PDA

View Full Version : So what's with the Source SDK stuff?

Vonje
07-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Is this SDK update a seperate SDK for developing Alien Swarm mods, or will it update the base Source SDK? Is the release going to affect any of the current games? It would be cool to see the improvements in other Source games, but i'm worried about compitability.

icefox
07-16-2010, 02:26 PM
I would like to know the same

Jonathan
07-16-2010, 02:27 PM
It's a separate SDK.

sappy
07-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Aah that clears that up.

Awesomeslayer20
07-17-2010, 11:48 AM
It's a separate SDK.

Dose it have too? Ah well there are cheap games such as deathmatch for about 5 bucks

Nekomancer
07-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Well, that means that the full powered SDK is still only for paying customers. So Source Mods with just Alien Swarm is still out. Not that surprising.

Awesomeslayer20
07-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Well, that means that the full powered SDK is still only for paying customers. So Source Mods with just Alien Swarm is still out. Not that surprising.

What if it fails? Will they still able to release it? Only one guy from valve told us its separate.. I mean this guy could be lieing.

Nekomancer
07-17-2010, 12:08 PM
What is your point? Fail, how? It's a free game. Release what? Why should he lie? That would be a stupid lie since everyone would see the truth on Monday. There's no reason to lie. Also, it's pretty bold to accuse a Valve employee to lie.

Awesomeslayer20
07-17-2010, 12:11 PM
What is your point? Fail, how? It's a free game. Release what? Why should he lie? That would be a stupid lie since everyone would see the truth on Monday. There's no reason to lie. Also, it's pretty bold to accuse a Valve employee to lie.

Well it can fail using worng ocidng and stuff. My point is what if it fails? will they release sdk source if it fails? I wanna play portal mods on my free portal.. But if i have to buy then i will. LOl no buggy

Rumina
07-17-2010, 12:12 PM
What if it fails? Will they still able to release it? Only one guy from valve told us its separate.. I mean this guy could be lieing.

Um.. what do you mean fail? And why would you accuse a Valve employee of lying when answering user questions. The answer was most likely that to begin with, not really shocking information.

Awesomeslayer20
07-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Um.. what do you mean fail? And why would you accuse a Valve employee of lying when answering user questions. The answer was most likely that to begin with, not really shocking information.

Look at my post above this posted already!!

Rumina
07-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Look at my post above this posted already!!

Just did, we posted at almost the exact same time man. Also, I don't know what you mean by the coding (I think that's what you meant by ocidng) failing. That doesn't really make any sense.

Nekomancer
07-17-2010, 12:16 PM
worng ocidng? What the heck is that? Source SDK is only for Source games you have to pay for. Alien Swarm has it's own SDK that only works with Alien Swarm.

Free Portal does not qualify for Source SDK.

Awesomeslayer20
07-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Well it can fail using worng ocidng and stuff. My point is what if it fails? will they release sdk source if it fails? I wanna play portal mods on my free portal.. But if i have to buy then i will. LOl no buggy

this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snausages
07-17-2010, 12:17 PM
he doesn't know what he's talking about

Jonathan's been on the AS crew since its beginning as a UT2k4 mod, i'm sure he and the rest of the team won't let us down

Nekomancer
07-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Repeating sentences that don't make sense doesn't make them more understandable. Please think before posting.

Awesomeslayer20
07-17-2010, 12:19 PM
he doesn't know what he's talking about

Jonathan's been on the AS crew since its beginning as a UT2k4 mod, i'm sure he and the rest of the team won't let us down

Screw it.. Ill just buy a game case closed

The Dias
07-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Does anyone here know if Steamworks will be available for mods of other source engine games aside from Alien Swarm? What about implementation of the new lighting and other such features into other source engine mods? (I'm still very new to modding)

shackanaw
07-18-2010, 01:06 AM
I know that several other mods include Steam achievements. Searching through Steam tells me D.I.P.R.I.P. (which I found fairly enjoyable), Age of Chivalry, and Pirates, Vikings, and Knights II all support them.

Valve started allowing mods to be distributed through Steam back in October, 2008, including those for third party games:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/1857/
http://store.steampowered.com/news/1902/

saivert
07-18-2010, 03:35 PM
I just don't see the big issue with buying any of the games which include the full Source SDK and Source Base stuff already. If you don't own at least Half-Life 2 then I can't help you. sorry, just go away.
People nag about free Source SDK all the time. It is just ridiculous and incredibly annoying.
Yes maybe you don't like any of Valve's games and only want to play the mods. well boohoo. Still can't help you.

MADDOGGE
07-18-2010, 03:42 PM
It's a separate SDK.So it's just for this game?

analogfantasies
07-18-2010, 03:53 PM
I just don't see the big issue with buying any of the games which include the full Source SDK and Source Base stuff already. If you don't own at least Half-Life 2 then I can't help you. sorry, just go away.
People nag about free Source SDK all the time. It is just ridiculous and incredibly annoying.
Yes maybe you don't like any of Valve's games and only want to play the mods. well boohoo. Still can't help you.

While a bit ruder than I would put it, I have much the same sentiment. If you -really- want access to Source SDK, but don't want to spend much, buy this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/320/ Half-Life 2 DM. 5 dollars, and includes the SDK. Since you can get the game for free if you have an nvidia or ATI card, you're essentially paying 5 bucks for the SDK. Pretty decent deal when it gives you access to some awesome mods.

Ambient_Silence
07-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Only one guy from valve told us its separate.. I mean this guy could be lieing.
Considering who that 'one guy' is, I'm pretty sure he's not 'lying'. :p

Skeith
07-18-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm just wondering if Alien Swarm is an extremely elaborate SDK update. A guy who supposedly works for Valve confirms Alien Swarm uses a version of the Source engine that is about about mid way between L4D2's and Portal 2's respective versions. Now Alien Swarm comes with a separate SDK for making maps and such for it. But this is a game that comes with free access to game code to help modders, so I'm assuming Alien Swarm will be in close proximity to a update to the regular SDK that adds support for this new engine.

nimil
07-19-2010, 07:38 PM
why does the "includes source sdk" page linked on source mods show alien swarm in the list?? i got a friend to dl this game so he could play source mods with me and he still could not.. this game should not be in the list if it doesn't actually give you the ability to play :/