PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Fire

darks
07-18-2010, 09:31 PM
I know this discussion has been beaten to-death on the Black Cat Forums, but I sure hope they have an option to turn off FF. I canít tell you many times someone would be an ♥♥♥ or jerk or by accident FF would kill another player. I hope for those of us that like FF off that thereís an option.

BLAZE44
07-18-2010, 09:33 PM
how do you know it is on

DreamSphinx
07-18-2010, 09:34 PM
So what are you going to do if your medic doesn't have any medkits and your teammate is infected with parasites?

With FF on, you can mow him down (if he agrees) to stop him from hurting the rest of the team. With FF off he's just a walking timebomb.

Shrimpsess
07-18-2010, 09:43 PM
So what are you going to do if your medic doesn't have any medkits and your teammate is infected with parasites?

Welcome to DIE!

But seriously, friendly fire is part of the experience. If you aren't playing at 11 pm and had to just restart from a wipe due to a friendly fire accident, your doing it wrong :P

J/k, but really. FF is awesome on this game.

facepalm
07-18-2010, 09:48 PM
griefing HAS becoming fairly prevalent since the L4D series hasn't it?

Shrimpsess
07-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Just take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uosmCY6rGLU

Fuzzy Bunny
07-18-2010, 09:52 PM
griefing HAS becoming fairly prevalent since the L4D series hasn't it?

Please. I was griefing back in Mario Bros. 3.

facepalm
07-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Please. I was griefing back in Mario Bros. 3.

yeah but that isn't nearly the same as what it later evolved into now is it. Also there's something totally gratifying about griefing people on a console in the same room as you versus doing it all anonymous online. At least to me. sorta.

Fangoram
07-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Just take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uosmCY6rGLU

That's the original UT2k4 mod.... There's no telling if this version will have friendly fire or if it will be toggle.... Just wait 14 hours and we'll see.

bloodypalace
07-18-2010, 10:04 PM
I have never played this game before BUT i can see how FF can be a problem in top down games. So, what's stopping you from mowing down your teammate if runs in front of you by accident? In top down games you can't shoot over/around somebody after all...

Shrimpsess
07-18-2010, 10:04 PM
That's the original UT2k4 mod.... There's no telling if this version will have friendly fire or if it will be toggle.... Just wait 14 hours and we'll see.

True, but most of the original fans like me would consider it a travesty if FF isn't included. Its a part of the game, as I said.

I dont have any problems with it being toggleable, but it at least has to be there.

Priscilla
07-18-2010, 10:05 PM
I have never played this game before BUT i can see how FF can be a problem in top down games. So, what's stopping you from mowing down your teammate if runs in front of you by accident? In top down games you can't shoot over/around somebody after all...

Which is why it's a tactical game, and not a "spray bullets randomly" game.

Fangoram
07-18-2010, 10:08 PM
True, but most of the original fans like me would consider it a travesty if FF isn't included. Its a part of the game, as I said.

I dont have any problems with it being toggleable, but it at least has to be there.

I'm guessing it's going to be togglable since it would apeal to more people that way... I know a few who refuse to play games where ff is turned on and others who refuse to play with it off..

Regardless though the games going to be awesome.

Fuzzy Bunny
07-18-2010, 10:10 PM
yeah but that isn't nearly the same as what it later evolved into now is it. Also there's something totally gratifying about griefing people on a console in the same room as you versus doing it all anonymous online. At least to me. sorta.

My point was merely that it's nothing new. I do it playing chess, Risk, poker, and dominoes, too.

Shrimpsess
07-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Griefing in Risk must be great fun.

Fuzzy Bunny
07-18-2010, 10:16 PM
It takes awhile to get the ball rolling. But when it goes, it really goes.

darks
07-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Which is why it's a tactical game, and not a "spray bullets randomly" game.

Tactical my$$, there’s no such thing as tactical in this game. Once the endless re-spawning starts that is all this game becomes is spray and fire. I know I’ve seen it way to many times. It’s called panic fire, you always get someone who thinks he’s Rambo and can spry fire the whole room. And as someone else stated it, this is a top down game, there is no way at all to control what another player does and running in front of your firing is a problem. Plus your just trying to keep ur self alive and when the horde masses come at you others die from panic fire.

This is a big problem min LFD 2 but at least it’s controllable because it’s a first person shooter and can see what’s happening and react better. Top down sucks for your aiming which is why FF sucks!

Herborist
07-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Isn't the game all or none? When the yellow player died from the door falling on him the mission ended, so if there was friendly fire we'd almost never complete a mission...

Nachimir
07-19-2010, 02:29 AM
Tactical my$$, thereís no such thing as tactical in this game. Once the endless re-spawning starts that is all this game becomes is spray and fire. I know Iíve seen it way to many times. Itís called panic fire

You are, most assuredly, doing it wrong.

Felix
07-19-2010, 02:40 AM
I have been playing Alien Swarm for more then four years. It would not be the same without FF. On option to turn it of in the lobby would not hurt though.
Without FF it would be to easy and not believable. One said FF would not work in third person view. It does. Try the original and you will see.
In L4D you can also see that FF is fun. If you take FF you take some part of Alien Swarm.

Felix
07-19-2010, 02:42 AM
Isn't the game all or none? When the yellow player died from the door falling on him the mission ended, so if there was friendly fire we'd almost never complete a mission...

No the game was over because of "no tech marine alive"!

Some AS missions require a tech to hack something. The mission fails when you cant hack it anymore.

kangaxx85
07-19-2010, 05:16 AM
FF is what seperates the men from the boys...
But hopefully an option to turn it off is implemented. So you can easily see which games to avoid...

Social-Pariah
07-19-2010, 05:45 AM
My point was merely that it's nothing new. I do it playing chess, Risk, poker, and dominoes, too.

Wait... what? Griefing in chess? What?

Do you kill your own pawns off with your own pieces or something? Because I'm pretty sure that's not allowed...

Shrimpsess
07-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Without FF it would be to easy and not believable.

This. I can't imagine how easy it will be when there is no risk from shooting near a partner to kill an alien that is attacking him.

catbarf
07-19-2010, 07:00 AM
We'll see how many of you still look down on the 'no-FF' option after five newbies in a row accidentally kill the whole team with panic fire or flamethrowers. You jaded veterans may not have had much experience with it in the original Alien Swarm, because there were never many newbies at any time, but through trying to get friends to play I have been on the receiving end of total-party-kill friendly fire incidents more than once.

The FPS player's instinct when attacked is to backpedal and shoot. With an automatic weapon that means bullets everywhere in the general direction of the rest of your team, and if the FF is as unforgiving as in the original AS, they will die.

Talcon
07-19-2010, 07:05 AM
griefing HAS becoming fairly prevalent since the internet hasn't it?

Fixed

catbarf
07-19-2010, 07:12 AM
This. I can't imagine how easy it will be when there is no risk from shooting near a partner to kill an alien that is attacking him.

Here I was thinking the danger in the game comes from the alien SWARM, not random individual aliens killing the special weapons guy while he tries to reload his autogun.

Talcon
07-19-2010, 07:20 AM
As someone who only found out about this game two days ago, and someone who only found out about it having friendly fire just now: http://i25.tinypic.com/14udnd1.png

Ric666
07-19-2010, 07:24 AM
FF is all good when you're playing with your mates but when you're playing with random people online they are just going to turn round & shoot you in the face. There is always a bunch of [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color] that do this & it wrecks the game for everyone else. Include an option for it to be turned off when playing with randoms please.

darks
07-19-2010, 01:07 PM
FF is all good when you're playing with your mates but when you're playing with random people online they are just going to turn round & shoot you in the face. There is always a bunch of [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color] that do this & it wrecks the game for everyone else. Include an option for it to be turned off when playing with randoms please.

Agreed, add an option for those of us who want it off can turn it off.

capitalsown
07-19-2010, 01:08 PM
how do you know it is on

When ALL YOUR FRIENDS START DYING because of you.