PDA

View Full Version : Modding -- For the first time.

Uhfgood
07-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Hello, my name is Keith, I've posted a few messages here. I really enjoyed Unreal 1 back in the day (I still have my cd copy). I'm a programmer by (for lack of a better term -- as I don't actually make a living off of it) trade. Specifically I make 2D games. I knew eventually I would want to get into 3d, however I have absolutely no experience with it at all. I figured the best way to learn 3d game development would be to start out with modding. A lot of things came together to get me to buy the steam unreal-deal, and I did that. So basically starting around the end of august I'm going to learn some aspect of modding (particularly interested in 3d level design, which probably mostly means map making). I just want to know which game in the pack is best for modding (ie probably what has the biggest community). the pack came with unreal 1 and 2 (I don't think these are really usable for learning purposes as they're somewhat older and probably don't have that big of a modding community), Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 3, and Unreal Tournament 2004 -- So what in your opinion would be the best one to start with. Also is there an opportunity or ability to create single player mods, or is that only for multiplayer stuff? Also if anyone can point me to some resources for beginners in the modding arena let me know.

Thanks

nirgoren
07-08-2010, 07:59 AM
You can start making games using the unreal development kit (http://www.udk.com/) Epic released for free, it's a better way to make unreal engine based games, it gives you everything you need and gives you access to the best unreal engine based graphics. You can get alot of support, it has many guides and people at these forums can help you:http://forums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=371

Uhfgood
07-14-2010, 01:13 PM
If I thought UDK would be the best thing I wouldn't have spent money on the unreal games through Steam, most likely I wouldn't have signed up for Steam at all. With UDK you're basically making everything from scratch, in other words making a game. The whole idea of using an existing game and modding it was modifying some aspects of it so you wouldn't be starting from scratch. I might make a map to run the already existing game in, or I might decide to make some new models, or some such. Thanks for replying though. So anybody else, should I use UT 2k4, or UT3 for modding?

RhinoX
07-20-2010, 11:31 AM
My vote is for UT3 it's newer, has the new constructs of the UnrealScript language (i.e. interfaces), the engine supports much much more features common to recent game engines. Generally the knowledge you'll get from it will be probably faster applied when migrating to the next installment of the Unreal Engine :). What language did you program those 2d games of your's? C/C++? If so why don't you give a try the Source Engine which modding and coding is by all means normal C++ programming (not like the virtual machine of UE).

MurDocINC
07-21-2010, 03:47 PM
UDK is the latest version of unreal engine 3, and has some new features that UT3 doesn't have. It's basically UT3 with most of the maps stripped, so you really aren't creating a game from scratch. I highly recommend it for any single player game/mod, for the simple fact its free for you and end-users(= more users). Only thing that sucks about UDK is there's no master server/server browser, which blows for multi-player game/mod.

Oh check out 3DBuzz.com for hours of videos on creating almost everything. Warning: you won't leave the computer for weeks if not months, very addictive.