PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Sounds

fury_161
07-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Why am I having so much trouble replacing sounds? If I do anything except paste over the audio in a sound editing program and save, the sounds totally freak out and don't work properly. And even as they are now, if the sound runs longer than the original, it gets cut off. If it's shorter than the original, it makes horrible screeching noises until the original sound is supposed to end.

Does anyone know how I can get around this? I'm trying to replace all the dialog with Space Marine lines, but it's not working out so well.

fury_161
07-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Anyone? Maybe someone from the DEV team? I would really like to know! I went through a few thousand Space Marine lines for nothing?

zoli700
07-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Try this:

Open your sound with the sound editing software
Copy it
Open one of the original sounds
Paste your sound over it
Save

Worked for me with audacity before

truecrisis
07-25-2010, 10:20 AM
even if no one can help you it doesnt mean you did it for nothing, it just means you may be playing with something no one has touched yet.

"boldly go where no man has gone before"

anyway, maybe you can post screenies of what you are doing, and give more explanation so that someone can help you look into it. im sure you arent the only one who will want to replace sounds.

YoungScripter
07-25-2010, 10:22 AM
zoli700, I think he's doing that.

Truecrisis, screenshots for a sound related problem? :p

fury_161, the sourcecode of Alien Swarm probably sets a fixed length to the sounds. So you'll have to change that.

Don't take it from me though, I'm not sure.

zoli700
07-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Okay, I tested it myself, and I have problems too. Strange, never had anything like this with other source engine games.

fury_161
07-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Try this:

Open your sound with the sound editing software
Copy it
Open one of the original sounds
Paste your sound over it
Save

Worked for me with audacity before

Yeah I did that the first time, then I tried with different formats of WAV. If you don't paste it over in the sound editor and save it, it's even worse! Damnation!