PDA

View Full Version : Promise me?

dormedas
07-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Valve, will you please promise me that you will continue to support this game with post-release free updates?

Yes, I am asking you to give me MORE free stuff, but in return you get more community members who love you in the steam community and therefore will be more inclined to buy (source) games off of steam anyways.

However, I don't want you to update the game with random drop systems or anything that would radically and fundamentally change the game's gameplay. (I'm looking at you Vanilla TF2 vs now)

Honestly, a few new weapons, deployables, maps, and players would be cool. Another possible idea is to outsource the work to the community like TF2's Contribute idea. Allow community-made mods or gametypes, models, weapons, and maps to be made official and available to all owners of the game.

Anyone else agree with me? If you disagree, please explain.

AaronEl
07-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Valve doesn't need to give you anything.

dormedas
07-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Valve doesn't need to give you anything.

Yes, I am asking you to give me MORE free stuff, but in return you get more community members who love you in the steam community and therefore will be more inclined to buy (source) games off of steam anyways.

I never said they did. My intent was not to beg for updates, but rather ask of them kindly that they support the game much like they did to TF2 considering the massive success it's been for them financially.

EDIT: The "Promise me?" bit was also a bit tongue-in-cheek...

Pihf
07-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I highly doubt there would be continuous free updates like tf2. Perhaps if the creators work on it in their spare time. Other projects don't get near the support tf2 does even when they cost money (DoD:S).

BrokenArts
07-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Hey, doesn't hurt to ask.

ğMλRCOĞ
07-16-2010, 06:00 PM
This game needs HATS :D

analogfantasies
07-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Something tells me that most of the free updates that we'll see for this game are going to be user created. That's why we're going to have access to the source. If the mod community does something spectacular that catches Valve's eye, I'm sure they won't think twice about making it official.

dormedas
07-16-2010, 06:01 PM
I highly doubt there would be continuous free updates like tf2. Perhaps if the creators work on it in their spare time. Other projects don't get near the support tf2 does even when they cost money (DoD:S).

I also (somewhat) doubt that there will be any official support past releasing the game since the developers are going to be hard at work on Portal 2 and perhaps other secret projects.

However, I think that the most economical way for Valve to keep the community happy and save money as well is to take contributions and make them official.

BrokenArts
07-16-2010, 06:05 PM
This game needs HATS :D

Black cat with a Fedora. :) If you mean official, the guys that worked on this game were hired two years ago by Valve.

dormedas
07-16-2010, 06:07 PM
This game needs HATS
Black cat with a Fedora. :)

As long as they're not excessive and in good taste, then sure.

I think a funny one would be a headcrab hat.

BrokenArts
07-16-2010, 06:09 PM
I googled for black cat with a fedora, and came up with nothing, time to photo chop.

SFJake
07-16-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm actually kind of annoyed that the game is free. Because thats whats telling me that the game won't be getting any update.

Jimyz
07-16-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm sure there will be Bugfixes/Glitchfixes/Exploitfixes and the like.

And probably some official *free* community campaigns down the road.

Time will tell.

And no, there won't be hats and achievement farm servers for weapon unlocks.

LOLZ!!!

Simon.C
07-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Says who? :P

Jimyz
07-16-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm actually kind of annoyed that the game is free. Because thats whats telling me that the game won't be getting any update.

Lets say that 10,000 people(and thats a pretty low number) DL this game and play it.

Lets then say, those 10,00 people buy a single game with the value between $30-$50.

Yeah... Valve earns their money indirectly by a lot.

If all the Official Summer Sale(Special Sale) Events are any indication on STEAM, Valve is getting their Christmas Bonus Check from this game by at least 10x probably.

Jimyz
07-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Says who? :P

BCG are not ones to just make something and then forget about it.

I bet you haven't played AS2K4 at all(or any one of their mods for that matter).

Simon.C
07-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Jimyz, I'm Cythe from the BCG forums. LOL

analogfantasies
07-16-2010, 06:47 PM

It's attitudes like this that annoy me. The guys at Black Cat obviously loved the game enough to keep working on it as a side project after being hired by Valve. Do you think they're suddenly going to stop loving the game?

slipperywhenwet
07-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Considering the fact that they do for every games (yes, that includes L4D1) I really wouldn't be shocked if they do.

=D Joe Mama
07-16-2010, 07:28 PM
No offence to the Black Cat employees but I'm betting they were hired specifically to make this game, it'll probably be supported by them as long as they have the job. Valve having a good free game gives more incentive to buy the other games, and there might be DLC. Don't complain if the DLC costs money, the base game is free.

AnubisArc999
07-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Valve, will you please promise me that you will continue to support this game with post-release free updates?

However, I don't want you to update the game with random drop systems or anything that would radically and fundamentally change the game's gameplay. (I'm looking at you Vanilla TF2 vs now)

Honestly, a few new weapons, deployables, maps, and players would be cool. Another possible idea is to outsource the work to the community like TF2's Contribute idea. Allow community-made mods or gametypes, models, weapons, and maps to be made official and available to all owners of the game.

Anyone else agree with me? If you disagree, please explain.

Last time I saw my moderator, she asked me if I was still a troll'in man

I told her, Yes ma'am.

Well, she says, Troll harder. CUZ it AIN'T Workin.

If they don't, make a Boycott Alien Swarm Steam group.

wazups 2x
07-16-2010, 09:05 PM
I think this game will be fine without any updates from Valve. There will be plenty of community content for this game. Plus it's free, I don't care at all if Valve updates it.

dormedas
07-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Last time I saw my moderator, she asked me if I was still a troll'in man

I told her, Yes ma'am.

Well, she says, Troll harder. CUZ it AIN'T Workin.

If they don't, make a Boycott Alien Swarm Steam group.

Not trollin.

And why would anyone boycott the game? As of yet, we're not expecting Alien Swarm 2.

Let me clarify: If this game does not get updates by valve I will NOT whine and cry over it, the game is free and I would honestly pay for the game anyways; I have found no reason to complain over free things because you haven't actually LOST anything by receiving it...