PDA

View Full Version : how do I use my xbox 360 controller on TFC

enlarged
07-05-2010, 05:45 PM
The option menu will not let me map joystick buttons off my gamepad and the guide on the steam support page does not cover xbox360 controllers.

I need help:(

p.s. telling me to use a mouse and keyboard doesn't help, neither does telling me to use xpadder, and neither does asking why I use a gamepad.

msx
07-05-2010, 10:35 PM
It's a legacy game, thus there is no implemented support for gamepads.

enlarged
07-05-2010, 10:52 PM
But it says on the steam support that gamepads do work, you just have to do X to make it work. I'm asking what that X is to make a 360 pad work

Gogeta
07-10-2010, 03:13 AM
There's no realistic way you can be any bit decent at TFC with an xbox 360 controller.

Why would you even want a joystick? It's harder to use :P

dobby985
07-10-2010, 04:05 AM
Use 3rd party software to map the mouse+keyboard to the controller. Like xpadder.

pizzahut
07-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Use a mouse and keyboard.

Also disable mouse acceleration.

For one in the Windows control panel, called "enhance pointer precision" - uncheck this.

In Steam's library, right click on TFC, go to properties, general, launch options. Add this:

-noforcemaccel -noforcemparms -noforcemspd

You may need to adjust mouse sensitivity. Start TFC, go to options, mouse. I use a sensitivity of 7, but this depends on the dpi setting (I use 800) and what the mouse speed slider of the Windows control panel is set to (centre / middle for me).

Other useful settings for conc jumping, priming grenades and bunny hopping here: http://www.roystonvasey.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1884 (This is just basic stuff though.)

enlarged
07-10-2010, 12:11 PM
@ the last 3 reply's:

:mad:have you even read the first post at all

p.s. telling me to use a mouse and keyboard doesn't help, neither does telling me to use xpadder, and neither does asking why I use a gamepad.

pizzahut
07-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Well this (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4840-UMCB-3834) probably applies to old game pads which act like a joystick so they don't need mapping.

So it doesn't apply to the Xbox360 controller. These only work for Source (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1445-TKCN-0831) games, which TFC is not.

enlarged
07-10-2010, 01:57 PM
1. yes they do need to be mapped

2. it applies to all joy-pads, it just doesn't give the 360 controller as an example because it wasn't out at the time

Mathijs
07-11-2010, 03:47 AM
Your PS does not help you get help. When you want to do something uncommon, people will ask you why you want to do it.
Also when someone gives you a solution in the form of xpadder, you just say it is not helping you, without any reason. Kind of one way traffic that way, you only take.

So I would say you have 2 options, either be nice to people that give you any reaction, or go figure it out all on your own. This way people are not going to help.

pizzahut
07-11-2010, 06:57 AM
I think normally you would just have to press a button after hitting "edit key" in the keyboard section. If this doesn't work, then it may not work at all without a third-party program.

The support article mentions that these names are used for the joystick buttons: Support for up to 32 buttons (JOY1-JOY4 and AUX5-AUX32) So you could try them all manually, but as said, it may not work. The assignments are stored in the config.cfg. E.g. bind "space" "+jump" for jumping. Edit them as follows:

bind joy1 "say button joy1"
bind joy4 "say button joy4"

bind aux5 "say button aux5"
bind aux32 "say button aux32"

This way you should be able to find out which buttons are supported at all. But again, if automatic detection doesn't work, then this method may not work either.

Also in TFC's options under "mouse", make sure joystick support is enabled. Yes it *should* be obvious, but you won't believe which simple mistakes people make.

enlarged
07-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Your PS does not help you get help. When you want to do something uncommon, people will ask you why you want to do it.
Also when someone gives you a solution in the form of xpadder, you just say it is not helping you, without any reason. Kind of one way traffic that way, you only take.

So I would say you have 2 options, either be nice to people that give you any reaction, or go figure it out all on your own. This way people are not going to help.

The thing is that what that is isn't helping me with what I want to be helped with.

With the "why" thing, I guess I could answer that now. I like to use gamepads over a mouse and a keyboard because they feel more comfortable than a mouse and keyboard and I play better with them.

My reason for refusing to use xpadder is that it feels like I'm using am mouse in the sense that it feels very block-y when aiming (like how if I want to move the camera diagonally then it would move left one pixel then down one pixel instead of it being smooth)

I am not nice to those people who gave me those reactions because they did the exact opposite of what I told them to do and if I figured it out all on my own then I wouldn't have made this thread.

enlarged
07-11-2010, 11:34 AM
thank you pizzahut, you are the first (and so far only) helpful person in this thread

Gogeta
07-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Using a mouse and keyboard will only help exponentially in the long run. At your first turning point in TFC you won't be able to get any better because the controller limits you SO much.

enlarged
07-13-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry. I don't understand your wording, Gogeta

Gogeta
07-14-2010, 09:15 PM
A joystick can only get you so far skill wise. There are too many buttons and quick motions you need to do at once to be good at the game. At some point your hands won't keep up with what you want to do because the controller is so limited.