PDA

View Full Version : ArcaniA Gothic 4

damaged
07-16-2010, 02:35 PM
I just noticed that a link to these forums named "ArcaniA Gothic 4" now exists, I assume this to mean we can look forward to Gothic 4 being on Steam? Awesome.

Megalomaniac
07-16-2010, 05:03 PM
I can confirm that!

damaged
07-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the confirm. :)

Philx2000
07-16-2010, 06:23 PM
If its got gothic ii gameplay, with gothic3 graphics, it will be perfect.

ThomJWD
07-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Coming soon-Page should be available on Monday :)

Gulanzon
07-17-2010, 04:55 AM
Coming soon-Page should be available on Monday :)

Will ArcaniA be better optimized than Gothic 3? Will its requirements be lowered? I felt that even though Gothic 3 was an amazing game, the engine sucked balls >_<

Megalomaniac
07-17-2010, 10:28 AM
It will be better optimized but since the world will offer great details it needs a good PC to be played.

sytto
07-18-2010, 12:39 PM
It will be interesting to see if Gothic 4 holds the spirit of the first three Gothic installments now that Piranha Bytes isn't behind it.

Piranha Bytes latest game Risen which is absolutely incredible, and to me is Gothic 4 for all intents and purposes since it is from the developers of Gothic 1, 2, and 3.

I hope ArcaniA in the hands of a new developer doesn't end up tarnishing the good name of Gothic. Hopefully this isn't about milking the name Gothic and have held true to the series.

Piranha Bytes games for me are an automatic purchase on day one without reading nar a review or any player feedback, as i know it's from developers who don't bend over backwards to the easy button society and have never let me down in a high quality RPG experience.

ArcaniA i will be sitting back and reading reviews and player feedback before i purchase.

fitsch
07-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Nice it'll be on steam. Gotta dislike the emoish hero tho.

Looking forward to it anyways :)

DocHoliday
07-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I am still hoping that like the last 3 Gothic games we will be able to play this in first person. Will this be a possible with Gothic 4, or will this be another Xbox game?

sytto
07-24-2010, 04:33 PM
I can't find anything to indicate there will be first person. In trying to find out i found some good news and bad news.

Good news: They look to be primarily PC focused developers.

Bad News: Doesn't look like they have ever released a good game let alone an RPG. Last game got a whopping 4.5 just last year, in 2009, how long have they been working on Arcania?

This is Jowood we are talking about here and when have they ever made good decisions. Example: hiring some amateur (cheap price prolly) company to make an expansion for G3, Piranha Bytes actually had to go buy their own copy as they had no idea this was being done. lol

The main reason Jowood is still around is mainly due to the fact they "had" great developers behind them. Most of them like Arkane Studios and Piranha Bytes have left them behind. Spellbound i think is all they have left. lol

Really better wait for reviews and player feedback on this one.

Philx2000
07-24-2010, 05:12 PM
I am still hoping that like the last 3 Gothic games we will be able to play this in first person. Will this be a possible with Gothic 4, or will this be another Xbox game?

I liked playing through in 3rd person, and used the first person only for looking around. I would still like to see it as an option as there are lots of people who like 1st person.

ThomJWD
07-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Bad News: Doesn't look like they have ever released a good game let alone an RPG. Last game got a whopping 4.5 just last year, in 2009, how long have they been working on Arcania?

This is Jowood we are talking about here and when have they ever made good decisions. Example: hiring some amateur (cheap price prolly) company to make an expansion for G3, Piranha Bytes actually had to go buy their own copy as they had no idea this was being done. lol

The main reason Jowood is still around is mainly due to the fact they "had" great developers behind them. Most of them like Arkane Studios and Piranha Bytes have left them behind. Spellbound i think is all they have left. lol

Really better wait for reviews and player feedback on this one.Well, it is not that there were only good decisions in the past, I have to agree on that. Some "facts" your are naming are correct, some did not happend as you mentioned or are just not the truth, however there is no reason for us to hide the (high) quality of this game. ArcaniA will be awesome and if you have doubts on that, just give the demo version a try as soon as it will be released :)

Rendarius
07-26-2010, 11:37 AM
After looking at the trailer, I can see that the Gothic atmosphere is still around. However, I personally believe that ArcaniA is an ugly ♥♥♥ name and will not use it.

sytto
07-27-2010, 08:04 AM
I hope it's good as you say it is. It looks great, hope plays and performs as good too.

Are there loading screens? I really hope not, that is one of the staples of the Gothic series. Loading screens kill immersion.

fitsch
07-27-2010, 10:18 PM
NVM me being sleepy

damaged
07-27-2010, 10:22 PM
I don't know which Gothic games you played. The ones I played didn't have many loading screens tbh.

Read his post again, carefully.

fitsch
07-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Read his post again, carefully.

Yep my bad... sleepy just got up :p

insanefred
08-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Will this game have any DRM other then Steam?
Will we be able to turn off the super bright glowing effects in high contrast scenes in the game (the so called HDR). I hate that crap.

Philx2000
08-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Will we be able to turn off the super bright glowing effects in high contrast scenes in the game (the so called HDR). I hate that crap.

I hope there is no DRM and it is possible to turn off HDR.

TheoS_89
08-08-2010, 09:27 AM

I don't know about the DRM, but as far as I know, there will be two graphic-modes: "European" and "US" with US being brighter and shinier and European being darker and more realistic. Seems like there are different tastes after all :).

McJake
08-16-2010, 07:34 AM
I don't know about the DRM, but as far as I know, there will be two graphic-modes: "European" and "US" with US being brighter and shinier and European being darker and more realistic. Seems like there are different tastes after all :).

I hope they don't actually name it that in-game lol

deadlybydesign
08-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Demo, you say? Me likey.

Moklakins
08-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Will there be any DRM besides steam for this? If not i may pre order looks really good.

devious742
08-20-2010, 05:30 PM
this game is looking really good... ^^ reminded me of demon souls with the lock on and evasive combat.. :P will buy this :P

bes
08-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Im still on the fence about getting this...I liked Gothic 3, even though it was quite bug ridden and had terrible DRM(I got the disk version)...

I dont think I will bother with a pre-order if I do decide on getting this though until I find out what DRM it has..

jeffreydean1
08-21-2010, 09:16 PM
This will be an automatic buy for me as long as it has no additional DRM on top of Steam. I didnt buy Risen because it had Tages. Dont disappoint me Jowood... treat your paying customers with respect, not as if they were thieves.

iZach
08-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Hopefully the game is awesome.:)

mriguy
08-23-2010, 11:22 AM

I just hope that the European version does not have less blood and gore so they can appease the regulars.

Two graphic modes sound good. I know that there are several mods for Fallout 3 that add more color and better lighting, some like it while others before the original. Offering both is a good idea.

Forrest GIMP
08-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Well, it is not that there were only good decisions in the past, I have to agree on that. Some "facts" your are naming are correct, some did not happend as you mentioned or are just not the truth, however there is no reason for us to hide the (high) quality of this game. ArcaniA will be awesome and if you have doubts on that, just give the demo version a try as soon as it will be released :)

All the things that make the game more accessible, are they optional? I don't want to have to rely on mods to get a hardcore PC RPG experience that one would expect with the Gothic name. Risen kept the Gothic series flavor, and that saw an Xbox release, so I hope you guys have done the same here.

ThomJWD
08-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Well, the first island Feshyr is some kind of a tutorial area where you will learn how to use range weapons, magic, etc. This one is not optional ;) However if you mean all the questhelpers, minimaps, be able to see the life of the enemy, etc. ... yes they are all optional.

@mriguy: there is no cut version or whatever :)

bes
08-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Well, the first island Feshyr is some kind of a tutorial area where you will learn how to use range weapons, magic, etc. This one is not optional ;) However if you mean all the questhelpers, minimaps, be able to see the life of the enemy, etc. ... yes they are all optional.

Please tell us what DRM it uses, if its the STEAM DRM(steamworks) only then ill be happy,secuROM is ok as long as it doesnt have limited activations, any other DRM is a no-go and probably a no-buy for me, especially any STREAMING DRM crap like UBISOFT...

The DRM that came with the Gothic 3 Disk wasnt acceptable at all and was a complete pain in the ♥♥♥..

Mr.Bigtime
08-28-2010, 05:20 AM
i already prepurchased. i just want XBOX360 game pad support from this game natively pls :)

jeffreydean1
08-30-2010, 08:03 AM
I will prepurchase if ThomJWD or another JoWood employee here can confirm with certainty that Gothic 4 will NOT have DRM on top of Steam to limit activations like Risen had (TAGES). I still haven't purchased Risen even though I desperately want to play it and will not purchase ANY game that treats its paying customers like a criminal.

bes
08-30-2010, 08:59 AM
I will prepurchase if ThomJWD or another JoWood employee here can confirm with certainty that Gothic 4 will NOT have DRM on top of Steam to limit activations like Risen had (TAGES). I still haven't purchased Risen even though I desperately want to play it and will not purchase ANY game that treats its paying customers like a criminal.

Its taking a JoWOOD dev/mod a while to answer my question, I can only assume it HAS some sort of crazy DRM that screws over customers, like TAGES(limited activations or not TAGES is the devil),limited activations SecuROM, STREAMING DRM...etc..

jeffreydean1
08-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Its taking a JoWOOD dev/mod a while to answer my question, I can only assume it HAS some sort of crazy DRM that screws over customers, like TAGES(limited activations or not TAGES is the devil),limited activations SecuROM, STREAMING DRM...etc..

If it does, I won't buy it. Pretty simple. Disappointing, but if I dont vote with my wallet, things like this will keep happening and soon I wont be able to play ANY games. I will NEVER support paying customers getting a defective (DRM) product that treats them like criminals, while pirates crack and get a superior version of the game for free. Sooner or later publishers will realize that DRM does not and never has stopped piracy and ONLY punishes their paying customers.

Guyver3
08-30-2010, 04:17 PM
best game i played all game gothic

SimaLarioN
08-31-2010, 01:05 AM
jeffreydean1
If you buy the game on steam you wont hav issue with the securerom at all. On the other hand you will always need a connection for playing, thats not a problem for me though.

jeffreydean1
08-31-2010, 08:11 AM
jeffreydean1
If you buy the game on steam you wont hav issue with the securerom at all. On the other hand you will always need a connection for playing, thats not a problem for me though.

Risen had Tages. It only allowed for (3?) installs. Ever. I consider that a defective product and will not buy it. Needing an internet connection to play a single-player game is also something I would consider a defective product. I will not buy a game that punishes paying customers and rewards pirates. I dont understand what's so hard to understand here. Steam in and of itself is more than enough DRM for any game as most publishers have discovered. Adding defective software on top of Steam is an insult to a paying customer.

bes
08-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Risen had Tages. It only allowed for (3?) installs. Ever. I consider that a defective product and will not buy it. Needing an internet connection to play a single-player game is also something I would consider a defective product. I will not buy a game that punishes paying customers and rewards pirates. I dont understand what's so hard to understand here. Steam in and of itself is more than enough DRM for any game as most publishers have discovered. Adding defective software on top of Steam is an insult to a paying customer.

I agree with this guy, I have already stopped buying from UBISOFT and Activision for bad business practices, and insulting paying costumers(that includes the UBISOFT DRM)..etc..

Forrest GIMP
09-01-2010, 10:03 AM

Sounds good, thanks.

Lucian
09-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Can't wait, it will be great!