Another thing to check is your settings in the ATI CCC (Catalyst Control Centre). Sometimes it can cause problems if you try to force settings on in the drivers - have you tried switching everything to application controlled in the 3D options and turning any other setting to performance?

Nobody can help further than general housekeeping tips until we know more about your system. What drivers are you running, what sound card/chip do you have? Can you post a screenshot of the corrupted load screen?

Flapperbol
07-04-2010, 05:54 AM
Firstly, thanks for trying to help me out, I appreciate that:)

First, the game requires DX9 libraries. I'm sure you have these, but I know I ran into some porblems when I built a new system lately - namely that MS's latest distributions of DX sometimes don't include everything you need to be backwards compatiable. I think the game should install the libaries needed through steam, but it might be worth looking to see what exactly you have on your system.
I did find a topic on here about the game's cache folder supposedly being around 80mb, while mine only 27mb. I do think I have the DX9 libraries since I never ran into problems with my other Steam games, okay with the exception of Saints Row 2
(According to my Steamprofile I have 148 games right now)

Secondly, the requirements page lists you must have a DX9.0c compatiable audio card. Sound hardware/drivers can have a massive impact on game performance and it is not uncommon for games to stutter at 1fps because of sound issues. What sound card do you have? Do you have an integrated sound chip instead? Have you tried choosing low quality sound from the sound tab of the configuration utility (right click in library, run configuration or somesuch). You could also try looking into the dxdiag utility (start, run, dxdiag if you don't know) to see if there are any problems listed under sound. I don't think Crysis requires a DX9.0c compatiable sound card (EDIT: just checked, it does so I'm wrong). You can also check your pagefile in the dxdiag utility, though I doubt this is the problem.
I have an integrated sound chip in this PC, also have tried running the game with low audio settings (everything else also on lowest possible settings) still no luck

Lastly, because I know this happened to me recently with all the amazing sales, how much space do you have on your gaming partition? I know I filled mine up, which isn't really a problem with Steam because it donwloads games unfragmented, but if you've recently free'ed up some space on your partition then Steam may have had no option but to spread the game across the whole drive. I ran into this problem and ended up with a very badly fragmented game that ran less than optimally. Have a look on the games property page for fragmentation and, if it is quite bad, try getting rid of old catalogued games (back them up to a DVD or something first if you want) and use Steam's defrag utility in the property.
My games HDD is about 1,22 TB with 400GB Free. Just to be sure I defragmented te game through Steam, but without luck.

Another thing to check is your settings in the ATI CCC (Catalyst Control Centre). Sometimes it can cause problems if you try to force settings on in the drivers - have you tried switching everything to application controlled in the 3D options and turning any other setting to performance?
Did notice I forced Vsync through this, but after I set this to "Let application manage" the game still does not work correctly

Nobody can help further than general housekeeping tips until we know more about your system. What drivers are you running, what sound card/chip do you have? Can you post a screenshot of the corrupted load screen?
Tried making screenshots, but they all turned out black.
But all the ingame text has this green box around it and the letters itself are white/pink-ish (It looks terrible so my guess is that this isn't supposed to happen)
(I don't get a corrupted loadscreen, the game just runs terribly at 1 frame per 5 seconds)

I'm running the latest ATI drivers (16/06/2010)
Motherboard: MSI P45C (IIRC)
As for sounddrivers, I think I let windows 7 download these (Through Windows Update)