PDA

View Full Version : The Cube, map request/wish

carp3diem
07-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Haven't seen this one come up so gonna write up one of my idea/wish.

Prob most of you guys have seen the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01hUyIrubWE so already you know what Im talking about. The shifting rooms maybe be somewhere difficult to set in action, but 24x24 rooms with randomized traps/swarm-spawns and random exit had been fun.
Rooms should be tiny and dark =)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
|_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||E|
|_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_|
|_||_||_||_||_||_||_||S||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_|

You get the picture ;)

HydratedPinkus
07-21-2010, 10:40 PM
The only problem I see is the camera.

With it pulled back and there being no ceilings, nothing is stopping you from seeing into the next cube

Derpster
07-21-2010, 10:42 PM
The only problem I see is the camera.

With it pulled back and there being no ceilings, nothing is stopping you from seeing into the next cube

Perhaps making it pitch black and forcing the player to use a flashlight? That could always work.

Either that, or having the lights shift from room to room following the player, that way he can't see over next door.

carp3diem
07-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Light only active when player is in the room or something like Derpster said. Still, loved rooms where the walls closed in on you, fire in your ♥♥♥ and laser cuts your hair. Let each room has its own unique trap =)

CARmakazie
07-22-2010, 12:37 AM
This sounds crazy fun. PLEASE someone make this.

tkellaway
07-22-2010, 04:22 AM
Thats an awesome idea. I might give it a go but who knows if it'll work :p

NAKarwisch
07-22-2010, 04:28 AM
Hm. Seems interesting. I'll give it a shot.

tkellaway
07-22-2010, 04:52 AM
This texture kind of works:

http://i25.tinypic.com/2my8zs1.jpg

I guess the doors would need to be floor-level though, unlike the movie.

Edit: Never mind, very steep stairs work.

Dark-Dragon
07-22-2010, 05:00 AM
didn't really like the movie, but the idea to bring this to alien swarm is quite nice!

Xalticus
07-22-2010, 05:28 AM
Lack of ceilings isn't really a problem, as each section would look harmless from your current vantage point, however once you enter that area, all hell will break loose, in true Cube fashion.

tkellaway
07-22-2010, 06:10 AM
Wow, the simple geometry highlights how crazy the default bloom levels are:
http://i30.tinypic.com/2clkrr.jpg

Also, this is pretty damn fun :p

Roast Beef
07-22-2010, 06:23 AM
I always thought that there should have been a cube style portal mod with multiplayer and teamwork.

YoungScripter
07-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Awesome.

tkellaway
07-22-2010, 07:52 AM
I just put the two rooms together - when you break out of one cube into the next, you can open the entrance door from the other side without bringing the stairs up. This means you can't escape from the room once you jump down unless the tech follows and hacks the panel to let you out :p

So players should end up standing on the ledge like this for a while sweating about whether or not to jump in:

http://i26.tinypic.com/30vp1qc.jpg

I might try making the traps slightly randomized to add a little re-playability - maybe 1/3 the times nothing happens, 1/3 aliens spawn, 1/3 a trap that may or may not kill you triggers.

carp3diem
07-22-2010, 07:52 AM
I'm not very good at Hammer so I can't make it on the fly.. But what if some of us get together making a roomtemplate, and the customize one/two rooms each, then someone "hammer-smart" put it together?

I don't know how many "interaction-objects" that are with the AS-editorpackage but had been fun with lasers, gas, water filling the room etc. Also when you step into a room you can choose between for example fire extinguisher or an chainsaw, and in the tre other connected rooms it is A) certain death, B) Fire or C) Swarms. In other words; Have I got the right item, and Im a stepping into the right room.. And of course It's only ONE way out.

This should make the map quite challenging. Also I feel that this kinda map have the possibillity to have a lot of different scenarios =)

tkellaway: Nice =), What about adding a trigger in the next room so the past room is filled with something deadly, in other words no way back.. 2 sec halt, or something.

YoungScripter
07-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Bump for awesomeness.

carp3diem
07-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Made some testrooms, but I haven't got alot of time on my hands, I am new to hammer and so on. If Ill be the one makin it it will be finished in maybe a month :p

JeremyG
07-24-2010, 02:43 PM
*bump for genious level*
I really like this idea! =D

tkellaway
07-25-2010, 03:33 AM
I sure hope you guys want a map like this because it looks like we'll get a bunch of them :/

I've finished four epic traps and the starting cube, with plenty of fan blades, laser beams and lava. I don't want to spoil all of them so heres just the first one that I did:

http://i25.tinypic.com/312y8oi.jpg

I'm designing them so you should have a chance to avoid death if you pay close attention to several small cues in the environment. For example, just before the lasers fire up, you can just see some little red turrets stick out of the wall and spark a bit.

Only problems so far are that the navigation with the bots doesn't work across the steep stairs and I wanted to use a ragdoll magnet to make a black-hole thing, but that entity didn't work either.

Edit: 7 working rooms atm

carp3diem
07-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Looks epic.=)

Any idea on a solution for that the player sees whats in the next room? I thought about <2turnon light on trigger", but naming more than 6 lights gives compile notifications (Too many face lights etc)..

When I tried to make something similar I used doors. Maybe thats an easier way?

Tried to make some traps myself without any luck =( For example start a fire on trigger.

and yes, what you got here is awesome =) pls add me to steam if interested about sharing thoughts, ideas, knowledge about cube layout style (same as my nick here). Maybe I can help in someway ;p

YoungScripter
07-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Sweet. Can't wait to play this!

Issus_C
07-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Looks epic.=)

Any idea on a solution for that the player sees whats in the next room? I thought about <2turnon light on trigger", but naming more than 6 lights gives compile notifications (Too many face lights etc)..

Perhaps something using alpha fade. You could somehow obstruct the view of the player therefore not allowing them to see into the next room, and then once they step into the next room the obstruction fades.

You could do this by setting up your obstruction (whether it's a ceiling or high wall or something) as either a func_brush or a prop_dynamic, and changing the rendermode to "texture". Then create a trigger_once entity and cover the room with it (the one you don't want them to see). Go to it's output and do the following:

Output : OnStartTouch
Entities : <name of your obstruction brush/prop>
Via this input : Alpha (won't work unless the render mode is set to texture)
Parameter : (0 for fully invisible, 255 for fully solid, everywhere inbetween is a fade of varying degree).

This way the player won't be able to see into the room until they set foot in it, at which point the obstruction will appear to disappear.

carp3diem
07-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks =) I will try that... Just haft to figure out where rendermode etc is but google should have the answer.. :p

Issus_C
07-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks =) I will try that... Just haft to figure out where rendermode etc is but google should have the answer.. :p

I think it should be in the properties of both func_brush entities and prop_static. Just slightly above the color property.

carp3diem
07-25-2010, 09:39 AM
cant get it to work.. Seems like the the propertyboxes on both the trigger and the roof are resetting themself. For example when I make a trigger_once and a func_brush and press apply, make the different settings/ouput etc and exit the propertywindow, they resets somehow because when I upon them the second time theyre back to VisGroup =(

Nevemind; it's working! =)

maxovitsj
07-25-2010, 10:32 AM
if anyone wants to work together on this map, im open for it :)

carp3diem
07-25-2010, 11:06 AM
if anyone wants to work together on this map, im open for it :)

Im in, though very new to Hammer but Im a quick learner. Used to work in 3D from back in the days when I played with Cinema4D. Also have some basic Photoshop skills..

My steam ID is same as my nick.

Btw: Love your Youtube tuts =)

Btw, I have two issues I cant seem to figure out if someone care to help me (again :P )

Make fire on trigger. I can get fire when messing with the Flags and using env_fire but when I connects it to a trigger it wont do.
Sounds. Tried both ambient_generic and asw_ambient_generic, here also messing with settings, flags and triggers. Cant get out any sound at all

BugBusterAnon
07-26-2010, 12:35 PM
tkellaway's map is looking the best, so everyone just cool your heels. Unless you guys can work with tkellaway then don't bother unless you really feel you can contribute largely to the map and/or outshine him.

Boko
07-26-2010, 12:56 PM
This sort of reminds me of a game that was PS1.
It was 4 players and you had to kill eachother by manipulating the room (a cube, by rotating it by pushing the walls) in order to kill the other players depending on where they were standing. (Like spikes which were on the wall would then be on the ground, so a player adjacent to those spikes would then fall in to them.

I'm not sure if that's exactly possible with the SDK though but would be very fun.

carp3diem
07-26-2010, 01:20 PM
tkellaway's map is looking the best, so everyone just cool your heels. Unless you guys can work with tkellaway then don't bother unless you really feel you can contribute largely to the map and/or outshine him.

We shall see ;)

Issus_C
07-26-2010, 01:23 PM

Looking best in comparison to what? He's the only one who's posted screens... lol :D

Boko
07-26-2010, 02:55 PM
I've made a little contribution to this idea..
Platforms which trigger spawns so players cannot walk on them.

I have a cube map, with 4 grates in the corners where parasites can spawn.. but they only spawn if a player triggers them to spawn by stepping on a wrong tile.

Here's an example:
Before stepping on bad tile:
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/9730/bef.png
After stepping on bad tile:
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/8559/aff.png

BugBusterAnon
07-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Looking best in comparison to what? He's the only one who's posted screens... lol :D

Nope, few pages back someone else posted some screenies of what they were doing.

EDIT: Or not, seems that person removed them, they were here when I checked yesterday at around 3am. GMT+00.

tkellaway
07-27-2010, 07:11 AM
The map is nearly done. It's not an accurate re-make of the movie so I've made the sections between the cubes a bit longer:

http://i32.tinypic.com/2e34ig0.jpg

There are three eggs and three chunks of biomass to destroy, and then you've got to get to the end to hold off a final wave. Only three cubes and the finale left to do. There'll be twelve cubes in the final map.

I've made a little contribution to this idea..
Platforms which trigger spawns so players cannot walk on them.

I have a cube map, with 4 grates in the corners where parasites can spawn.. but they only spawn if a player triggers them to spawn by stepping on a wrong tile.

I've already done a trap similar to this, only with moving mines. I'll try to include this too though :p

Any ideas for the ending?

Issus_C
07-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Any ideas for the ending?

Looking good dude. How about using a player teleport that whacks you back to the beginning, and then just as th player is going "wtf? I'm back here?!" the mission complete comes up :D

tkellaway
07-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Making the last room look exactly like the first room could be funny, teleporting back to the start though might just be janky-looking. I'd want to end with the players escaping or something. Not that there's a story :cool:

Also, I've done Boko's room idea. There's a few small issues with it but it's pretty funny. An alarm sounds and the room lights up red if you step in the darker squares:

http://i26.tinypic.com/2rcqtja.jpg

Edit: The map is done. I'm worried there aren't enough enemies and I've still got to compile it into a VPK. I'll upload it here when it's done.

Edit: The VPK stuff is terrible. There is no way I can get this to work.

BugBusterAnon
07-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Wow, sweet. You should make this a complete addon. Replace marine models with colonists, take away weapons using a strip trigger/give everyone a rifle or tesla (sucky weapons. More challenge.) There were 112 maps in the movie right? Make it a complete add on and do every one :D AND the ones from the movie. This could be one of the best mods for AS EVER.DOUBLE PERIOD. Simple replayability factor will be SLICK. You can go 1 of 4 ways at the spawn, then another 3 ways, then another 3 ways. It's like one of those decision trees, you want to do it over and over until you've done everyone of them!
I shouldn't get too amped up about this though, you most likely won't do it and are glad that it's over and done with.

Still at least give it a thought, I'm sure lots of people would love to play this. If you did do 112 rooms, it'd take a person almost an entire 2 days to do every single cube (no one would ever do every single cube room and possible path.) So In esscence no one could fully complete it - unless they really have no life or love the game./me/smileyface/.

/excitedmode

BugBusterAnon
07-30-2010, 01:41 AM
what the hell man? This thread has died for like 2 days.

Bump.

Finished yet? :D

tkellaway
07-30-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm one step closer to tackling this god-awful VPK format. I've gotten the overview to appear at last, but it's slightly mis-aligned:

http://i29.tinypic.com/33mwo51.jpg

Why is it so hard to find a tutorial without spelling mistakes, errors or a nonsensical mess of never-ending sentences?

Edit: Got the map lined up, Now I'm adding the images for each objective.

BugBusterAnon
07-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Cool. Cool, Look forward to it. I'm currently working on a platform type map involving asw_weapon_jump_jet (assault jets), triggers and a whole lot of lols.

If there's a shield bug on a platform, but you can't see it and fly on over there, it's prolly gonna knock you flying off, straight into a trigger_hurt 2000 damage, fall block. :)

I like these li'l surprises here and there.

Scratch all that. I give up. Everytime I get something semi-fun going in hammer the ♥♥♥♥ing program has an error and won't compile it.

nice, real nice. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ forums have blocked out my link.

for those that aren't aware the word that's blocked is - F/U/C/K/I/N/G~+

Prntscrn = http://www.burn-blue.com/image/view/3sTU4f1X/ffs♥♥♥♥inghammer.jpg

I've clicked select all and changed it to the brick texture, still nothing doing.

tkellaway
07-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Did you use a func_brush entity around the map named structure_seal
Did you use the toolsnolight texture on that entity
Is everything inside the func_brush entity

I was going to try use the assault jets but they never worked right in this map. You don't get enough time using them in the official maps, should be fun in custom ones :D

Also, I got a second texture to show up:
http://i25.tinypic.com/33c945d.jpg

*celebrates* Two down, three to go. Does anyone know any good places to upload the finished VPK when its done?

Edit: Everything seems to be working. I'll try and test it on another machine before I upload it here.

BugBusterAnon
07-30-2010, 12:31 PM
filefactory.com

Wonderful file hosting. Just superb.:D

BugBusterAnon
08-01-2010, 02:25 AM
B-to-the-U-to-the-M-to-the-P!

B-U-M-P!

tkellaway
08-02-2010, 02:56 AM
Strange error. It's telling me it can't find 'verviewbriefing' after I install the VPK, even though it should be looking for 'cubeoverviewbriefing'. Should I tell it to look for cubeocubeoverviewbriefing!?

http://i30.tinypic.com/x7nrl.png

Edit: Fixed. I'll still be testing it on another machine again before I put it up here.

tkellaway
08-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks :D I tested it again and I think it works. I'll post a new thread so I can make a download link to it. Then I should be able to edit the top post to save time.

I'll detail all the known issues in the new thread but unless something very broken or exploitable pops up I won't be updating it a lot.

tkellaway
08-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Only one map I'm afraid. It's kind of gimmicky with a bunch of dying unsuspectingly. I'll gladly hand it off to anyone that wants to extend it into a full campaign, but I had enough after one map xD

Edit: New Thread - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388082

juicebox360
08-02-2010, 10:36 PM
...Via this input : Alpha (won't work unless the render mode is set to texture)...

Odd. I always thought the render mode had to be "Solid".

Well, as the saying goes, you learn something new every day!