PDA

View Full Version : Download Community Content In-Game

wazups 2x
07-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Will we be able to download mods in-game? The L4D VPK system is quite annoying. I'm hoping this takes the TF2/CSS approach, where you download before you join the server.

Edit: I guess they used the L4D system for Alien Swarm. :(

borsdy
07-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Yes please, this would be good to keep the player base active I think :)

Thegreenthing16
07-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Do it now

Huh183
07-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Yes! This would make community content much more popular.

Bungle
07-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Agreed that the L4D system sucks. Way too hard to find new custom content without having to go out of your way to search for it.

goofkop
07-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Agreed that the L4D system sucks. Way too hard to find new custom content without having to go out of your way to search for it.

What this man said.

d10sfan
07-17-2010, 03:03 PM
It would be great to have the CSS, TF2, DODS system in place. Pretty much went backwards with L4D.

Nekomancer
07-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Well, the L4D maps are a lot bigger compared to the CS:S, TF2, DoD:S maps, right? And i mean filesize.

AS maps may even be smaller than the others due to the tiled map system. And that would be good in terms of in-game downloads.

Jay.
07-17-2010, 03:50 PM
I hope for a in-game system, too.

Skeith
07-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Well, the L4D maps are a lot bigger compared to the CS:S, TF2, DoD:S maps, right? And i mean filesize.

AS maps may even be smaller than the others due to the tiled map system. And that would be good in terms of in-game downloads.

Yeah in L4D it was reasonable since maps could be 200MB+ easy, but here it seems like maps could be pretty small so being able to download maps in game wouldn't be an issue.

DarkRepublica
07-17-2010, 07:59 PM

with a tiles system, i would be expecting the downloaded files to contain:
A) new content(new tiles, skins, weps, meshes, U.I., Interface, Sounds, Particles, mods, Et c.)
B) a set of id variables for each tile, coupled with
C) a set of co-ordinates, size, Et c.
D)specific scripts for events, Et c.
E)monster spawn locations, item locations, ammo and heAlth locations, and basically any predetermined item which isn't hardcoded into tiles.

may be looking at 1-80 mb for map, or server files.

BFishY
07-22-2010, 06:54 PM
I have yet to play any custom map in l4d/l4d2...

The sites they send you in-game feel and look like they will give me a virus and manual install sucks.

Alien Swarm will die if they do it that way

wazups 2x
07-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Yeah, it's much harder to get the community content out for everyone to play when it uses the L4D system.

shackanaw
07-22-2010, 11:22 PM
The sites they send you in-game feel and look like they will give me a virus and manual install sucks.

I haven't tried joining a server with custom content in Left 4 Dead, does it give you a link or something when you try to join?

RJackson
07-22-2010, 11:26 PM
I haven't tried joining a server with custom content in Left 4 Dead, does it give you a link or something when you try to join?

It gives you the link, but the link is set by the map/campaign author; meaning it can be incorrect, outdated or just to a website's homepage.

Snausages
07-22-2010, 11:26 PM

It will link you to the website that hosts the file, and you can download from there. It's the same for this game.

Most people won't put in the effort to download a map externally. It's just the truth. That's why I advocate periodic releases of new official campaigns, community made or not, to keep the game alive. I believe it's very unlikely that they'll switch over to the CSS/TF2 system of custom content.

oscar123123123
07-22-2010, 11:30 PM
/signed

Tacota
07-22-2010, 11:31 PM
with a tiles system, i would be expecting the downloaded files to contain:
A) new content(new tiles, skins, weps, meshes, U.I., Interface, Sounds, Particles, mods, Et c.)
B) a set of id variables for each tile, coupled with
C) a set of co-ordinates, size, Et c.
D)specific scripts for events, Et c.
E)monster spawn locations, item locations, ammo and heAlth locations, and basically any predetermined item which isn't hardcoded into tiles.

may be looking at 1-80 mb for map, or server files.

and good maps made in the hammer editor wouldn't have these things? Tiles system is just a quicker way to make decent maps. not necessarily a larger file than maps made in the editor.

Maybe full-blown addons should be externally downloaded... but come on, just a .bsp file? +1 VOTE FOR DOWNLOADING WHEN JOINING.