PDA

View Full Version : lol @ mafia 2 price rise!!

AussieSausage
07-22-2010, 10:29 AM
well, i said to my mate last night, i should pre purchase mafia 2 now while its $50, cause gaurenteed its gonna get a boost for us aussies

look at it

$80 USD ( nearly $90 AUD ), HAHAHAHAHA

what a joke

deluxe is $90 USD, $100 AUD

us aussies get ♥♥♥♥♥ again

HylianTheBlade
07-22-2010, 10:33 AM
aussies get their price jacked up again... huge surprise definetly needed another thread.

AussieSausage
07-22-2010, 10:36 AM
aussies get their price jacked up again... huge surprise definetly needed another thread.

defently mate, it allways needs a thread

it never gets old, trust me:D

Trashcantoy
07-22-2010, 11:04 AM
why do the publishers hate Aussies? i feel sorry for you :(

born2expire
07-22-2010, 11:15 AM
why do the publishers hate Aussies? i feel sorry for you :(

tax for having some the best beaches and hottest women in the world?

Mrshilka
07-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Yeah they can stuff these prices I wish I had more time to order it befoe going to work.

I can get the retail collectors edition cheaper then steams normal edition.

if you guys want to make digital dis take over from old brick and morter make it one price world wide a god damn joke your charging what is it 3 to 40 bucks more for the same digital service.

Ujaye
07-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Well as far as I am concerned, this title can sit on the backburner until it's price is reasonable through a Steam sale. I am positive the wait won't kill me. Just fed up with being ripped by Steam

scottyboy74
07-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Dam knew i should have got this yesterday, want to work last night at 10 its $50 come back this morning its up to $80, gotta be joking at that price will be cheaper retail.

Will just get it off the UK site now only $52

Flying_Slig
07-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Thats a pretty large price increase :mad:
I am so happy i grabbed it yesterday, nearly didn't

EclipsE
07-22-2010, 08:33 PM
And this is why people pirate games.

Oh well, I'll be grabbing it in a few years when it's on sale for 10 bucks.

That's if they even keep it on the australian store for that long. Hurr durr region locking.

fuggly_bob
07-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Hello,

http://www.cdwow.com.au/games/mafia-ii-pc/dp/4759443#bc=be75

$44.95AUS with postage free. Comes from China so will take about 10 days to get here.

Also can be activated via steam

Cheers

<red22>
07-22-2010, 09:18 PM
anyone know if in australia we can get it gifted from the states? did it with blur plays fine. is mafia region locked?

fuggly_bob
07-22-2010, 09:28 PM
anyone know if in australia we can get it gifted from the states? did it with blur plays fine. is mafia region locked?

You definitely can get it gifted from the states:)

juggalopimp11
07-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Preordered before the price hike. Would have just pirated it or not played it at all if it was $80USD.
It is easy enough to still purchase stuff from the US steam store though.

The publishers need to learn they are gimping their own sales with the price fixing. Stop trying to keep retailers happy, ♥♥♥♥ them, if they want to survive they have to drop prices to stay competitive not the other way around.

How dumb is it price fixing during a preorder phase anyway?

Edit: Oh and ♥♥♥♥ you 2K

PetusGeekus
07-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Stupid is as stupid does.

Why would I buy this for US$80 or US$90 for a digital distribution when I can get it cheaper in store or via mail order?

Scratch one Steam sale and I'm sure I'm not the only one :)

gmcclelland_90
07-22-2010, 09:42 PM
I'll most likely be getting mine from the US steam store then.

Lavec
07-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Stupid is as stupid does.

Why would I buy this for US$80 or US$90 for a digital distribution when I can get it cheaper in store or via mail order?

Scratch one Steam sale and I'm sure I'm not the only one :)

Agreed.

Locally it can be bought for $79 Australian dollars ($70 USD) and that includes tax so it would be like $64 USD on Steam.
http://www.game.com.au/mafia-ii/pc-games/MAF2PC
http://www.game.com.au/mafia-2-collectors-edition/pc-games/MAF2CEPC
I usually doesn't take long for major retailers to be less than that too especially on release.

As a user pointed out above it can be imported for about $45 Australian or $40 USD if you are happy to wait a few days for it to arrive.

How does Steam justify $80 USD beats me. I'd guess that 2K Games are simply using Steam to justiy local pricing (or even EB Games inflated pricing). Steam should stand up for itself and stamp this practice out. It should have global pricing unless it wants to remain an indy games and/or game sales distributor only, at least for Australian customers.

What's more is a Steam sale is a one off sale, no re-sale. When EB Games sells a game they sell it five times over as a used game. 2K Games would get a lot more money selling games on Steam even if priced cheaper.

Scared
07-22-2010, 10:02 PM
As soon as the game was up I knew this was going to happen, it was only a matter of time.

2K makes the great decision to drop GFWL but then they continue to screw us with an artificially inflated price.

vivasawadee
07-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Playasia here I come........:p

slayerking
07-22-2010, 10:32 PM
No steam doesn't price fix, what a joke.

yogibbear
07-23-2010, 12:01 AM
LOL. I even posted on the 2k forums how happy i was that they stopped screwing us over and pre-ordered the game @ $50 then log in today to see it is now up at $80 again.... what a complete BS operation. Every single 2k game....

I got in at the correct price. Now it's just ♥♥♥♥♥♥ us up the ♥♥♥.

agent47
07-23-2010, 12:10 AM
when i saw this for 50 dollars at first i thought that juuust maybe they had realised that it wasn't right or fair to raise prices because of where somebody lived BUT apparentley not.
glad i pre-ordered early ...

Mr Smiles
07-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Ditto, so glad i decided to grab this yesterday. This is a total load of BS, its also jacked up in European regions, fluff you 2K. At least there's always other options to buy a game for a good price, either get it from the UK, get it from asia, or get a friend to gift it. I mean who actually had bought one of these games with this kind of price tag?

juggalopimp11
07-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Well modern warfare 2 is consistantly in the top sellers list, so someone doesn't mind paying out the ♥♥♥♥ for this stuff (fools)

upr1z3
07-23-2010, 12:42 AM
LOL I jumped on these forums to see if anyone else noticed the price icnrease too or if I was imagining things. Im sure it was $49.99 last night and now its $79.99, what a RIP OFF

nutcrackr
07-23-2010, 01:21 AM
2K Games so we all knew a price rise was coming for Australia. Actually I was a little surprised it started off at $50 USD. I was then even more surprised how quickly it changed. Thinking it might be another Boredlands and only raise the price after release.

Guess the retail chains have 2K Australia on speed dial now and got it sorted quick.

Advice is clear if you see a game produced by 2K games on steam for a reasonable price buy it quickly before it changes. I'm glad I got the game last night for $50 USD.

I saw it today and laughed for a few minutes. Sad fact is retail chains are dying off, whether they keep the 80USD price tag will be up to 2K Games.

the_mitch28
07-23-2010, 01:58 AM
so glad i bought it yesterday for $50usd, knew it would happen sooner or later but didn't know it would be the next day!

OzLefty76
07-23-2010, 02:15 AM
Unbelievable. No sale. I'm just boycotting every publisher who treats us with such contempt. $50-$80? Get stuffed.

Plenty of games out there, no hurry.

R0TTENCAT
07-23-2010, 03:01 AM
Now you have a similar price as in Europe complained about European price here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16203342&postcount=10) $76,5.

Ikuto666
07-23-2010, 03:24 AM
Oh well so Australians won't buy the game, Meh there problem not ours.

Suhov
07-23-2010, 03:31 AM
why do the publishers hate Aussies?
Because they got all of Australium in the world.

treb
07-23-2010, 04:12 AM
y'all know the drill...

1.Aussies get price gouged
2.Aussies get pissed off at price gouging :o
3.Aussies say ♥♥♥♥ it, and buy from cdwow or some other place with cheap pc games, with PHYSICAL copies half the price of a ♥♥♥♥ing digital one!... pathetic :D

2K FAILS, i thought some one would have the intelligence to realise that most will be turned off by the pricing and shop elsewhere :p

Ikuto666
07-23-2010, 04:19 AM
Ours as in who? This is an international forum, moron.

I meant 'Ours' As in Australians, As the sentence was directed towards Australians, Please learn to read.

Forrest GIMP
07-23-2010, 04:24 AM
When will these toss-pot's learn that they will make more revenue at $50US than they will at $80?

Here's a tip ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s: When you price your games at such overblown amounts such as this, people will just move on to the next game and wait for the next big steam sale when they are sure to get it at 1/4 of the cost. Price it at $50 and it makes things much, much harder.

Mr Smiles
07-23-2010, 04:25 AM
I meant 'Ours' As in Australians, As the sentence was directed towards Australians, Please learn to read.

Wait so: Oh well so Australians won't buy the game, Meh there problem not ours.

Should have been read as: 'Oh well so Australians won't buy the game, Meh their problem not Australians' :confused:

Kerrby
07-23-2010, 04:32 AM
Haha, ♥♥♥♥ you 2K. You aint getting my money.

DarkMellie
07-23-2010, 05:12 AM
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ it Steam and Publishers on Steam. No way is it worth it to buy digitally at that price... for $10 more I can get it at retail.

I am very comfortable with a digital copy but I'm not going to encourage price-gouging like this... getting ♥♥♥♥♥ at retail is an expectation, on Steam it's just wrong.

Lavec
07-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Wait so:

Should have been read as: 'Oh well so Australians won't buy the game, Meh their problem not Australians' :confused:

Chill. I think it was just a bit lost in translation ;)

I think he simply meant it's Steam's and 2K's loss not ours, the Australians, as we can simply buy the game elsewhere.

maddict
07-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Just get someone from another region to buy it for you mate!

SoulsCollective
07-23-2010, 09:17 AM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU WHY DID I NOT BUY THIS YESTERDAY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Screw you and your bull♥♥♥♥ pricing policies, 2k. You've just lost yourself a sale. Even though I could get it cheaper through other means, I will now not give you any money for this game due to your pricing policies.

R0TTENCAT
07-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Someone please make a youtube video how Hitler learns that price for Australians has been raised.

martymaximus
07-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Yep that price rise is absolute ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥..2k should be bloody well embarrassed..anyhoo just wait till Steam have this years Xmas sale and we'll probably get Mafia 1 and 2 for about 20-30 bucks.;)

Kerrby
07-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Yep that price rise is absolute ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥..2k should be bloody well embarrassed..anyhoo just wait till Steam have this years Xmas sale and we'll probably get Mafia 1 and 2 for about 20-30 bucks.;)

Yeah while the rest of the world gets it for $10.

Mr Smiles
07-24-2010, 12:43 AM
Chill. I think it was just a bit lost in translation ;)

I think he simply meant it's Steam's and 2K's loss not ours, the Australians, as we can simply buy the game elsewhere.

Ah right i see, dont worry i wasnt getting annoyed, just a little confused :cool: Thanks for that

zehoo
07-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Isn't globalization great, I'll be importing my copy from HK :p:p:p:p:p.

If this keeps up, steam will no longer be a relevant place to buy games from 3rd party publishers. It clearly highlights how much the European and Australian markets have been price gouged over the years.

ImBack87
07-24-2010, 01:57 AM
So the retail price in Australia is justified by shipping costs I take it? What about DD then? They jack up the price to keep the retailers happy?

zehoo
07-24-2010, 02:00 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartel

Kibblesman
07-24-2010, 11:08 AM

LOL.

Hope the game is worth the extra price for you guys.

DrFirepants
07-24-2010, 02:15 PM

I thought the large spiders that eat birds would counter that enough.

SoulsCollective
07-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Man...forget the spiders. We've got the drop bears to contend with. You don't want to meet one of those out in the bush on a dark night.

Nelsonator63
07-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Well...I was gonna preorder it. Guess Ill wait for a sale now. Sometimes it sucks to be an Aussie. Not often though :P

PetusGeekus
07-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Just ordered the CE brushed metal box edition from PlayAsia. Same price as Steam advertised originally but I get nifty extras I don't get with digital distribution.

Tip for Steam/Valve. If you're going to allow other distributors and developers, to use your digital distribution network, then perhaps you should lock them into fixed pricing for 28 days? That way they can start taking corporate responsibility and ensure they release titles at the correct price first time around.

hurleyboy
07-25-2010, 03:07 AM
Just ordered the CE brushed metal box edition from PlayAsia. Same price as Steam advertised originally but I get nifty extras I don't get with digital distribution.

Tip for Steam/Valve. If you're going to allow other distributors and developers, to use your digital distribution network, then perhaps you should lock them into fixed pricing for 28 days? That way they can start taking corporate responsibility and ensure they release titles at the correct price first time around.

what are you talking about thats not the way it goes you say to them that one you put that first price up we dont care what you do you cannot increase the price from that point on

pherone
07-25-2010, 10:38 PM
LOL I jumped on these forums to see if anyone else noticed the price icnrease too or if I was imagining things. Im sure it was $49.99 last night and now its $79.99, what a RIP OFF

Bahaha, i purchased for $49 US.
WTF happened to the price?

cobretti1818
07-26-2010, 01:06 AM
Keep it in your pants people - your wallet that is.
Don't buy at these rediculous prices.

Lavec
07-26-2010, 01:20 AM

It could have been a Steam stuff up rather than distributor. But I still think Steam shouldn't allow publishers to use Steam to justify local boxed prices, it undermines the Steam brand.

fixedr6
07-26-2010, 01:28 AM
Purchased from CDWow for under $45 AUD delivered. Well done 2k, we're sending our money overseas instead of paying your extortionate prices. That'll protect jobs.

Edit. Just checked and CDWow is now $93.95 AUD. LOL.

Oh 2k you bunch of stupid bastards, you're going to ensure the only Australians who play your games are the pirates. LOL.

SayaSe
07-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Mispost.

Kerrby
07-28-2010, 04:12 AM
Purchased from CDWow for under $45 AUD delivered. Well done 2k, we're sending our money overseas instead of paying your extortionate prices. That'll protect jobs.

Edit. Just checked and CDWow is now $93.95 AUD. LOL.

Oh 2k you bunch of stupid bastards, you're going to ensure the only Australians who play your games are the pirates. LOL.
http://www.cdwow.com.au/games/mafia-ii-pc/dp/4759443/9838965#bc=1a6b

It's still $44.

vivasawadee
07-28-2010, 07:34 AM
My recommendation is not to buy from CD Wow but from Playasia instead. It is pretty much the same price for the Asian edition. Previous experiences with CD Wow have not been good from a personal experience. Several times they have failed to deliver games and have not notified me. Another time a game (Runaway 2) turned up 6 months later!

Ghostintheshell
08-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Seems they have 2 prices. 1 for direct import from HK and 1 thats a normal retail copy like other stores get. Im going to get the cheap one from HK. I hope CDWOW is ok but then again I won't pay steams price.

Bjoern
08-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Clearly the solution is to have Australia adopt the American dollar. :P

cobretti1818
08-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Clearly the solution is to have Australia adopt the American dollar. :P

lol - we pay in American Dollars on steam and it is still an extra $20 :eek: