PDA

View Full Version : How not to get annihilated by Starships in the beginng of the game?

He@vens
07-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Hello everyone,

Fantastic game you made here guys, I'm having loads of fun, plenty of difficulties to chose from, amazing diversity of ships, conquer the galaxy your own way, very impressive game that doesn't look like much at first glance, well done. Overall the game is filled with great ideas and amazingness only comparable to the prize it deserves.

That out of the way, I'm a newbie in need of help:

I started recently a game (random easy/moderate AI, 7/7 difficulty, 50 planets, latest Beta Patch, no minors and Raptor as special ship).

My problem is the two wormholes out of my system lead to a Starfleet Commander AI who favors Starships.

Usually taking a few systems is not a problem but here i get annihilated even if i choose to attack his weakest system.

I tried an army of 100/100/100 Fighters/Bombers/Cruisers followed by a Mobile Repair Station but there's nothing i can do, he kills me nice and good with Starships of every kind at close combat and Dreads who pound me from long range.

So,

- Do i have to micro a lot to be able to take at least one system to be able to get a bigger army? (send all my Fighters to attack the dreads maybe?)

- Should i send Raptors? (they seem kinda weak for that type of engagement)

- Should I start the game building Starships of my own?

Any kind of help and advice would be greatly and kindly apreciated (I don't wanna give up on this map and teach that AI a lesson, if i can ^^)

x4000
07-20-2010, 07:05 AM
Many thanks for your support, and glad you're enjoying the game!

If you're a new player, though, I'd recommend staying away from the starfleet commanders entirely. Those really ought to be a technologist ai type, they are super hard to play against.

That said, if you want to persist with that save, you'll need lots of stuff that kills starships. That means fighters of all sorts, and as many dreadnought starships as you can muster, mainly. I would also build gravity turrets instead of tractor turrets, because most starships are immune to tractors.

That's going to be a really tough scenario even for an expert at the game, though. I coded it and designed it, and I have yet to beat a starfleet commander, heh. Mainly because when I see them I run. ;)

Hope that helps! Good luck. :)

QMAN_PL
08-01-2010, 02:40 AM
Hello everyone,

Fantastic game you made here guys, I'm having loads of fun, plenty of difficulties to chose from, amazing diversity of ships, conquer the galaxy your own way, very impressive game that doesn't look like much at first glance, well done. Overall the game is filled with great ideas and amazingness only comparable to the prize it deserves.

That out of the way, I'm a newbie in need of help:

I started recently a game (random easy/moderate AI, 7/7 difficulty, 50 planets, latest Beta Patch, no minors and Raptor as special ship).

My problem is the two wormholes out of my system lead to a Starfleet Commander AI who favors Starships.

Usually taking a few systems is not a problem but here i get annihilated even if i choose to attack his weakest system.

I tried an army of 100/100/100 Fighters/Bombers/Cruisers followed by a Mobile Repair Station but there's nothing i can do, he kills me nice and good with Starships of every kind at close combat and Dreads who pound me from long range.

So,

- Do i have to micro a lot to be able to take at least one system to be able to get a bigger army? (send all my Fighters to attack the dreads maybe?)

- Should i send Raptors? (they seem kinda weak for that type of engagement)

- Should I start the game building Starships of my own?

Any kind of help and advice would be greatly and kindly apreciated (I don't wanna give up on this map and teach that AI a lesson, if i can ^^)

Without special ships only few things works vr starships:
Figthers, laser gatling and riot ship II that one with paralyze gun on short range.

Its really hard to kill any starship especially raidship without special weapons. My favorite stuff is heavy beam II-III, and teleport station. With Teleport Station you can clear all enemy special guard post, and Main Station really fast. You can clear 100 systems in less then 1 hour by using only teleport station. And of corse any teleport station can really effective attack enemy starships on number. Tele I have 6 x sim shots by 700 each, tele IV 20 x by 1300 each. So any 100 telestation group dont have problem to kill "any number" of starships.

Heavy Beam II-III is really deadly for starships too (sim shot x 3 II (do 150-225 k dmg) and x 7 III (do like 225k-475k dmg)).

And dont forget about gravitional trap II(max speed 4) - III(max speed 2 and big range).

Gravitional trap I is only usefull for slow down that the most faster ships like bombers I-II, riders, fighter, riders... but at longer battle dont have much use coz not much slow down frigates (what have basic speed 12)

If you have many res and energy, just build mercenary dock and non stop build up fighters ;) i know its 10 times expencive but there is no limit, you can build at this way even 20 k fighters II.