PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't steam have doom 3 for mac? Or many others?

mcbeav
07-06-2010, 08:58 PM
There are a few games i have noticed that are available for both windows and mac, but only the windows counterpart is for sale through steam? Any idea if some of these games may be available soon. Some i noticed in particular are Doom 3, Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Academy. Any idea if they may become available soon, or is there anyway to get this out to valve so they can maybe start selling these games?

d10sfan
07-06-2010, 09:00 PM
You would need to ask the developers of those games. Valve cant release it themselves, as they dont own it.

mcbeav
07-06-2010, 09:02 PM
so are you saying id would have to give valve permission to sell doom 3 for mac on steam?

d10sfan
07-06-2010, 09:08 PM
so are you saying id would have to give valve permission to sell doom 3 for mac on steam?

Yes, or whoever made the mac port. Dont remember if it was actually iD that did that port or if it was someone else. They will have to give Valve permission to have it on Steam. Thats probably why we dont see these games or the COD series, which have been ported for the most part over. Seems some developers dont like money.

BenRoethig
07-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Only if they retained the digital rights. Normally when a game is ported to the Mac, the publisher passes and the developer licenses the mac rights to a third party Mac publisher such as Aspyr, Macsoft, and Feral to port a publish the title. Whether it shows up on steam really depends on two things 1) who has rights to the Mac source code, and 2) who has the rights to the Mac digital publishing rights. In a few cases such as CIV4 or the Paradox interactive titles, there is either a backdoor in the contract or an agreement with the Mac publisher. In most, the Mac publisher has decided not to publish on steam and if they do in the future, don't count on steamplay.

Yes, or whoever made the mac port. Dont remember if it was actually iD that did that port or if it was someone else. They will have to give Valve permission to have it on Steam. Thats probably why we dont see these games or the COD series, which have been ported for the most part over. Seems some developers dont like money.

They do and would like to keep it for themselves instead of forking over some it to valve. Aspyr, for example, has something similar to steam called game agent.

mcbeav
07-06-2010, 09:49 PM
major bummer. Would have been nice, but oh well. Thank you all for the quick responses, adn hospitality.

roliath
07-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Aspyr ported Doom3 to the mac, i've been wanting to play through doom again for quite some time now. I hope it does get released at some point.