PDA

View Full Version : Steam at work behind blocked ports

waymon
07-07-2010, 09:47 AM
So I work at a pretty large buisness. I work on some pretty sweet macs that are fully loaded. I have admin control so I can do whatever I want. I can surf any website and pretty much do anything I want at work. However I cannot connect to steam :-( Due to blocked ports probably.
We play COD4 over LAN which is fun and all, but id like to play portal again and possibly css when its released as well.

There HAS to be a way to get steam for mac to load in offline mode or have it use a different port or something. I read somewhere the reason most places block these ports is because it uses bit-torrent like technology.

Is there a way around this? Can I somehow download portal and css on a different mac and play it without steam, so we can play over LAN?

Theres gotta be a way!

thanks d00ds

...waymon

Col-
07-07-2010, 11:00 AM
i guess you could use hamachi, google is your friend here.

waymon
07-07-2010, 11:57 AM
I dont think that will work for what I need. I need to tell steam to connect to valve servers using a different port. Does that program do it? That looks like it creates a VPN like LAN, which I don't need.

thanks though.

...waymon

Scyth118
07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
You are basically asking for a way to get around the blocking feature at your workplace?

waymon
07-07-2010, 01:29 PM
You are basically asking for a way to get around the blocking feature at your workplace?

Pretty much. I just want to connect to steam, I dont even want to play online, but just be able to load the games up and play locally.

Its just blocked ports because nothing else is blocked, no sites no VPN or Remote desktop, all that works. Just not steam and probably p2p ports.

TheMG
07-07-2010, 02:23 PM
How about the obvious: talk to your network administrator and kindly ask if he could open the ports for Steam.

You'd be surprised how well simply asking sometimes works.;)

Also your employer has no problem with you using their resources to play games?

No, you can not change the ports which Steam uses. Proxies don't work either.

waymon
07-08-2010, 09:30 AM
How about the obvious: talk to your network administrator and kindly ask if he could open the ports for Steam.

I guess I could ask, I just don't see them opening ports for 1 person out of the 5000 in the building. :-(

Is there a way to load the game without connecting to steam...I do own the games, I just want to play without a internet connection. Possible?

Groxkiller585
07-08-2010, 10:12 AM
I guess I could ask, I just don't see them opening ports for 1 person out of the 5000 in the building. :-(

Is there a way to load the game without connecting to steam...I do own the games, I just want to play without a internet connection. Possible?

If it's Portal, you can do it. Here's how I do it usually, since I occasionally get disconnected:

make sure the steam client is not running, and go to task manager.

search for Steam, and stop the process. (this is steam attemptig to access online things without the client running so it can check for updates,etc.)

Now try to play your game normally. It may say something about steam cloud if the game has support for it, just go on without it (it updates your achievements online in real time but you can't get online so it's useless).

Your game should start up. Have fun playing Portal in a cubicle! =D (if a supervisor comes by hit return!)

EDIT: This could probably work with all steam games, but I've only done it with Portal.

EDIT2: You must have a sweet job to be able to play games there...unless your the boss. =P

waymon
07-08-2010, 12:08 PM
If it's Portal, you can do it. Here's how I do it usually, since I occasionally get disconnected:

make sure the steam client is not running, and go to task manager.

search for Steam, and stop the process. (this is steam attemptig to access online things without the client running so it can check for updates,etc.)

Now try to play your game normally. It may say something about steam cloud if the game has support for it, just go on without it (it updates your achievements online in real time but you can't get online so it's useless).

Your game should start up. Have fun playing Portal in a cubicle! =D (if a supervisor comes by hit return!)

EDIT: This could probably work with all steam games, but I've only done it with Portal.

EDIT2: You must have a sweet job to be able to play games there...unless your the boss. =P

As long as we get our ♥♥♥♥ done they dont care what we do. Plus everyone plays video games nowadays. But not sure how this will work on a mac. Can I take the gcf files from my windows machine at home and somehow play the game on my work machine? The problem is I can't even install steam because you need an internet connection during the install.

How do you install steam on a computer with a web connection?

waymon
07-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Alright if I install steam on another mac and set all my info to work in offline mode. And copy over all the steam folder and data, do you think it should work?

waymon
07-09-2010, 08:22 AM
So I got steam installed and portal downloaded. When I open steam up in offline mode and try to play portal it says "This operation cannot be completed when Steam is in Offline Mode."

How do I play portal without an internet connection?

waymon
07-15-2010, 12:23 PM
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

reapercokayne
01-12-2013, 10:25 PM

:confused:i'm the network Admin and is there an way i can get the ports open.. for launcher

we work on an juniper network

thank you

I cant open IP's only ports to protect my Network :confused:

zeroxxx
01-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Juniper router? You need to log in into the router and open the port from there.