PDA

View Full Version : "Steam is already running in a different user session"

cjalaska1
07-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Hey guys, last night when I wanted to play TF2, it said "Steam is already running in a different user session". I tried to use task manager, I clicked "show process from other users" and then nothing happend, so I tried to click on something in the window, but nothing happens but a sound. :confused: please help me!

IT WAS A VIRUS! But it should be fixed tomorrow thankfully :) I can play! Yay!

Stryker_A23
07-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Means someone is logged onto your account then. Stolen account it seems. See if you can access your profile via the steam website. I had it happened to me like once a day it would kick me off and say someone else was logged on to my account but nothing ever happened it was like i was sharing my account,turned out when I had used my friends computer every time he turned it on it launched Steam and would kick me off. So go see if you can get to your community home page from here NOT the Steam application. If not then submit a support ticket to Steam for a hijacked account.

cjalaska1
07-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Means someone is logged onto your account then. Stolen account it seems. See if you can access your profile via the steam website. I had it happened to me like once a day it would kick me off and say someone else was logged on to my account but nothing ever happened it was like i was sharing my account,turned out when I had used my friends computer every time he turned it on it launched Steam and would kick me off. So go see if you can get to your community home page from here NOT the Steam application. If not then submit a support ticket to Steam for a hijacked account.

I can log in there, but how do I play again?!

FatChipmunk
07-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Restart your computer. Ctrl+Alt+Delete > Log off any Users that are currently on. Search for the Steam process in the Processes window, end it.

Re: Stryker Change your account password immediately and follow the FAQ to keep your account safe!

cjalaska1
07-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Restart your computer. Ctrl+Alt+Delete > Log off any Users that are currently on. Search for the Steam process in the Processes window, end it.

Re: Stryker Change your account password immediately and follow the FAQ to keep your account safe!
That didn't work :( and there's no other users on my lap top.

ozgeek
07-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Can you still login to your steam games client?

If so, change the password immediately incase it is being hijacked.

cjalaska1
07-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Can you still login to your steam games client?

If so, change the password immediately incase it is being hijacked.
What is that? I forgot.

huntsclan
07-11-2010, 09:45 PM
It sounds like you have a virus. I recommend you run your computer in safe mode and do a full virus scan, including spyware and malware.

cjalaska1
07-11-2010, 09:56 PM
It sounds like you have a virus. I recommend you run your computer in safe mode and do a full virus scan, including spyware and malware.
I can't have a virus, I had a tune up witch removes any virus's it can find.

huntsclan
07-11-2010, 10:03 PM
A tune up program? That isn't a dedicated virus scanner and, in quite a lot of cases, only removes spyware. Can you tell me the name of the program that you are using to scan your pc with?

EDIT: some other people suggest running Steam as an Administrator to fix this issue. Please try this.

ozgeek
07-11-2010, 10:09 PM
What is that? I forgot.

I mean the steam program (installed on your PC). If you can login (or if you have it auto-logged in it should start up and show you your gameslist or store page)

then change the password and restart the program login to the steam using your new password.

Your account might have been in the process of being hijacked (your login details being stolen by someone else).

huntsclan
07-11-2010, 10:19 PM
I mean the steam program (installed on your PC). If you can login (or if you have it auto-logged in it should start up and show you your gameslist or store page)

then change the password and restart the program login to the steam using your new password.

Your account might have been in the process of being hijacked (your login details being stolen by someone else).

I don't think this is the issue ozgeek. The error message he is getting is coming from the OS before he can even start Steam. If someone else had logged into his account on a different computer, he would have had an error along the lines of "Your account <account name> is currently in use at another machine. You'll need to shut down Steam on your other computer in order to log in here."

cjalaska1
07-11-2010, 10:26 PM
A tune up program? That isn't a dedicated virus scanner and, in quite a lot of cases, only removes spyware. Can you tell me the name of the program that you are using to scan your pc with?

EDIT: some other people suggest running Steam as an Administrator to fix this issue. Please try this.
OneCare

huntsclan
07-11-2010, 10:28 PM
OneCare, as in Microsoft Windows Live OneCare? This is an online scanner, I recommend you get one to install onto your system. If I may say, the best free ones I have seen and used includes Avast! and Avira.

cjalaska1
07-11-2010, 10:35 PM
OneCare, as in Microsoft Windows Live OneCare? This is an online scanner, I recommend you get one to install onto your system. If I may say, the best free ones I have seen and used includes Avast! and Avira.
Yes Microsoft OneCare, I'm installing avast on google chrome right now, but it says in 34 days it will be done?! and it keeps going up?

huntsclan
07-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Wow really? What's your internet speed like?

cbf36
09-08-2011, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=cjalaska1;16010906]Hey guys, last night when I wanted to play TF2, it said "Steam is already running in a different user session". I tried to use task manager, I clicked "show process from other users" and then nothing happend, so I tried to click on something in the window, but nothing happens but a sound. :confused: please help me.

Hi! I think I have stumbled upon another solution to this problem. When Windows 7 boots up and asks for your Password, wait approx. 30 sec. to a minute before doing so. Apparently Window 7 hasn't finished loading if you enter Password too quickly. This prob. has been bothering me for quite some time, but not once since I took my time entering the Password. Go figure! Cheers; Chuck F.

instinctepyon
11-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Also as with a lot of other problems, if all else fails, delete your clientregistry.blob file.

I encountered this problem, and deleting the registry file solved the problem

deimios
09-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Sorry to necromance this thread but I found another situation where this error crops up:
If you start steam 2 times from startup it gives the exact same error. To remedy this run "msconfig" and on the startup tab make sure you have only 1 line named "steam" enabled.