PDA

View Full Version : Leveling Chars during campaign MOD (like in AS1)

aphrodelic
07-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Hi!
found out this nice little console command:
asw_custom_skill_points
if you set it to 1 and start a new mplayer game you get 2 points after each map to level up your characters stats, like you could in the old AS game. pretty awesome imo.
To make this a "real" mod we know need to finde out where to change the starting values (if u turn this one every character starts with zero points, so adding some base skill values would be nice) and possibly we need to find a way to save campaign progress (the game even seems to save after finishing or failing a mission, if u look in the save folder) and load it afterwards.

edit: ill also post this on the main AS forum.

Bonzar
07-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Just thinking ahead, to anticipate a similar problem to the ammo types in F3, what would happen as we reach caps? We would have characters that are overpowered for some maps, and some maps would be designed for it and may even anticipate super characters (for mods that let you increase level caps).

Don't get me wrong, this is a great find and something I brought up earlier on a different thread. I think the community should brainstorm for possible solutions to such an issue. Unless we're expecting it to last only long enough for each session. Then screw it, we'll just level up each time.

Which might be a good idea for campaign makers; just reset the stats to zero (or some default level) each time it begins and let us build ourselves up from there. Then they have a more concise notion of how to ramp up the difficulty to stay inline with our uber powers. Or lack thereof.

PS - What I mean by similar to Fallout 3 is the overlapping of ammo types because not everyone was on the same page, even after the Community Ammunition project.

aphrodelic
07-20-2010, 03:03 PM
thats how it was in the old AS every time you started a campaign, u had to start with the base values. and thats what i meant. but since a campaign can be quiet a few hours long it would be nice to save mid campaign and continue later on. and yeah, in the old alien swarm, campaigns were build so that you had to level up to make it through the last maps. i dont get why they cut that from this game when they allready have it via console command.