PDA

View Full Version : can't play 2 difffrent games on 1 steam account

robertjan88
07-06-2010, 03:10 AM
I own a steam account with a lot of different games on it and today I wanted to play HL2 on my steam account and my brother would like to try CoD. But when I tried to login on my account on the second computer it said that it was already in use........Does this mean i can't play 2 different games in 1 account....Thats sucks cause normally if you own 2 different games you can!!

StarKiller_WNY
07-06-2010, 03:16 AM
That's correct, only one person per account.

BritishGaMer
07-06-2010, 03:30 AM
I own a steam account with a lot of different games on it and today I wanted to play HL2 on my steam account and my brother would like to try CoD. But when I tried to login on my account on the second computer it said that it was already in use........Does this mean i can't play 2 different games in 1 account....Thats sucks cause normally if you own 2 different games you can!!

Your already logged into the account so can't log into same account twice at the same time.

robertjan88
07-06-2010, 04:10 AM
Your already logged into the account so can't log into same account twice at the same time.

That sucks a lot!

L.o.D.
07-06-2010, 04:19 AM
Actually, set the account you want to play single player games to offline mode & then log into the other account to play MP games.
As long as it's within the same household, they allow it.

robertjan88
07-06-2010, 04:35 AM
May I ask where this term is listed. Cause Im almost sure that it didn't stay in the policies that I accepted when first using steam...Normally when I buy a 2 games I can both use them at different computers at the same time

Amy
07-06-2010, 04:37 AM

Warning: A lot of steam account get VAC banned by some bro.

You should tell him to get himself a Steam account too.

robertjan88
07-06-2010, 04:39 AM

But I bought a lot of games cause I thought I was able to play them at the same time (not the same game ofc) like retail games with the same price.....

Combii
07-06-2010, 04:44 AM

That's bull♥♥♥♥ dude. Stop taking bull♥♥♥♥ around to other people :mad:

Combii
07-06-2010, 04:47 AM
But I bought a lot of games cause I thought I was able to play them at the same time (not the same game ofc) like retail games with the same price.....

No worries mate, you can play games on diffrent computers at the same time, it depends if it's offline and online game. If it's an offline game yes you can (Like HF2) What you do is, close Steam, unplug the internet cable or if you have WIFI then disconnect your WIFI. Start Steam it will ask if you wan't to play on offline mode say press the Offline mode button. And there you go, you can play HF2 and your brother can play MW2 at the same time. :)

Combii
07-06-2010, 04:48 AM
May I ask where this term is listed. Cause Im almost sure that it didn't stay in the policies that I accepted when first using steam...Normally when I buy a 2 games I can both use them at different computers at the same time

Yes only when you buy them from retailers. But Steam no you have 1 account and they even say in the rules, that you must not share your account to family or friends. I think this sucks but thats how they do :(

Ray.Gamma
07-06-2010, 04:54 AM
May I ask where this term is listed.
Of course! Taken from the SSA (http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/):
When you complete Steam's registration process, you create a Steam account ("Account"). Your Account may also include billing information you provide to us for the purchase of Subscriptions. You are solely responsible for all activity on your Account and for the security of your computer system. You may not reveal, share or otherwise allow others to use your password or Account. You agree that you are personally responsible for the use of your password and Account and for all of the communication and activity on Steam that results from use of your login name and password. You may not sell or charge others for the right to use your Account, or otherwise transfer your Account.

sukach
07-06-2010, 05:29 AM
One of you is going to have to play in offline mode. There is no way to be on the same account signed in at the same time.

Also you wont get banned for sharing your account with your brother. It makes one of you sign in offline. I've had my account on many different computers, and I've had to do the offline thing alot. Never banned. How are they to know you're doing that other than saying you're sharing it.

Raefzm
07-06-2010, 05:33 AM

I've read somewhere that you're only allowed to play one game at each time for obvious reasons.

However, i visited my brother once and he was playing Garry's Mod through Steam. He had 2 computers, both with Steam and GMOD. What he did was that he started Garry'S mod on the first PC, Then he disconnected that PC's internet connection. Then he started GMOD on the second PC and started a LAN Multiplayer game. He then connected the first PC back online, and with that PC (with GMOD running) he connected to the LAN Party.

We then had a LAN party, playing on the same account. We had the same name and everything.
Is this 'illegal' or against any rules, can he get his account banned for this thing or is it allowed?

Zukabazuka
07-06-2010, 05:45 AM

Its pretty common story in the VAC section when ever someone is banned. So if you have a brother just look what he is doing.

sukach
07-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Its pretty common story in the VAC section when ever someone is banned. So if you have a brother just look what he is doing.
That's with brothers that use hacks.

MADDOGGE
07-06-2010, 06:36 AM
May I ask where this term is listed. Cause Im almost sure that it didn't stay in the policies that I accepted when first using steam...Normally when I buy a 2 games I can both use them at different computers at the same timeSorry buy this is for your own good. One friend or family member can very easily get your account banned by doing something they shouldn't. Why should they care it's not their account. If they know the PW they might be scammed into revealing it to someone who then hijacks your account. It's set up this way for security reason. Either accept the way it is or buy your games elsewhere are your only choices.

Amy
07-06-2010, 06:57 AM

Buy him some game that you can play with him too.
That will be less heartbreaking than rebuying some of your game because of your bro.

Amy
07-06-2010, 06:59 AM

Sorry but it was sarcasm because most of "true" hacker say they have bro who's hacking on their steam, and they even approove they break the SSA. :D

robertjan88
07-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Of course! Taken from the SSA (http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/):

Yeah but this is about family that want to play another game (every time you see that line they mean people you can't trust or don't know).....Its just a strange thing that steam blocks this.
You're paying the full price but noone else can play the game when you're playing another game which CAN in retail games.....
Steam forces people in this way to buy more then 1 when you're with 2 people and Im wondering if thats legal cause people must be free to play a game any time they want after purchasing it.
If 2 people would like to play the same game at the same time I understand but 2 different game :o

Pheace
07-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Yeah but this is about family that want to play another game (every time you see that line they mean people you can't trust or don't know).....Its just a strange thing that steam blocks this.
You're paying the full price but noone else can play the game when you're playing another game which CAN in retail games.....
Steam forces people in this way to buy more then 1 when you're with 2 people and Im wondering if thats legal cause people must be free to play a game any time they want after purchasing it.
If 2 people would like to play the same game at the same time I understand but 2 different game :o

Just because you don't like what you hear now, ages after you signed an agreement stating differently doesn't mean you can make up random legal accusations.

Fact is, only one person is allowed to use your account.

Otherwise one account with 200 games could be used/shared by 200 people. That's not how it's supposed to work.

Tough luck. Read what you're signing up for next time.

L.o.D.
07-06-2010, 07:26 AM
While it is not stated anywhere what I first posted, Valve do allow direct family members in the same house to share accounts.
I believe one of them even stated that in the forums.

nullsquared
07-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Actually, set the account you want to play single player games to offline mode & then log into the other account to play MP games.
As long as it's within the same household, they allow it.

I heard that if you are in Offline Mode, another person can log into your account in Online Mode, and play with you.

I never tested it, but I think it's possible, if you play on a LAN server with them, not online.

You can play on LAN servers with your brother, so it 'might' work, not sure. Good luck!

Edit - I believe you aren't supposed to share an account, but families still do.
However, I think when you do what I stated above, you can.

HobbitStomper
07-06-2010, 07:54 AM
It's not about the games, it's about the Steam Account. You can only be logged into your steam account at one computer at any given time. And that affects all the games that come with your account.

If you really want to, you can install Steam on the 2nd computer, and go into offline mode, and have your brother play a single player game, while you play an online game on your computer. That is against the Steam Policy though.

nullsquared
07-06-2010, 07:59 AM
If you really want to, you can install Steam on the 2nd computer, and go into offline mode, and have your brother play a single player game, while you play an online game on your computer. That is against the Steam Policy though.

Yes, that is why every Steam account should be used by one person.
Even though what you stated above is against the Steam Policy, people still try it.

I'm not sure if 'this' is against the Steam Policy, but don't some people also play with each other with the same account like I stated in my previous post. I've never done so, just not sure if it's against the policy :confused: