PDA

View Full Version : Defense Grid Gold

Aesir Rising
07-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Defense Grid Gold is available through another retailer. I'm confused by the expansions, DLC offerings, and the Gold nomenclature.

Does Gold include the four DLC map packs available through Steam?

* Does the Steam version of Defense Grid get updated/patched on time (some Steam games I have are awful as far as keeping up with patches... sometimes months behind, and in at least one, not up to date at all).

For the future (get yer crystal ball out pls...):
* What are the plans or expectations for additional content and will such content be available for "Gold" version (I remember a day when Gold meant it was final and complete...).

If it helps, the point of my questions is to try to determine the best retailer to purchase from as far as current and future content and patch support.

fortunz
07-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Defense Grid: Gold contains the original game plus the Resurgence and Borderlands DLC packs.

For $14 from Impulse, you get DG + Borderlands ($10 on steam) + 4 Resurgence DLC map packs ($4) here on steam. Actually it's a couple of pennies less expensive here.

Does the Steam version of Defense Grid get updated/patched on time (some Steam games I have are awful as far as keeping up with patches... sometimes months behind, and in at least one, not up to date at all).

Mine has always stayed up to date, indeed, all my Steam games have.

For the future (get yer crystal ball out pls...):
* What are the plans or expectations for additional content and will such content be available for "Gold" version (I remember a day when Gold meant it was final and complete...).

Both are hard to know. Some retailers of the original Defense Grid weren't ready to provide access to borderlands and resurgence, though I think HP insisted they provide steam codes with their versions of the game so customers could get it that way. I don't know a ton about how impulse works (if that is your alt source), so I can't compare.

The team could move on to a sequel, or they could build more DLC for this one. There has been no official announcement. They're a small company, so I gather making a game typically means finding another company to fund it. That takes time.

Aesir Rising
07-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the responses.

And just so you know I wasn't barking in the wind about Steam patch delays, the games I have in my (extensive) Steam library that aren't updated include games like Sword of the Stars/Argos Naval Yard (still not updated to 1.8, and the prior patch took months as well), hearts of Iron III (~ 4 months to get the correct files for the 1.4 patch - during which time the tutorial crashed and multiplayer CRC file checks failed preventing MP play) and a couple of others. Indeed, I've had issues via Impulse and D2D as well, but because of these various digital distribution issues I've had over the years, I tend to investigate my options to ensure I'm not buying a headache.

Thanks for the responses to my questions.

fortunz
07-15-2010, 11:03 AM
I tend to investigate my options to ensure I'm not buying a headache.

That is perfectly reasonable IMO. I like to research purchases as well.

Aesir Rising
07-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Oh, I just tried a couple of the demo/tutorial type missions. Pretty polished game. And perhaps the first cross-platform (console + PC) game I have where the input controls and UI weren't distracting (or outright poorly-implemented) on the PC version. I think I'll buy it.

Mondak
07-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah - some games do take a while . . . or worse never come at all even with crucial patches that affect stability. I think it depends on the publisher and their closeness with Valve. I can say that in this case, they are great on both sides.