PDA

View Full Version : STEAM TRIAL BEFORE PURCHASE??

Jahkillian
07-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Heres a suggestion.

In the future, why doesn't steam give people a 24Hour trial period. If a person purchases a game from steam and doesn't like it, they can get a full refund, Or at least steam credit. It would be easy for steam to do. All they have to do is cancel the cdkey.
This will eliminate people like my self feeling ripped off, and the people that are satisfied can continue to play.

Or is this just a big scam to make a cash grab?

BroflMouth
07-21-2010, 08:17 PM
It isn't possible, it would be illegal for Valve to distribute other people's games for a free 24 hour trial without the publishers permission.

And 24 hours is too much time, maybe 1-3 hours but 24 hours is too much.

Jahkillian
07-21-2010, 08:41 PM
It isn't possible, it would be illegal for Valve to distribute other people's games for a free 24 hour trial without the publishers permission.

And 24 hours is too much time, maybe 1-3 hours but 24 hours is too much.

Well i mean, we pay for it. Even a hour trial/refund period would be good. We pay, we download, play, if we feel scammed, cancel the purchase. Steam gives us refund or credit. Seeing how its a credit card, the funds are on hold anyways.

BroflMouth
07-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Well i mean, we pay for it. Even a hour trial/refund period would be good. We pay, we download, play, if we feel scammed, cancel the purchase. Steam gives us refund or credit. Seeing how its a credit card, the funds are on hold anyways.
It's still not possible, they would still need permission from publishers. The main issue would be if somebody canceled it than that CD key becomes useless, Valve doesn't own all of the systems for various games that authenticates CD keys and stuff so the CD key would just go to waste.

And what you are saying is like a subscription fee, type of thing, minus the refund. No offense, but I don't think it is a very good idea. I suggest looking up gameplay videos and reading reviews to decide this type of thing.

Jahkillian
07-22-2010, 09:51 PM
It's still not possible, they would still need permission from publishers. The main issue would be if somebody canceled it than that CD key becomes useless, Valve doesn't own all of the systems for various games that authenticates CD keys and stuff so the CD key would just go to waste.

And what you are saying is like a subscription fee, type of thing, minus the refund. No offense, but I don't think it is a very good idea. I suggest looking up gameplay videos and reading reviews to decide this type of thing.

Well they could have had a free weekend like they are for Lead and Gold.

Nitronumber9
07-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Well they could have had a free weekend like they are for Lead and Gold.

Its not a Steam exclusive title so I don't think they can do a free weekend for it. (although they did with Ruse so its possible)

Either way they have to first contact the developer, the publisher, Microsoft, and anyone else who holds the rights to organize it.

So its highly unlikely thier will be one.

BTW have you tried sending a message to support asking them for a refund if you hate the game that much? They won't refund you but it may make you feel better.

BTW, Steam have nothing to do with Blacklight, Blacklight does NOT! require Steam, just thought I'd let you know since you keep falling into that hole.

kornswag
07-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Heres a suggestion.

In the future, why doesn't steam give people a 24Hour trial period. If a person purchases a game from steam and doesn't like it, they can get a full refund, Or at least steam credit. It would be easy for steam to do. All they have to do is cancel the cdkey.
This will eliminate people like my self feeling ripped off, and the people that are satisfied can continue to play.

Or is this just a big scam to make a cash grab?

SURE, just have the retail stores give you a refund for an open game too and I'm sure steam will follow right along!

Jahkillian
07-23-2010, 05:51 PM
SURE, just have the retail stores give you a refund for an open game too and I'm sure steam will follow right along!

Ok Steam defender!

This weekend, Lead for Gold is free. I can play it all weekend and if its good enough to make me jones for more, ill buy it.

Why couldn't that be done for Black Light?

Scorr
07-23-2010, 05:58 PM
It is up to the developer not steam. Understand? How does this idea elude you?

Lead and Gold has a free weekend because Lead and Gold dev/pub wanted to. Obviously this is not something Blacklight developer wants to do.

Steam is just the distributor, the fact you think this is in their power shows you are just a nublet.

Clearly blacklight is a pile of crap game, and their developer is taking the money and running. Steam and Valve have nothing more to do with this than Best Buy or EB games would.

Jahkillian
07-23-2010, 06:03 PM
It is up to the developer not steam. Understand? How does this idea elude you?

Lead and Gold has a free weekend because Lead and Gold dev/pub wanted to. Obviously this is not something Blacklight developer wants to do.

Steam is just the distributor, the fact you think this is in their power shows you are just a nublet.

Clearly blacklight is a pile of crap game, and their developer is taking the money and running. Steam and Valve have nothing more to do with this than Best Buy or EB games would.

I always new that. I guess I wasn't explaining it properly.

Princess_Player
07-24-2010, 08:31 AM
a trial time of 1 hours is enough if you can get trough the live registration then you can experience the infinitively long time it takes to find a lag game and the infinitely long chance of a slim possibility of a maybe find a game whit all 4 bars of ping suggesting it will run smooth

thomasmice
07-24-2010, 12:48 PM
I feel scammed. Could have bought Lead and Gold an 2 Happy Meals with the 15 bucks.

The game is good but the waiting is just horrible...

E: I think the game is enjoyable, but it needs more players, joining games that are already going on and stuff..

E2: Oh and everyone is right about the connection. I searched for over half an hour and I found a game. Now that was fun, time to get my KDR ruined by some kind of ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ host and his dial in internet because the rest of the players had about 2 connection stripes :S. That sucks you know!

altruizm
07-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Why are you using the word "scam"? No, sorry, this is in no way detailing a scam. Do your due diligence before purchasing a game and this won't happen. I've bought games I thought were terrible before and never felt "scammed". I felt like an idiot for purchasing something I didn't know enough about but that's it. Maybe you're just an idiot?

thomasmice
07-24-2010, 02:19 PM
I didn't know it takes hours to find a game.

JustGam3r
07-24-2010, 03:38 PM
I would say 48 hours is fine, but on games like MW2 people would constantly get banned. In the end it would end up cheating.

pup9et
07-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Because then the companys would loose the money , and it would cost them ohhhh so much money to create such a thing. I bought this knowing that it was probably a recoded console game like mw2 garbage , but it looked intresting so i thought id give it a try. i live in upstate NY , and it takes about 10 min to find a game , if any. If you ask me in the steam should be made to post if the game Orignated on PC or console , or was ported over. Steam you are going to loose your dedicated pc fan base.

pup9et
07-25-2010, 09:17 AM
I would say 48 hours is fine, but on games like MW2 people would constantly get banned. In the end it would end up cheating. They cheat anyways , and steam VAc aint doing ♥♥♥♥ to fix them.