PDA

View Full Version : Bad Sound... Help!

General Hoohah
07-05-2010, 01:38 AM
I'm having a problem with the sound in Survivor. I'm hearing a lot of static and scratches in the sound, and I have no idea what's causing it. I tried changing the sound options several times... but no change. My sound drivers are already updated... so I can't fathom what the problem could be and I don't see anyone else complaining about this problem. Can anyone help me?

General Hoohah
07-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Great, now I'm having another problem on top of this. Sounds are breaking and looping forever. Its usually the sound of a crate or a barrel, hitting the ground after a fall. That sound just loops forever, even in the menu it doesn't go away. What the heck....

JoelFB
07-05-2010, 02:30 AM
Sounds a bit weird, but there have been strange sound problems every now and then in the past as well. I'll PM you with one possible solution.

General Hoohah
07-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Didn't change anything. Its exactly the same, no matter which dll I use.

JoelFB
07-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Right, sorry to hear. Can you post your system specs?

Also, there's this thread (http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=351) on our own forums, where a user suggest turning off hardware acceleration for sounds - run dxdiag.exe, go to the sound tab and set the "hardware acceleration level" to "no acceleration". This may help.

Depending on your system, do you have a different soundcard, perhaps a motherboard integrated one? Switching to that might help if it's possible.

General Hoohah
07-06-2010, 05:24 PM
I don't have a sound card, just integrated Realtek HD.

And I thought I already tried turning off acceleration but I'll try it.

General Hoohah
07-07-2010, 02:50 AM
It'll take me a bit to get that info. I had it somewhere, but it was deleted... I'll have to look at my newegg receipts.

I turned off sound acceleration, and even though it stops the sound looping, it makes the popping scratchy static much much worse. So I chose the loops. They're less annoying, and I can always move away from the spot where its coming from. Lesser of two evils. They always sound like a beat for industrial music. lol

I'd also like to mention something. The sentries suck. Seriously, they NEVER have enough ammo which has gotten me killed many many times... and if you accidentally shoot one... they take MASSIVE amounts of damage from player weapons... whats up with that? Since its friendly, shouldn't it not take any damage? Friendly humans don't... so why do the sentries? I've accidentally killed them many times. You can't always control where something bounces like a rail gun shot or a grenade.

JoelFB
07-07-2010, 06:11 AM
Yeah the sentries have their share of problems, they're useful in some situations but indeed they break too easily (and it would've probably been better if you could fix them on the spot instead of picking them up and placing them again). I don't remember how the ammo stuff goes - it might be related to the actual Minigun ammo you have (+ perhaps a small default amount). Just a guess.

As for the sounds, you could try messing around with the Config\options.txt file. There's an audio section like this:

Sounds
{
ambient_volume = 80
fx_enabled = 1
fx_volume = 87
master_volume = 100
music_enabled = 1
music_shuffle = 1
music_volume = 87
sound_max_hardware_channels = 32
sound_mixrate = 44100
sound_required_hardware_channels = 16
sound_software_channels = 32
sound_speaker_type = stereo
sound_use_eax = 0
sound_use_hardware = 0
sounds_enabled = 1
speech_enabled = 1
speech_volume = 100
}

You could try e.g. disabling music (just put 0 instead of 1), sounds, or speech and see if any combination gets rid of the noises. You could also try e.g. 22050 mixrate. One thing that may also help is to try headphones instead of speakers (in the Launcher, although I guess sound_speaker_type = headphones also works). Or even mono speakers just to be sure. If these have any effect on the issue, then here's a few others (which don't really "work" in the normal situation but who knows):

sound_speaker_type = quad
sound_speaker_type = surround
sound_speaker_type = dolby

I'd also double-check the drivers, and perhaps even try installing an older version of the drivers (although I'd say it should depend on how badly you want this fixed, because there's always a risk of breaking something else).

I'm getting a little out of ideas after these. The only thing that we could still try is to use the game console (F8) to play the sounds and see if there's any issues that way (it's basically the same as the game playing the sounds, it just might help isolate the problem). So here's a few, open the console with the F8 key and write:

playSoundEffect Data/Sounds/Defaultfx/Use/button_beep1.wav

playSoundEffect Data/Sounds/Vocals/en/sniper04_warning_hostiles.wav

playStreamedSound Data/Sounds/Cinematics/sniper04_endhack.ogg

playSoundEffect Data/Sounds/Special/alienturret_destruction.ogg

Maybe it could be related to just .ogg files or just .wav...

Let me know which things you test, and let me know what happens... Sorry that this is so complicated...

General Hoohah
07-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Here, I found a text file with my system specs burried in My Documents. I'll just copy and paste. My OS is WinXPSP2. Sorry but I really don't feel like picking through it and editing it.

System:
Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case (5x 120mm & 1x 200mm Fans), housing:

ENERMAX MAGMA UC-MA12 120mm Case Fan

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ940XCGIBOX

XIGMATEK dark knight - s1283 120mm CPU Cooler

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664GK

Video:
HIS H487X2F2GP Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX

Video Card cooled by Delta FFB1212EHE 190.00 CFM Fan, controlled by Sunbeam RHK-EX-BA Rheobus-Extreme Fan Controller Panel

Audio:
Onboard Realtek Azalia with Dolby Home Theater, 7.1+2 Channel HD Output, and Blu-ray/HD DVD Full Rate Audio Support.