PDA

View Full Version : retail cd keys registration?

iffer
07-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Any chance we can add our retail cd keys to steam for management?
I've got the deluxe version here on the shelf - would be great to add it to my steam library (without fully re-buying it again)
Jen

weesteev
07-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Seconded! Although if this appears in the Steam sale for 2 before then, I will probably buy it again! Im a sucker for those deals.

Freemon
07-23-2010, 02:05 PM
I love this idea! My second Simcity cd stopped working a long time ago so i had to get a backup from a diferent source, If i could just register my key and download it from steam, it would be amazing.

riddler2k84
07-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Any chance we can add our retail cd keys to steam for management?
I've got the deluxe version here on the shelf - would be great to add it to my steam library (without fully re-buying it again)
Jen

This would be great, I was wondering this myself.

ranbir
07-24-2010, 03:10 PM
You should be able to register the keys with EAStore/Downloader.

Darksporks
07-24-2010, 07:17 PM
You should be able to register the keys with EAStore/Downloader.
But EA Downloader sucks.

Cohan
07-25-2010, 04:38 AM
I've got SimCity 4 and Rush Hour as separate CDs. I would really like to be able to enter both those serials to get the deluxe edition here on Steam.

banzaimonkey
07-25-2010, 02:07 PM
But EA Downloader sucks.

Word.

Straite
07-28-2010, 04:56 PM
And people who buy on steam should also get a cd key!

Tanooki
07-30-2010, 01:13 PM
was wondering the same thing

ADAMANT EVE!
08-02-2010, 10:58 PM
I completely agree with this. Has anything like this ever happened before?

banzaimonkey
08-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Has anything like this ever happened before?

Yes, this happened once (that I remember) in the case of Unreal Tournament 3, when it was released on Steam as Unreal Tournament Black. Multiplayer is central to UT3, and I believe that was the primary impetus for migrating to Steam, and also the only reason why the retail keys could be added. (The release of UT3 on Steam also coincided with several months of free weekends and promo pricing, which again, I believe was to promote multiplayer on the new platform.)

My understanding of the way Steam works is that the publisher (EA in this case) has to pay a fee as games are downloaded, to cover costs of the service (bandwidth, servers, etc.). Likely, Epic felt that the costs of the retail key deal were worth it to preserve the multiplayer population for their title. SimCity 4 has no such incentive for EA, so I think the chances of this happening are unfortunately slim. In any case, this is all highly conjectural. I may be completely wrong.

OOZ662
08-03-2010, 04:00 PM
I've got SimCity 4 and Rush Hour as separate CDs. I would really like to be able to enter both those serials to get the deluxe edition here on Steam.

This. A pipedream, yes, but still.

Siguy
08-04-2010, 11:05 AM
I really don't see how this would work. CD keys aren't very secure... I lost my original key years ago and was able to simply look up someone else' key online, and have it install fine.

iffer
08-04-2010, 04:46 PM
well - that would work once (for the person fastest to register the key posted online) After that, everyone else trying to register that key would find it was already taken. Possibly even the person who posted their key to the net.
One key, one game registration on steam...

Easy - and Steam already does it for other games.

Evadman
08-04-2010, 09:32 PM
It would be really cool if we could do this. I have all the media on disk, but having everything in one place (steam) would definitely make me happy, and use steam more. I was able to do it with some of my other games like Prey and race07. Some games (like Civ 4) I just bought again. I think I gave Steam enough money for the duplicate games already though :)

dieffenbachj
08-05-2010, 12:23 PM
The problem is that EA likes money.

Even if only one game in 100 is willing to buy the game twice just to get a digital copy, they've made a profit. If they allowed that one gamer to simply register a game... no money.

This is why you'll never be able to register Spore, SimCity, The Sims or anything else on Steam. It's not that Steam doesn't support registering CD keys--other companies have worked out deals where people can register their game with Steam, notably Unreal 3--it's just that EA doesn't want to lose the money.

Plus, as people mentioned, there would be a lot of chaos and stolen CD keys if this were possible--and EA doesn't want to have to pay people for tech support, either.

mschol
08-07-2010, 10:30 AM
The problem is that EA likes money.

Even if only one game in 100 is willing to buy the game twice just to get a digital copy, they've made a profit. If they allowed that one gamer to simply register a game... no money.

This is why you'll never be able to register Spore, SimCity, The Sims or anything else on Steam. It's not that Steam doesn't support registering CD keys--other companies have worked out deals where people can register their game with Steam, notably Unreal 3--it's just that EA doesn't want to lose the money.

Plus, as people mentioned, there would be a lot of chaos and stolen CD keys if this were possible--and EA doesn't want to have to pay people for tech support, either.
it isn't much of a deal to blacklist illegal key's

hollykryten
12-29-2010, 05:32 AM
I really don't see how this would work. CD keys aren't very secure... I lost my original key years ago and was able to simply look up someone else' key online, and have it install fine.

Do you realise that registering a published cd key on the net (pirated) can get your steam account banned?. That's a risky thing to do.

EricJD
12-29-2010, 02:38 PM
I caved and bought it a second time on Steam :P

TilaTequit
12-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Do you realise that registering a published cd key on the net (pirated) can get your steam account banned?. That's a risky thing to do.

I dont think he was saying he redeemed the key on steam.

I did the exact same thing when I lost my key for The Sims: House Party. I called EA and they wanted me to fax them pictures of the CD case and such, I did what they told me to do and it was like 2 weeks before they emailed me a new key. By then, Im simply googled and found someone who posted it on a forum.