PDA

View Full Version : thank you, telltale games and graham annable

07-09-2010, 04:48 AM
i just buyed the game spontaneous (story, atmosphere, characters but most of all the look and style impressed me instantly), and for now i played it about half an hour. my first impression is very good, i managed to solve the first (3) puzzles without using "hints" or trying it a bunch of times but i am stucked now at the "key puzzle" in the hotel lobby... :confused:

the dependence on "TWIN PEAKS" turned out to work really well in my eyes! (that's one of the reasons, why i wanted that game soo much - most of the younger players won't notice, i guess...)

the humor is really cool (what else, as always tell tale ;)) and i had to grin often in that ~half hour of gameplay. the world is credible and the visuals look so much better then simple lowpoly 3d models with one color textures on it... expressed exaggerated. ;)

but "PUZZLE AGENT" wouldn't pass as a "real point&click adventure"...
i am at the very beginning of the game, indeed but especially right between those first puzzles you have to solve, everything is happening without any interfers - like an "autopilot". that means, once a cutscene or dialog is finished, something you can click on is popping up and the game will go on.
after arriving at the "village", you are allowed to "search" the scene while clicking around, but every click pushes off some kind of "radar wave", which shows everything you can interact with close by directly as a big symbol. that's a bit to simple in my eyes. after you arrive at the "hotel", you got some kind of "inventory" (a box with all your puzzle files, already solved ones - which can be solved again, and blank new ones to come), but till now i couldn't pick up any items or objects (except brains = hints ?!). that makes me think, that it won't be possible or necessary later on to use objects or combine them with each other... unfortunately.
in the dialog sequences you got a few answer- and question options, but nothing that could affect the reactions of the counterpart or let much room to play with them... unfortunately again.

all in all the game seems to be like a collection of little "casual puzzle games", which got happily dressed with an "point&click adventure" appearance with a nice plot as a "puzzle break". BUT i can't blame the game - it is just big fun and a really a welcome change for just 7 euros!

i hope that'll help one or another who's still indecisive. to everyone who's already playin': are the brains to collect hints for the puzzles? is there any benefit in solving the puzzles "perfect"?

please excuse my english, hope you like it as much as i do. excuse me please, i gonna solve some riddles now :)

ps: for the creators... a "agent dale cooper" caricature i did recently, hope you like ;):

http://kopfstoff.blogspot.com/2010/06/diane.html

pokerdan
07-09-2010, 05:41 AM
Those aren't brains - they're wads of used chewing gum! They help Nelson concentrate.

skiddlywibble
07-09-2010, 10:11 AM
I agree that it was more just a collection of puzzles than an actual point and click, but story was good, and the puzzles were top notch.

However, the story felt incomplete... I was given detaile, information, things that weren't used, and the ending left me wondering if I'd missed a secret ending, or something along those lines.

amnesiasoft
07-09-2010, 02:53 PM
However, the story felt incomplete... I was given detaile, information, things that weren't used, and the ending left me wondering if I'd missed a secret ending, or something along those lines.
Puzzle Agent is Telltale extending the whole "episodic" idea. It's a pilot episode.

07-09-2010, 03:18 PM
@pokerdan: thanks, now i got that too ^^
so, now that i saw and solved a bit more, one question: os there anything changing if i send out a wrong answer first or use a lot of gum to get to the point? i got 2 puzzles where i sucked so badly, that i am a "borderliner", and if i want to redoe them via "menu" i cant change the fact that i loosed the first time(s)... any benefit for doing them perfect at first without using gum?

oh man and for the "key puzzle" at the beginning (i think it's no. 4) i was thinking needlessly complicated -.-

read only if you managed to solve the first ~10 puzzles:
for the word "nine": i tried to count the lines and dots and later the spaces in between and thought there where two numbers, 1 for the big "lines and dots" at the top of the page and one for 2 the small ones, at the bottom, i even thought it could be some kind of morse code xD shortly - same thing with the diner-sign, i never ever thought these where just numbers mirrored, i tryed to figure out which fact make the logos pairs and why, watched at the the ones which got a line in between and so on... damn it, i need to keep it simple, stupid! :D

@skiddlywibble: yep, i love the story too - the characters, the voiceacting, especially the artwork and lynch & coen influences are brilliant! i just wish that you where allowed to do more, with stuff arround (for example that screwdriver at the beginning, i want to take it with me, same for the tabacco in the diner.. and i want to find that missing gear and insert it, hope i can at least do that ;))

@amnesiasoft: so, there will be more episodes? awesome! my girlfriend and i had a cool evening solving puzzles with the agent and his taperecorder. :D

great game. hope it'll never end ;)

eyehate
07-09-2010, 05:29 PM
I loved the look of this game the second I saw it on sale and had to have it.

I am loving it.

Very immersive and fun and the characters have fun, distinct personalities.

Kudos, devs!

Gargaj
09-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Puzzle Agent is Telltale extending the whole "episodic" idea. It's a pilot episode.

I can only hope, otherwise I just've watched the puzzle-adventure equivalent of a Twilight Zone / Outer Limits episode.

It doesn't help that their website says "Puzzle Agent combines generous doses of Nordic folklore, and an X-Files style mystery along with major influences of Professor-Layton inspired puzzling, David Lynch, the Coen brothers and a dash of Stanley Kubrick.", which I consider blurb-ese for "This isn't gonna make any sense unless you're on a specific combination of drugs."

The puzzles were fun (most of them), but as soon as the MacGuffin and red herrings start to outweigh the relevant plot points, you better start making obvious that there'll be a sequel. :mad:

EDG
11-26-2010, 03:58 PM
I thought it was great - a bit quick to finish but it was do-able, and the story was really good. Very x-files, and *very* creepy.

Nice one, Telltale.

ríomhaire
12-07-2010, 04:30 PM
the dependence on "TWIN PEAKS" turned out to work really well in my eyes! (that's one of the reasons, why i wanted that game soo much - most of the younger players won't notice, i guess...)
Spoilers bellow, read at your own peril:
Actually one of the things that peaked my interest was looking at the screenshots it reminded me of Fargo. I was really feeling a Fargo vibe to the game at the inn and for the first few levels and then suddenly FREAKY RED GNOMES. I am so glad I knew nothing about that stuff before I played because that element of the game was such a shock and managed to be actually spooky without resorting to gore or cheep jumpy scares. My only disappointment with this is wanting to know what was going on.