PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Undead // Apply NOW

Lockstock
07-25-2010, 08:05 AM
What is the mod about:
Zombies. Flesh hungry, moaning, smelly zombies.
Rise of the Undead will be a total conversion for Alien Swarm including new maps, weapons, game modes and of course loads of zombies.

What has been done so far?
See this (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16281363&postcount=2) post for all concept art so far.

Why should I play this mod instead of buying Left 4 Dead or downloading another mod?
1) It's totaly free. The current price for Left 4 Dead 2 at amazon.com is about 30 Dollars.
2) You can decide how this mod is going to look like. Join the team so we can create this mod together in our very own way.
3) We want slow zombies. Running zombies are fun for a while but they will never be as good as the old tumbling zombies.
4) Why Rise of the Undead and not another mod? Because we have a team of passionate gamers. We want this mod. We want it finished and we will finish it. We will develop the mod step by step (see roadmap).

What are the features for the mod?

New campaign. A whole new story from the beginning to the end of the outbreak.
New weapons. There is nothing better than blasting a zombies head of with a shotgun.
New maps. Slay zombies in diffrent envoirnments such as citys, farms and buildings.
New game modes. Survive as long as you can against the hordes of evil. Complete a course as fast as you can.

Sounds great! But how can I be sure that this mod won't die?

We will take little steps and grow with the mod.
If you take a look at the roadmap below you will see that we wills start off small with only visual/audio changes and end up big with a complete new campaign and new game modes.

How can I help?
We are lookimg for people specalized in these areas:

Concept artist
Requierments:

- reliable, constant work
- can do quick sketches (in one week)
- can draw organic as well as static objects

3D Artist
Requierments:

- reliable
- solid work, no beginners
- experience with the source engine

We are always glad for some beta testers and voice actors.

If you want to apply, send me a PM or an email to Maximator@hotmail.de

The Team:
"Afinda" Andreas Biester - SDK/Source expert
Will_save (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/member.php?u=699832) - Sound engineer

The Plan:
Take a look at the roadmap below to see what our plans are.
1) Getting together
- Assemble team
- Get to know each other
- Build up network (e.g. email list, development forum, website, community forum)
- Finding Studio and mod name

2) First zombie
- Zombie concept art
- Model
- Animation
- Texture
- Sound
- Importing into AS

3) Visual/audio exchanges
- More / different zombie models (concept, model, texture etc.)
- Player models (concept, model, animate, texture, voice, text)
- Weapons (s.a.)
- Visual effects (e.g. blood, flashlight?)

4) Custom campaign
- Story development (characters, locations, events)
- Environment models (e.g. buildings, static models)
- Textures
- Sounds
- Scripts
- Visual effects (e.g. burning car)

5) Map packs
- Different game modes (e.g. survival, speedrun, deathmatch?)
- New maps and environments
- New zombies?

Lockstock
07-25-2010, 08:36 AM
CONCEPT ART

zombie1:
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6536/unbenannt1wk.jpg
zombie2:
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1150/zombie1.jpg
top-down city:
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/426/zombieapocalypseflorode.jpg

DESIGN DOCUMENT

Design Document
Rise of the Undead
Draft 1

Rise of the Undead is a to-down-zombie-shooter set in modern times combining a realistic approach on the setting with fun gameplay.

GAMEPLAY
Goal:

The main goal is to get all survivors alive to the end of the level, while clearing various objectives. The game is lost, if one member of the team is killed.

Weapons:

Shotgun (Jon)
- slow reload
- Great man-stopping-power
- Little chance to get instant headshot-kill
- heavy

Pistol (Judy)
- light
- fast reload
- high rate of fire
- little man-stopping-power
- more accurate than the shotgun but less than the rifle

Rifle (Alex)
- accurate
- acceptable man-stopping-power
- low rate of fire
- slow reload

Items:

Axe (Jon)
- Melee weapon
- Can destroy obstacles

Injection (Judy)
- can heal

Ammunition (Alex)
- provides fresh ammunition

CHARACTERS

Jonathan Trump

Jonathan, or just Jon, is a grumpy Ex-Fireman. He was a simple man. Good food, a beer in his hand and TV in front of him made his day. If things get serious he turns into a reliable and fearsome comrade. He is about 185cm high, has a beer belly and is 55 years old. Before the infection, he was an unhurried and loving man. His wife and two kids were one of the first to get infected. It happened, when he was on duty, trying to rescue two drunken guys out of a burning house. When he go home his family was gone, infected or dead – and worlds end waited for him. After this he became more and more introvert and cut all bonds to the perishing civilization – Only Judy can get him to laugh and talk. She was trapped in her hospital by a horde of zombies when he first met her. After he shot all zombies to pieces and talked to Judy he agreed to search for help and safety together. Soon he began to see Judy as a replacement for his dead daughter. He would give his life for her. Jon doesn’t agree to Alex’s and Judy’s relationship and thinks Alex just wants to play a game with her.

Judy Mitchell

Judy is 21 years old and about 172cm high. She used to be a nurse in the city’s main hospital. She was one of the last to leave the hospital and tried to help the wounded. When the hospital was overrun, she barricaded herself with an infected patient in an O.R. and fought against the zombies with operation-blades. Soon the patient turned and attacked her. Jonathan came not a second to soon and saved her life. She has an optimistic attitude and always tries to see the good in people. When she meets Alex she falls in love with him, only to be confused by his moods, changing from strong affection to completely sealing himself of her.

Alex Craven

Alex is a British soldier, about 190cm high and is 22 years old. He has short hair and a three-day beard. After being raised by his very strict and traditional family, he decided to join the army when he was 19. When the infection slips out of government control, he is recruited for disaster control. Just the day he leaves home he has to confront the chaos in the streets. After he fights his way to the police station he meets Jon and Judy – and instantly falls in love with Judy. But after he realizes the degree of the infection he does not want to get in a relationship with literally no future. Nonetheless he is not able to keep himself away from Judy and is confused by his strong feelings for her.

PICKUPS

Flares

STORY MODE

Background story

When the undead-virus strikes the world, three people are bound together to survive:
Alex, a passionate soldier, Judy, a young and beautiful nurse and Jonathan, a grumpy but loving ex-fireman. The story starts with Alex, who has to conquer chaos when he steps out of his apartment. The world is on fire- the dead have returned. An unknown virus infected the population and turned them into brain-hungry monsters. The infection is spread by the exchange of fluids – bites, open wounds and blood. Alex can escape the zombies for the moment and flees to the nearest police station. He meets his future companions – Judy and Jonathan. To the reluctance of Jon, who sees Judy as a daughter, Alex and Judy fall in love. Nevertheless, the apocalypse is still out in the city and Alex has to know what happened to his parents. They fight their way through the suburbs only to find them dead. Alex gets bitten and has to be brought to an hospital.

Tutorial (Singleplayer):

Setting: Alex’s home and the city. Afternoon.
Goal: Find the police station.
Side goals:
Find your weapon and pick it up.
Find ammunition.
Story: Alex packs his stuff for his trip to the barracks. When he leaves home, he encounters pure chaos. Civilians are fighting against zombies in the street, with everything they’ve got. Alex doesn’t know what’s going on and decides to head to the local police station. On his way he rescues civilians or leaves them to their fate. When he finally reaches the police station, he must force the fact, that the officials have either left the station or are turned into zombies. Only two other survivors try to make their way to the chaos too. He talks to the fat man and the young woman and finds out that their names are Jonathan and Judy. They don’t know what’s going on either. Judy’s relatives live in America and Jon’s are already dead, but Alex wants to find his parents in the city and make sure they are okay. They decide to head to their house in the suburb.

1. Mission:

Setting: The main city and the suburbs. Late afternoon.
Goal: Find out what has happened to Alex’s parents.
Story: The survivors leave the police station and make their way through the city and suburbs. Civilians are getting less common as against with zombies who now appear in hordes. The sun begins to set so that the survivors have to find some flashlights. After they broke in an electronic store, they continue their journey. They soon find the parents resident and have to fight against even bigger hordes of zombies. Finally they enter the house. Alex’s parents lie dead on the ground – Suicide with medications.

2. Mission:

Setting: Suburbs and hospital. Nightfall.
Goal: Get Alex to a hospital.
Story: Heavily wounded, Alex cannot walk to the hospital on his own. He has to be carried by one of his teammates. While he can still shoot while he is carried the one carrying him can’t do anything but walk. Because of Alex’s wound the survivors have to still his bleeding by picking up first aid kits from houses, cars and stores. After making their way to the hospital, they vet the wound and get Alex back on his feet.

COMPETITIVE MODES

Survival

Goal:
Survive the longest
Short Info:
Survive as long as you can against waves of zombies.
Long Info:
This mode is endless. You and your teammates make a last stand. You are attacked from waves of zombies which get more and more each wave. An endless ammunition supply is provided at place hard to reach. If you run out of ammo, you have to take the risk and get out of the safe house to resupply.
Map design:
All maps a centered at the safe house of the survivors. There is no escape or exit in any way. Survivors can use alternate routes to get to the ammo-supply, but they have to take a risk either way.

Loot

Goal:
Reach the safe house with the most supplies.
Short Info:
Build fragile alliances with the other players or betray them to get the most supplies to the safe house.
Long Info:
Friendly Fire is on and an important part of the game. Players have to face hordes of zombies on the way to the safe house. En Route, they have to pick up supply-cases heavily guarded by zombies. If a player is killed he drops is supplies and therefore makes them available for the others. The main focus is to deliberate whether to kill other players (or get them killed by zombies) to get their supplies or to maintain the alliance to fight against zombies in order to pick up new supplies.
Map design:
Friendly Fire is not avaible in the first third of the map.
Maps can vary between wide and open or long and narrow and winding. They all have in common that the players are led to the safe house and that supply cases are hard to get to and heavily guarded.

RedReversed
07-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Hmm since your post isnt just an idea.You are saying you ARE gonna make this mod , so i guess good luck!I cant really do 3d modelling , texturing or animating but i guess i can do beta testing if u want :P

Lockstock
07-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Hmm since your post isnt just an idea.You are saying you ARE gonna make this mod , so i guess good luck!I cant really do 3d modelling , texturing or animating but i guess i can do beta testing if u want :P

We are getting the team together at the moment.
If you want to beta test send me a PM with your email.

YoungScripter
07-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I'll be glad to beta test. Check your PM.

Lockstock
07-25-2010, 09:22 AM
I'll be glad to beta test. Check your PM.

Your onboard!

How do you think about the name "Rise of the Undead"?

YoungScripter
07-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Sounds good ;)

RedReversed
07-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Your onboard!

How do you think about the name "Rise of the Undead"?

How about the name "Omnicide"

zoli700
07-25-2010, 09:40 AM
I think something shorter would be better, like the one above.

Lockstock
07-25-2010, 11:19 AM
How about the name "Omnicide"

I think something shorter would be better, like the one above.

Omnicide is quite cool but the has to give exact information what the game is about.

Mofog
07-25-2010, 11:24 AM
I'll totally create a rural freeroam map if you guys are also implementing some kind of RPG / Item System.
Do you have any plans on that?

Lockstock
07-25-2010, 11:29 AM
I'll totally create a rural freeroam map if you guys are also implementing some kind of RPG / Item System.
Do you have any plans on that?

A Weapon system is planned but nothing like leveling up.
We want to keep it realistic.

Mofog
07-25-2010, 11:38 AM
I ment something more like an inventory system, you know. Something that makes
it easier to manage items, because some objectives would require picking up things and so on...

RedReversed
07-25-2010, 11:49 AM
A freeroam map would be awesome actually lock , like u still ahve objectives , but u can just walk around the map or u can go complete the objectives

Raana
07-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Ooooohhh.. I want to be beta tester so bad.. I have 6 friends playing actively alien swarm and I think few wants to test.

Mofog
07-25-2010, 11:54 AM
A freeroam map would be awesome actually lock , like u still ahve objectives , but u can just walk around the map or u can go complete the objectives

Yeah thats what I had planed. With areas that show "Stay x more seconds in this area to start the mission "blabla"

Sorry to take this offtopic

RedReversed
07-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Hmm lock , u should consider that idea, its pretty cool and original

Lockstock
07-25-2010, 04:20 PM
Yeah thats what I had planed. With areas that show "Stay x more seconds in this area to start the mission "blabla"

Sorry to take this offtopic

This is a community project so it's good to talk about ideas.
And I think it would be good to make the maps not as linear as Alien Swarms. But totaly free roam maps are a bit enthusiastic because it requires more computer power and would be a lot lot lot more work.
But we will make the campaign maps more open.

FurryHunter
07-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Wait, THAT Thomas Evans? As in Detour?

MeMM00
07-25-2010, 05:34 PM
no additional weapons?

dra6o0n
07-25-2010, 07:14 PM
First off, i can give you a good advice and that is to start off doing alpha testing, but ONLY after you get a basic system down first.

First is replacing contents from alien swarm with zombie mod contents, and testing it in game. This is alpha testing.

Then, you tweak and modify your current system to work with more of what you or your community may want, adding or removing content. Still alpha testing.

Beta testing only appears once you get most of the basic and important contents that relates to your mod, with very little to no relation to alien swarm.

The reason why you start alpha? Not everyone tests to help out, some may think you have a "finished product" and go blabbing off to everyone that the "game sucks" and scare off the potential future of such mod.

Lockstock
07-26-2010, 03:50 AM
no additional weapons?
The mod will have new weapons like shotguns, rifles, MGs etc.:D

First off, i can give you a good advice and that is to start off doing alpha testing, but ONLY after you get a basic system down first.

First is replacing contents from alien swarm with zombie mod contents, and testing it in game. This is alpha testing.

Then, you tweak and modify your current system to work with more of what you or your community may want, adding or removing content. Still alpha testing.

Beta testing only appears once you get most of the basic and important contents that relates to your mod, with very little to no relation to alien swarm.

The reason why you start alpha? Not everyone tests to help out, some may think you have a "finished product" and go blabbing off to everyone that the "game sucks" and scare off the potential future of such mod.

Thank you for the information.
We will do alpha testing but we don't know yet with how many people. Since this is growing project (have a look at the roadmap) we'll provide constant updates.

Summarized we will have three major releases:

1) Total visual/audio replacement
2) Custom Campaign
3) Map pack

All with their own pre-alpha, alpha and beta testing.

zoli700
07-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Will there be zombie animals?
Or zombies with guns? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHDOu4EDQXw)

I really liked that hl1 mod, it had regular slow zombies, pistol using zombies, shotgun and 9mmar using zombies, dogs, cows, skeletons and stuff like that. It was fun as hell.

EDIT: They had zombie chickens too :P

Lockstock
07-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Will there be zombie animals?
Or zombies with guns? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHDOu4EDQXw)

I really liked that hl1 mod, it had regular slow zombies, pistol using zombies, shotgun and 9mmar using zombies, dogs, cows, skeletons and stuff like that. It was fun as hell.

EDIT: They had zombie chickens too :P
"Rise of the Undead" will contain only regular slow zombies and maybe special ones. What do you think? Special zombies or not?

themack934
07-26-2010, 10:18 AM
ill be happy to beta test your mod

themack934
07-26-2010, 10:21 AM
"Rise of the Undead" will contain only regular slow zombies and maybe special ones. What do you think? Special zombies or not?

having just slow zombies would get a tad boring. I suggest having special zombies or boss zombies too.

what kind of slow zombies are you planning on having? people in shaggy clothes?
http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/screens/61917?img=http://xray.fpsbanana.com/ss/srends/61917a.jpg

Lockstock
07-26-2010, 10:45 AM
having just slow zombies would get a tad boring. I suggest having special zombies or boss zombies too.

what kind of slow zombies are you planning on having? people in shaggy clothes?
http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/screens/61917?img=http://xray.fpsbanana.com/ss/srends/61917a.jpg

Like this:

Our Concept artist is working on a bigger, more detailed and coloured version.

Corrn
07-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Like this:

Our Concept artist is working on a bigger, more detailed and coloured version.

That thing looks like something that COULD run... you need a tad LESS decay... zombies aren't Skeletons, they're corpses, they usually have some flesh rotting all over and possibly some clothes from before they died. The Shaun of the dead zombies appear to be what I mean.

Anyways back to what I was saying. I'm up for some voice acting and maybe even work on the story aspect of the mod.

Oh and if you want to consider a different name... I've always been fond of something like "One Bullet Left"

RedReversed
07-26-2010, 11:02 AM
That thing looks like something that COULD run... you need a tad LESS decay... zombies aren't Skeletons, they're corpses, they usually have some flesh rotting all over and possibly some clothes from before they died. The Shaun of the dead zombies appear to be what I mean.

Anyways back to what I was saying. I'm up for some voice acting and maybe even work on the story aspect of the mod.

Oh and if you want to consider a different name... I've always been fond of something like "One Bullet Left"

He already said that the name has to describe the mod , as my name suggestion "Omnicide" was rejected

Corrn
07-26-2010, 11:03 AM
He already said that the name has to describe the mod , as my name suggestion "Omnicide" was rejected

In a zombie infested world, there are many times where someone is left with "One bullet left"... It's also known as the suicide bullet in critical situations.

Lockstock
07-26-2010, 11:12 AM

If you take a look at this (http://www.celluloid-dreams.de/content/images/kritiken-filmbilder/shaun-of-the-dead/shaun-of-the-dead-1.jpg) picture from shaun of the dead you can see that the zombies seem nearly human besides the eyes and behavior. In a top-down shooter zombies have to be easily recognized as such. Therefore they have to be quite rotten.

In a zombie infested world, there are many times where someone is left with "One bullet left"... It's also known as the suicide bullet in critical situations.

He's right - One bullet left is a good name but not a good title if you know what I mean. But we will take it into consideration if we give the game a subtitle.

NCrawler
07-26-2010, 11:34 AM
I would vote to keep slow zombies (no super bosses, etc.) and have limited ammo. That would seem more 'realistic' plus would make players have to think and act more tactically...

NC

Corrn
07-26-2010, 11:36 AM
I would vote to keep slow zombies (no super bosses, etc.) and have limited ammo. That would seem more 'realistic' plus would make players have to think and act more tactically...

NC

This.

themack934
07-26-2010, 12:13 PM
heres a list of names:
Zombie Swarm
Zombie awakening
Beneath the Surface
Bio-hazardous
City of rott
Dead people
Dug up
exhumed
Eaten alive
Zombie plague
Zombie bite

Guy
07-26-2010, 12:22 PM
heres a list of names:
Zombie Swarm
Zombie awakening
Beneath the Surface
Bio-hazardous
City of rott
Dead people
Dug up
exhumed
Eaten alive
Zombie plague
Zombie bite

Lol, I would love to have a zombie game named "Dead People":D

RedReversed
07-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Lol, I would love to have a zombie game named "Dead People":D

That would suit more for like a mafia mod or assasin mod :P

dra6o0n
07-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Follow suit with limited ammo in the lines of Resident Evil... But balance it out so ammo is plentiful if you are smart on conserving them and using the proper weapon types against the proper enemies...

Why waste 4 pistol ammo on each of the 3 zombies, when you can use 1 shotgun blast at close range to knock and kill most of em, then finish off with a weak weapon?

As for making the zombie slow, make them able to rush forward a few steps in a attempt to grab someone, because shambling zombies are known to be "walking tanks" against forces like police officers.

Azureum
07-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Or finish by melee, since thats unlimited.

dra6o0n
07-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Or finish by melee, since thats unlimited.

Maybe follow suit with the idea that zombies don't die unless you decapitate the head or destroy the brain...

This means you'll have to always be careful when fighting several one of them as a shotgun blast may rip them in half, and they may continue to crawl to you.

Azureum
07-26-2010, 12:57 PM
For crawling zombies the melee should be a head stomp instead.

Lockstock
07-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Good ideas!
See this http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1150/zombie1.jpg awesome sketch of a common zombie.
How do you like it?

RedReversed
07-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Good ideas!
See this http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1150/zombie1.jpg awesome sketch of a common zombie.
How do you like it?

Scares me.... I like it! :D

Grailist
07-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Hey... I really like this idea. If you need (free) help with a website, hit me up:
GrailWebDesign.com

dra6o0n
07-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Hmm, for the autolocking system, there could be 2 methods:

1) You can lock onto a target with your aim direction, with or without a weapon, but your weapons aren't locked onto it. It merely shows which target is being aimed upon, but not perfectly accurate in terms of shooting it's chest/head or arm/shoulders.

2) You pick up targets where you aim, but only shows multiple targets if your using a weapon that does area damage (shotgun). This lets you know how many targets will be hit with the shells.

Or

Use #1 for pistols and single target ballistics.

Use #2 for shotguns and multi-target weaponry (explosives).

Indicator could be the alien swarm red indicators, but for immersive purposes, the idea itself might not appear, unless you implement a option for servers to use this (to make it easier on new players?).

Can be a part of "Amateur Mode".

Regardless, some sort of targetting is needed so you'd know your gonna do a headstomp on that downed zombie, or if your aiming to build up a headshot on a standing one.

Mofog
07-27-2010, 03:51 AM
Definitely shamblers and a few "special" zombies... Not necessarily stronger but with different abilities.

zoli700
07-27-2010, 05:13 AM
Maybe...

Stronger, fat zombies
Zombies that vomit on you, and their vomit hurts you for a few seconds
Exploding zombies
Legless zombies that crawl on the ground

dra6o0n
07-27-2010, 09:31 AM
When you include weaponry that relates to the real world, try to give each one a unique perk that they excel at, not a lv2 pistol that makes the lv1 pistol obsolete.

Maybe include ammo types, because weapon upgrades don't work when your in a rush...

With inventory, all you do is swap the ammo out for a different one.
Like:
High powered ammunition - Boosts damage. Scarce.

But with ideas regarding upgrades, maybe to keep it simple, have weapon type upgrade kits?

Like each gun can have 1-2 kinds of upgrade kits, and is found throughout the map.

9mm Pistol:
- Barrel Upgrade kit. Increases accuracy and firepower of the pistol.
- Stock Upgrade kit. Increases the ammo capacity of the pistol, allows quicker reloading.
- Spring Upgrade kit. Increases firing speed of the pistol.

Maybe each gun can only be upgraded once, and can't be undone.

Lockstock
07-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Maybe...

Stronger, fat zombies
Zombies that vomit on you, and their vomit hurts you for a few seconds
Exploding zombies
Legless zombies that crawl on the ground
Vomiting Zombies - nay (too much L4D)
Exploding zombies - hmm maybe blood-exploding zombies
Legless zombies - Yay

When you include weaponry that relates to the real world, try to give each one a unique perk that they excel at, not a lv2 pistol that makes the lv1 pistol obsolete.

Maybe include ammo types, because weapon upgrades don't work when your in a rush...

With inventory, all you do is swap the ammo out for a different one.
Like:
High powered ammunition - Boosts damage. Scarce.

But with ideas regarding upgrades, maybe to keep it simple, have weapon type upgrade kits?

Like each gun can have 1-2 kinds of upgrade kits, and is found throughout the map.

9mm Pistol:
- Barrel Upgrade kit. Increases accuracy and firepower of the pistol.
- Stock Upgrade kit. Increases the ammo capacity of the pistol, allows quicker reloading.
- Spring Upgrade kit. Increases firing speed of the pistol.

Maybe each gun can only be upgraded once, and can't be undone.
Weapon upgrades are a good idea. We have to see how difficult I would be to implement this feature.

Guy
07-27-2010, 10:39 AM
what about a variety of melee weapons? with ranging speeds, damages, and sounds?

Reactors
07-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Isn't this a Call of Duty 4 mod? Rise of The Undead o.O

Tabarnaco
07-27-2010, 02:11 PM
1) Another Zombie mod? Zombies get old after a while.
2) I hope there aren't going to be ♥♥♥♥loads of typos and spelling errors the mod like in the first post.

Lockstock
07-27-2010, 02:31 PM
1) Another Zombie mod? Zombies get old after a while.
2) I hope there aren't going to be ♥♥♥♥loads of typos and spelling errors the mod like in the first post.

I'm sorry if I made some mistakes I am no native speaker:(

themack934
07-27-2010, 02:43 PM
"1) Another Zombie mod? Zombies get old after a while."

this is in the alien swarm sdk/mod section, so what do you expect?

TheBogStandardU
07-27-2010, 03:40 PM
i have an idea

if a teammate dies then they turn into a super zombie with twice the normal health after 15 seconds of dying.

If they died from firendly fire then they will go only for the person who killed them

spartic
07-28-2010, 04:54 AM
you need a mapper?

ArchoX
07-28-2010, 07:36 AM
What models u need? Only organic? Nothing for me right now, others i can handle i think.
Some questions:
1) What models u want? Low poly or low poly with normal, specular maps?
2) How u import them into a game?
3) What animation you will want?

Akamaz
07-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Use #1 for pistols and single target ballistics.

Use #2 for shotguns and multi-target weaponry (explosives).

Indicator could be the alien swarm red indicators, but for immersive purposes, the idea itself might not appear, unless you implement a option for servers to use this (to make it easier on new players?).

or since the red line is different for each weapon, why not have a "spread" crosshair for cone weapons?

Lockstock
07-28-2010, 08:33 AM
What models u need? Only organic? Nothing for me right now, others i can handle i think.
Some questions:
1) What models u want? Low poly or low poly with normal, specular maps?
2) How u import them into a game?
3) What animation you will want?

1) First only organic models like zombies and player-models
2) Our SDK/Source expert Afinda will import them.
3) Walking, attacking, dying

ArchoX
07-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Can u give me some side, front blueprint, so i can try ? Or i can found some alone. And u dont answer my low poly or low poly with normal, specular map question.

Lockstock
07-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Can u give me some side, front blueprint, so i can try ? Or i can found some alone. And u dont answer my low poly or low poly with normal, specular map question.

We are still looking for a 3D artist so we can't give you updates how the textures are supposed to look like.

@spartic:
Currently not.

@Akamaz:
Can you explain this idea? I don't understand it right.

ArchoX
07-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Man, do u know what is normal map ?
Low poly model is just low poly model.
But low poly with normal, specular map is, that u must do a high poly model and then bake from this high poly model a normal map. Then just add this normal texture to low poly model. So you have a low poly model with normal map = its look like high poly model but its low poly. :D

Lockstock
07-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Man, do u know what is normal map ?
Low poly model is just low poly model.
But low poly with normal, specular map is, that u must do a high poly model and then bake from this high poly model a normal map. Then just add this normal texture to low poly model. So you have a low poly model with normal map = its look like high poly model but its low poly. :D

I know what normal and specular maps are, what I don't know is how our models are going to look like (low/high poly).
So please be patient till we find our 3D artist.

Lockstock
07-28-2010, 03:22 PM
I just read an interesting idea:
AS has an colonist model which can be easily edit to a zombie model.
So anyone with basic modeling skills - You are more then welcome to join the team. Write me a PM.

dra6o0n
07-28-2010, 06:03 PM
So take the model, retexture their clothing, and make npcs out of them?

Maybe not just zombies, you need actual non-player characters to appear in the game, maybe to give missions or make things look interesting...

Alien swarms showed a cutscene at the first shield boss, so technically, you can have your team reach a certain point, trigger a cutscene, and you see survivors being torn apart!

Like civilians who gets killed RIGHT in front of you. In RE3, you can see a few of those things.

Have you ever considered mapping and adding some sort of "warped" areas where you can enter a building? The problem are the zombies, and whether they are capable of entering the building too.

BugBusterAnon
07-28-2010, 10:04 PM
This.

YES YES YES YES YES YES yEs!

I am totally with you! NORMAL ZOMBIES PLEASE! I hate how left 4 dead was ruined by the whole "SPECIAL INFECTED" thing. Sure it makes you watch out, but it detracts from the whole point of a "ZOMBIE" game. And if you have enough zombies, no one is going to care if they're slow or fast, sooner or later you're dead, son.

Takes real skill to stay alive then.

"When the ammo ran dry." - Ran out of ammo? You're screwed, son.
"Dry Ammo." - Alternate of above.
"Sluggish Stinkers." - We're slow and we smell, get used to it.
"Moaning Morgue Attendees." - Been there, done that.
"Undead Unanimous." - We're together Anonymously.
"Zombies came for dinner." - And they left without saying thank you.
"Ammo Conservist."
"Ugly Mother Zombies."
"Dead Walk."
"A Dead in the park." You can kind of guess. :p
"Medical Dead-Urgency." Hospital.
"Blood Transfusion." - Hospital theme.
"Hungry, Hungry, Humans." - Word play on Hungry Hungry Hippos.
"Animosity of flesh." - Graveyard and surrounding houses/church maybe.
"Bloody Mary." - Bar/nightclub based map?
"Undead, Redead, You're dead." - More of a tagline?

Just thought of chucking some random names at you guys, perhaps build on them for more? ;p

dra6o0n
07-28-2010, 10:39 PM
YES YES YES YES YES YES yEs!

I am totally with you! NORMAL ZOMBIES PLEASE! I hate how left 4 dead was ruined by the whole "SPECIAL INFECTED" thing. Sure it makes you watch out, but it detracts from the whole point of a "ZOMBIE" game. And if you have enough zombies, no one is going to care if they're slow or fast, sooner or later you're dead, son.

Takes real skill to stay alive then.

"When the ammo ran dry." - Ran out of ammo? You're screwed, son.
"Dry Ammo." - Alternate of above.
"Sluggish Stinkers." - We're slow and we smell, get used to it.
"Moaning Morgue Attendees." - Been there, done that.
"Undead Unanimous." - We're together Anonymously.
"Zombies came for dinner." - And they left without saying thank you.
"Ammo Conservist."
"Ugly Mother Zombies."
"Dead Walk."
"A Dead in the park." You can kind of guess. :p
"Medical Dead-Urgency." Hospital.
"Blood Transfusion." - Hospital theme.
"Hungry, Hungry, Humans." - Word play on Hungry Hungry Hippos.
"Animosity of flesh." - Graveyard and surrounding houses/church maybe.
"Bloody Mary." - Bar/nightclub based map?
"Undead, Redead, You're dead." - More of a tagline?

Just thought of chucking some random names at you guys, perhaps build on them for more? ;p

What? Achievement names?
Just have core achievements for main storyline completion and survival mode completion, and have bonus achievements for player skills and attempts.

50 Headshots = "Shoot em in the head!!"
50 Decapitation = "Lop till they drop!" (Melee blades)
50 Brains Smashed = "Hammer Time!" (Melee blunt) (Includes head stomp on fallen zombies)
Aggro 50 zombies into your screen = "Dinner is served!!" (specific radius, not just screen)
Aggro 150 zombies into your screen = "One-Two... Many"
Have enough zombies to block out your speakers with moaning = "Now where'd I left those earplugs?"
Kill a zombie by knocking it off of a high area = "Zombicide"
Kill a zombies using bare fists alone = "Man vs Undead"
Those kind of stuff.

BugBusterAnon
07-28-2010, 10:49 PM
I didn't intend them to be names for anything in particular, could be for campaigns like L4D or achievments, could be names for the addon.

It's just names to build ideas on. Rise of the Undead seems really un original. I rather liked "Medical Dead-Urgency." You could take part as a doctor who was at a badly infected hospital.

This is what script writers do when they want to come up with ideas, they just fire random things at each other until something good comes up. I can really see that hammer time joke coming into play if they impliment a sledgehammer weapon. Lol. But see, we've got a few already, if people keep adding more there will eventually be some really nice ones that the RotU Team can use for campaigns/maps.

zoli700
07-29-2010, 05:02 AM
This is bad... And I feel bad... (http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/6880/zombiekb.jpg)

I used a citizen model I found in one of the source sdk folders. I changed his head a bit and made a texture for the model. This looks bad as hell, but it worth a try.

themack934
07-29-2010, 09:48 AM
This is bad... And I feel bad... (http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/6880/zombiekb.jpg)

I used a citizen model I found in one of the source sdk folders. I changed his head a bit and made a texture for the model. This looks bad as hell, but it worth a try.

well its a start

jackmanlol
07-29-2010, 09:49 AM
yo, i can do some good level design, heres a map i put together for alien swarm - http://www.mediafire.com/?ik9v7bmno8a1a5m

BugBusterAnon
07-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Lol, going for a boomer look eh? How about texturing the neck bubbles? They just look thrown on.

I don't think that retexture is really good enough to use for this. I would hate to see something that bad as a zombie. It'd be like zombie master all over again. You should check out mac89's zombie retexture It's still not perfect but it looks well done.

Lockstock
07-29-2010, 11:49 AM
yo, i can do some good level design, heres a map i put together for alien swarm - http://www.mediafire.com/?ik9v7bmno8a1a5m

Seems good! Send me a PM with your email-adress.

BugBusterAnon
07-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Drop Dead Thread. Now it's Undead.

I'm Reviving - BUMP.

Lockstock
08-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Im waiting for some concept art from our artist.

BugBusterAnon
08-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Oh, really? Anything..Randy?

Did you just tell him to go and make some concept art or did you actually tell him to draw something? I would presume it's the afore mentioned option.

Kilarai
08-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Are they normal zombies or special zombies? If they're normal then you just need a couple of shirt/clothing designs you can grab from an online clothing store or look at some of the previous Zombie concept art and photos of movies or comics.

Here I'll get you started. =]

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2010/06/the-walking-dead-sketches-gallery.php

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/video?bcpid=86227333001&bclid=88963904001&bctid=167654562001

There's other videos in there as well, like the.. "Zombie School" =]

Lockstock
08-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Some Concept art showing the top-down view at a small city.

YoungScripter
08-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Some Concept art showing the top-down view at a small city.

That looks cool man!

SUCK ON THIS !
08-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Guys I see you post some concept arts etc.But can you edit the first post with all new content instead of searching all pages for it :D

Lockstock
08-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Guys I see you post some concept arts etc.But can you edit the first post with all new content instead of searching all pages for it :D

You can find all Concept art in the second post:cool:

Dvinuz
08-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Do you guys need someone who can make a Video promo ?
I would gladly beta test the map too ;-)

Lockstock
08-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Do you guys need someone who can make a Video promo ?
I would gladly beta test the map too ;-)

Sorry no video-editing need, but I'm glad to have you as a beta tester.
Send me a PM with your email adress please.

We need someone who can host us a website with a working forum.
Please send me a PM with your email-adress so I can contact you.

Wallross
08-03-2010, 01:33 PM
bbPress, perhaps?
I suggest using WordPress instead of an entire forum, because ATM you don't have a brilliant amount of followers. With WordPress, it is easy to show off progress, and it has comments.

Also, I think everyone would be willing to beta-test the maps!

BugBusterAnon
08-03-2010, 01:40 PM
To be quite honest. I'm more interested in the content than the maps. Hell, I'd be happy with a hollow func_detail, with a few zombie spawns and drops for testing weapons and zombies.

But Despite me always being online, I do get rather tired of the same autonomous activity repeatedly.

I know my expectations may be a bit high, but right now I'm thinking this will be an isometric, No More Room In Hell, to tide me over until NMRiH is released.

Lockstock
08-03-2010, 03:50 PM
bbPress, perhaps?
I suggest using WordPress instead of an entire forum, because ATM you don't have a brilliant amount of followers. With WordPress, it is easy to show off progress, and it has comments.

Also, I think everyone would be willing to beta-test the maps!

It's not for followers but for organisation of the team.

BugBusterAnon
08-03-2010, 04:06 PM
And with that kind of attitude Lockstock, people aren't going to want to help you.

Dvinuz
08-03-2010, 04:38 PM
And with that kind of attitude Lockstock, people aren't going to want to help you.

What do you mean with that ? He got a friendly attitude so I cant see why people wont help him ?

BugBusterAnon
08-03-2010, 05:43 PM
The way it was pronounced:

"It's not for followers but for organisation of the team."

It sounded like he was saying something similar to this:

"That's not for you to decide, but for the team to decide."

When the guy was just trying to offer him a decent alternative to a forum, which I agree with.

Least that's how I read it.

Although it's true that at the end of the day it is your guys mod, there as no need at all to dismiss this persons idea of using wordpress instead of php so quickly. It makes more than common sense for it to be done in wordpress - Somewhat like the FO3 Settler mod was done, but better.

Dvinuz
08-03-2010, 05:51 PM
The way it was pronounced:

"It's not for followers but for organisation of the team."

It sounded like he was saying something similar to this:

"That's not for you to decide, but for the team to decide."

When the guy was just trying to offer him a decent alternative to a forum, which I agree with.

Least that's how I read it.

Although it's true that at the end of the day it is your guys mod, there as no need at all to dismiss this persons idea of using wordpress instead of php so quickly. It makes more than common sense for it to be done in wordpress - Somewhat like the FO3 Settler mod was done, but better.
Joomla would be a just as easy option as Wordpress ;-)

BugBusterAnon
08-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Could never figure out Joomla.

Lockstock
08-04-2010, 04:26 AM
I'm sorry I didn't mean to be rude.
The community is the most important part of this project I want to include as much people as possible but (as Wallross said) we don't have to many followers cause we are only represented in different forums so a development-forum has priority over a wordpress blog which will follow eventually.
Again, sorry if it came out wrong.

BugBusterAnon
08-04-2010, 07:42 AM
No, it's my fault for misunderstanding you.

Sorry.

But I'm really looking forward to this and Zombie Swarm. Although zombie swarm doesn't seem to be doing so well as after a week all they've done is 5 models.

REALLY DISAPPOINTED. I don't honestly see it going very fast and as a result the first zombie mod to be released will probably have a bigger following as a result. I also think that Alien Swarm is dying because of lack of campaigns. I wish BCG would've released with more campaigns to keep people interested in the game while mods were being made. You can't expect everyone to just wait for a mod to be finished.

I'll be playing on Eternal Silence (almost dead game, only one populated server) until a modification for this comes out. Namely the following ->
Team Deathmatch, Second Wave, Omnibus, Swarm Tactics, Rise of the Undead, Zombie Swarm and Ian Boswell's Minigames pack.

:D:D

GL and release something epic to draw players over to AS before it dies for good! (My evidence it's dying? LESS SERVERS -> LESS PLAYERS -> LESS POSTERS.)

Lockstock
08-04-2010, 08:46 AM
If the Zombie Swarm guys have five fully functional (includes audio, animation, ingame compatible) models then thats quite alot!

Anyway I am thinking about a name for our mod-team. Any suggestions?
Like Groaning Idiots productions;)

VisM.OwnZ
08-04-2010, 08:59 AM
If you need someone for translations, ask me. xD

Lockstock
08-04-2010, 10:13 AM
If you need someone for translations, ask me. xD

What languages do you speak?

pnx
08-04-2010, 10:25 AM
german obviously :D

BugBusterAnon
08-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Lockstock and Drop Gaming.

OutofAmmo Creations?

There's practically an entire world of names.

:cool:

will_save
08-04-2010, 04:29 PM
I'd say Prestige Worldwide if we didn't run the risk of getting sued...haha

Lockstock
08-05-2010, 03:47 AM
OutofAmmo Creations... Sounds quite cool already.
What about Smoking Barrels Productions!

BugBusterAnon
08-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Yeah, but the problem is there is already a company called that, lol.

dra6o0n
08-05-2010, 09:19 PM
TheOneBullet Productions?

Zombtech Co.?

Klitoride
08-06-2010, 02:56 AM
has been already said to put it on moddb?

so its easier to follow the updates....

BugBusterAnon
08-06-2010, 05:39 PM
There's already a company called "Smoking Barrels" so that's out of the window, unless you want to end up shelling legal fees, compensation for misadvertisement and copyright - I suggest not using it.

mzmiric5
08-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Lockstock, sent u a pm some time ago, regarding this project, but never got a response from ya, can u check and answer please.

nakashimakun
08-07-2010, 03:26 PM
hey lockstock I sent you a message on swarm armory when you was asking for webspace. Are you still looking for some or have you got it sorted?

Lockstock
08-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Lockstock, sent u a pm some time ago, regarding this project, but never got a response from ya, can u check and answer please.
Sorry I got loads of pms must have overlooked yours.

hey lockstock I sent you a message on swarm armory when you was asking for webspace. Are you still looking for some or have you got it sorted?
I've got several webspace offers, what is your username at Swarm armory?

spartic
08-09-2010, 03:49 PM
so any news?
New concept art?

nakashimakun
08-09-2010, 04:49 PM
I've got several webspace offers, what is your username at Swarm armory?

Nakashimakun :)

I have unlimited space on my website and some other nice features i could set up for you like live help and a support system for your mod. But let me know.

churche0
08-09-2010, 06:07 PM
is this mod still going?

Wallross
08-10-2010, 12:50 AM
I'd imagine. Game development is a slow process, and sometimes things don't happen the way you want them to, especially with total conversion mods like these.

Lockstock
08-10-2010, 03:30 AM
is this mod still going?
Yes it is.
I'd imagine. Game development is a slow process, and sometimes things don't happen the way you want them to, especially with total conversion mods like these.
You are right. Everything takes some time especially when the work is volountary.

Nakashimakun :)

I have unlimited space on my website and some other nice features i could set up for you like live help and a support system for your mod. But let me know.

Ok, send me a PM with your email adress so I can contact you.

churche0
08-10-2010, 03:54 AM
Yes it is.

You are right. Everything takes some time especially when the work is volountary.

great (: cause i want to pew pew zombies

BugBusterAnon
08-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Heh. Who doesn't, your wish may become a reality sooner than you think.

spartic
08-10-2010, 03:08 PM
You need someone who supplys you with custom textures? like road traffic signs as texture?

Lockstock
08-10-2010, 03:57 PM
You need someone who supplys you with custom textures? like road traffic signs as texture?

Currently not, but maybe later:)

Merrow
08-11-2010, 07:06 AM
Well.. You seem like we can trust you.. So I do.. I hope mod won't die.. "Sorry i don't have skillz like that you say... Like others.. but I can be a beta tester, or can give ideas if you want.. kdemirocak@hotmail.com"

xMaggostx
08-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Lockstock.

If you need any help to test beta or stuff like that, im glad to help, sending my contacts right now.

nakashimakun
08-11-2010, 12:06 PM

Done :)

Lockstock
08-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Ok, development forum is up:D

nakashimakun
08-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Yes and it will be the start of many great things.

spartic
08-16-2010, 03:05 PM
any news on your mod?

Lockstock
08-16-2010, 03:17 PM
any news on your mod?

We are currently getting the team together in the forum and starting to get to know each other. Concept art, models and audio are on the way.

Lockstock
08-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Our current concept artist quit because of financial problems, so wee need a new one.

Requierments:

- reliable, constant work
- can do quick sketches (in one week)
- can draw organic as well as static objects

LATTEH
08-18-2010, 11:33 AM
is this gonna be a first person mod or over head (like alien swarm)

BugBusterAnon
08-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Isometric like alien swarm you derp.

If you want it first person you could always do the console code thing.

Bazoo
08-18-2010, 01:45 PM
It could be cool if there's melee weppons (heh gore)(like swords, iron pipes...) and also an bazooka or an enemy tracking missile.
(And if that is possible) create a remote turret (the thing that shoots ppl like in the ryberg reactor mission) canon or lazer (I love blasting things).
PS. I love killing things (in games for sure...)

Lockstock
08-19-2010, 05:38 AM
It could be cool if there's melee weppons (heh gore)(like swords, iron pipes...) and also an bazooka or an enemy tracking missile.
(And if that is possible) create a remote turret (the thing that shoots ppl like in the ryberg reactor mission) canon or lazer (I love blasting things).
PS. I love killing things (in games for sure...)

Melee weapons sound good but lasers and stuff... We want to keep RotU as "realistic" as possible.

nakashimakun
08-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Hmm I don't think rocket lunchers would make very realistic zombie shooters. niether would grenade lunchers. I personally like going rambo with lots of machine guns and loads of clips ;)

dra6o0n
08-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Melee weapons sound good but lasers and stuff... We want to keep RotU as "realistic" as possible.

You mean modernized and civilized as possible.

Melee weapons can follow the lines of dead rising 2 maybe, use the environment as a weapon.

I'd like it if zombies and players have actual physics and skeletons that react to attacks, like knockdown and such...
It'd require a lot of coding but it's quite possible.
Knocking down a bunch of zombies with a grenade would be cool, as it allows you to run past em, as zombies that are downed aren't likely to react from the concussion to their brains in that short moment.

Yes, I think zombies can have a concussion, they do function using their brains after all.

nakashimakun
08-19-2010, 11:11 PM
That would take a hell of a lot of code but it would sounds worth it. Tho I think melee weapons shouldn't be over used.

Yeah they should be in the game but I think like guns and ammo there should be few and sometimes hard to find to make the panic of being in an actual zombie apoc all the more fun?

And the guns now I don't want to see it turn out like l4d where theres a crap load of guns + ammo at certain points I'd much rather they found like a pack of ammo and a melee weapon and 3 guns and a ammo stack. Or something along that lines. This is just my personal input tho. Its the level designer and Team Lead to design the maps how they'd want it ;)

Also Lockstock shouldn't you mark off on the road plan about the Dev Forum and the Team getting to know each other?

PierrouX
08-20-2010, 05:41 AM
Hey guys :)

I'm moderator on alienswarm.fr and I discovered your project a few days ago.

I have just posted a topic on the site ;)

Good Luck !

Lockstock
08-20-2010, 05:47 AM
An extraction of an email to a teammember to get you updated:

The actual campaigns will be quite diffrent from the original AS. I too got bored by it, because it's just too repetitve.
Rise of the Undead will be better. Not only is the mod harder and more tactical (because you and the zombies move slower than in AS) but the gameplay is different, too.

It's not so much about getting from A to B (which is basicly the point in AS) but to survive various situations, like being trapped in a house forced to barricade yourself.
Or getting to a chopper in time. The core gameplay mechanics are the same as nearly every action game (survive a certain amount of time, get to point X, kill 1000 X, get to X in Y minutes, whatnot) BUT, and this is the basic difference, it will have a totally different atmosphere and feeling than AS and the many other top-down shooters out there.

In a singleplayer or Coop orientated game (unlike e.g. TF2) atmosphere is a huge factor in the "fun-o-meter". Half Life 2, the Call of Duty series (in Singleplayer)or Metro 2033, take every action game you want - atmosphere is the most important game aspect.
Alien Swarm is not very atmospherical. Stills of a totaly random guy talking to you and even more boring PDAs... Hundreds of Aliens (all look the same) attacking you in always the same way... Few finales, nearly no concentrated fights at all. This can and will be made better by us. The goal is to create a atmosphere of constant threat spiced with a bit horror, this is what we are aiming for.

We wil achive this with a combination of slow paced gameplay, frightening audio (the sound of hundreds of guhls moaning), dark scenery only lit by your flashlight.
Take http://www.mojang.com/notch/j4k/l4kd/ Left 4k Death, a (very) small internet project for example. I think this little game is a lot more atmospheric than AS only by better lightning effects and the feeling that a zombie might lure behind the next corner. Zombies should not be a easy enemy like the aliens in AS but serious threats for you.

spartic
08-20-2010, 06:12 AM
so, when will you show us the first model content?

pnx
08-20-2010, 08:52 AM
so, when will you show us the first model content?

agree with spartic.

Dont want to complain too much, but actually it seems you are just talking at setting the team up. Just start doing things already. It takes roughly about a month to get a model into a game...if you already did one and know how it works. If you make it the first time, its so annoying get the bones right and so on.
If you guys dont manage to get something promising to work, i dont see where this is going.
So you've got a model and a concept art going. model needs bones, animation, textures, needs lots and lots of custom code and rewriting spawning entities and such. Just telling how your mod will be wont help.

nakashimakun
08-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Well I agree with lockstock's approach tbh, Any good mod team need to get fully aquinted with each other before they could produce anything fairly decent. You look a NMRiH and look how long its taking them to release that. Im sure you don't want something quick and bad quailty do you? I know other teams have started to show work of there projects but for what different people plan and have in there mod shows what sort of outcome it's going to be. Give them chance they are working on this I assure you.

BugBusterAnon
08-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Well I agree with lockstock's approach tbh, Any good mod team need to get fully aquinted with each other before they could produce anything fairly decent. You look a NMRiH and look how long its taking them to release that. Im sure you don't want something quick and bad quailty do you? I know other teams have started to show work of there projects but for what different people plan and have in there mod shows what sort of outcome it's going to be. Give them chance they are working on this I assure you.

You do know PNX is part of the modelling team on making one of the other big mods for this game. I forget, there's like 4 and it's hard to remember all the people.

Lockstock
08-20-2010, 02:16 PM
We don't just say "Hi I am Lockstock, lets make a mod." "Great I'll model 10 zombies for you." I whish it would be like that, but it's much more complicated. Mods always have to fight with the reliability of people or to be correct the absence of it. We are nothing different there. I talked to three different 3D artist after their application. One never responded, two promised to make a zombie model and never answered again. We have a new one now (who also can make concept art) so it's ok. But I hope you understand that it just takes some time.
We are discussing in which direction we want to go. Which setting, what characters, what gameplay, level design, visual style, audio... We have some really great ideas that will makes this mod totally different than other zombie games/mods.

mac89
08-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Biggest problem with mod teams is motivation and morale, anyway hope you succeed. Didnt really like your zombie concept, I prefer a more human take on it. But whatever its your mod, right? :)

Also if you want and have somebody that can do it, I can give you a gun model + texture, so that person can try and import it for use in your mod.

The screens are located in the zombie swarm thread.

BugBusterAnon
08-20-2010, 03:18 PM
I r stalker mac89.

bleh.:o

pnx
08-20-2010, 11:38 PM
We are discussing in which direction we want to go. Which setting, what characters, what gameplay, level design, visual style, audio... We have some really great ideas that will makes this mod totally different than other zombie games/mods.

yeah its great that it will be different from all the other zombie games/mods.
my opinion on that:
1. It will be the same
2. when it even finishes.

I dont mean to be rude, but even if you haven't set up the concept yet, you have to work on theory. I mean when you've done your concepts it wont be like: "yey, lets do that stuff". It will be more like: "and how do we do that stuff now?"
Before setting up the style, you have to see whats possible. Get a coder who is reliable and 60% online, talk to him about your ideas and if he already saw the code, he will tell you whether its possible or not. if it is, he should start to get things work. When i wanted to create a custom weapon i didnt start with a concept drawing. i didnt even make a custom model.
I just copied an existing weapon to get that work. Once gettin that done in theory you can start putting your own content into the game. But these first steps need to be done in the first place. and i dont see that this happens right now.
Stop talking, start modding
:)

dra6o0n
08-21-2010, 12:20 AM
yeah its great that it will be different from all the other zombie games/mods.
my opinion on that:
1. It will be the same
2. when it even finishes.

I dont mean to be rude, but even if you haven't set up the concept yet, you have to work on theory. I mean when you've done your concepts it wont be like: "yey, lets do that stuff". It will be more like: "and how do we do that stuff now?"
Before setting up the style, you have to see whats possible. Get a coder who is reliable and 60% online, talk to him about your ideas and if he already saw the code, he will tell you whether its possible or not. if it is, he should start to get things work. When i wanted to create a custom weapon i didnt start with a concept drawing. i didnt even make a custom model.
I just copied an existing weapon to get that work. Once gettin that done in theory you can start putting your own content into the game. But these first steps need to be done in the first place. and i dont see that this happens right now.
Stop talking, start modding
:)
Yeah, I have a tendency to do this too, when I was taking computer programmer for college, and look where that got me?
>_>

Thinking up ideas as a whole image might be cool and all, but you wouldn't know what makes it tick until you've broken that idea apart.

It's like trying to attach a rocket to a car thinking it'll work out fine, without going through all the fine details the procedure would need.

Also, stress is a part of these projects, as members will always crack and sometimes give up.

nakashimakun
08-23-2010, 06:51 AM
There working on it just give them chance.

BugBusterAnon
08-23-2010, 07:54 PM
There working on it just give them chance.

Stop bein' an asskisser.

You have nothing to do with the mod, you just rent the domain for the php forums. Big deal, they can get a forum anywhere.

Speaking of which, is it open to the public? And can you post the URL? Because I can't be bothered to google it. (:

Lockstock
08-24-2010, 03:12 AM
Stop bein' an asskisser.

You have nothing to do with the mod, you just rent the domain for the php forums. Big deal, they can get a forum anywhere.

Speaking of which, is it open to the public? And can you post the URL? Because I can't be bothered to google it. (:

He is part of the team. By contributing webspace and a forum he gave is the basics for mod development, so please stop swearing.

I already posted the URL but it it's a developers only forum right now. When we made more progress we will open a community forum as well as a website. For now we concentrate on developing rather than a bling bling flash-website.

Amos Trask
08-24-2010, 07:56 AM
looking forward to this one :D

you guys could get a lot of inspiration from games like nation red, and some flash zombie games

nakashimakun
08-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Stop bein' an asskisser.

Wow I aint being an asskisser I was just saying I've seen that there working on stuff. Hense why I said give them chance. Also the deal I have worked with them isn't for just a forum. So before you call me an Asskisser understand im helping them. In return I get to offer my input on the forum and see what there working on.

Anyways Nation Red is more of a suvival game its not really story driven. And which Flash zombies games was you on about Amos?

Amos Trask
08-24-2010, 08:39 AM
sorry if i came across saying your ideas were bad or anything. they are pretty good really, and i'm positive the devs wanted to do it but couldnt. gl lol :) lots of zombie references in code :)

the thing about playing games top down is it is actually a lot easier than a fps, you have to balance it by creating enough opposition that the players cant just run and gun, though that can be intensely fun at times, it just doesnt work without epic massive maps.

Zombie shooters are always survival driven, but yeah, as for the flash games, theres a couple of sweet ones with weapon upgrades and stuff like that. Quite fun to play really.

If you guys intend to take the story driven approach, feel free to ask me for help anytime, just fire an pm my way with any requirements and i'll see if i can implement them in the code. There are a lot of us working in that department now. I just wish that the alyx isdarkness code was still in alien swarm :(

dra6o0n
08-25-2010, 12:06 PM
I got a idea to reuse the effects from the Alien Swarm Telsa and flamethrowers and putting em into modern use.

For tasers, in the real world, you don't carry a 2 handed hunk of metal that zaps zombies, no, you have a personal taser at hand in this game.

Lower the range to melee range, and use a thrusting animation for the character to "slam" the taser into the zombie. Why a taser for a weapon? Well it can destroy their brain if you inject enough electricity to burn em, which is about half or a whole battery.

Tasers are also silent, so when in use, it kills faster than a sledge hammer (also less noisy) and you don't need to double check the body when you know you fried the brain.

As for flamethrowers, military grade flamethrowers aren't likely to be found so makeshift ones are gonna be important.

These makeshift flamethrowers consist of a Flammable Aerosol Can, taped to a lighter... Maybe from a item combination but I dunno. The range would be smaller and damage should be inconsistent, but has the ability to set crowds of zombies on fire quickly. Fuel would be spent rather quickly, so the use would be limited to groups, as you waste 10% of fuel every second you fire.

So basically...
Taser = Solo Weapons
Flamethrower = Group Weapons

ianflow124
08-29-2010, 08:01 PM
As a spectator, I look forward to zombies in the game. I would love the idea of the zombies being similar to that of dead space, with claws, you know. I love the idea of slow zombies too!
What I really love, is the idea of a new alien, controlling the zombies. Not a hive mind really, more, each zombie is an individual alien.

BugBusterAnon
08-30-2010, 01:26 PM
As a spectator, I look forward to zombies in the game. I would love the idea of the zombies being similar to that of dead space, with claws, you know. I love the idea of slow zombies too!
What I really love, is the idea of a new alien, controlling the zombies. Not a hive mind really, more, each zombie is an individual alien.

Better yet you could do a dead rising sort of thing and use the alien swarm maggots. Each zombie is controlled by a small maggot or something like dead rising.

theironpaw
08-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Hey Lockstock send you an email from the first post, currently studying advance dip in games development (art).

willing to start modeling straight away

nakashimakun
09-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Hey theironpaw. Lockstock currently can't get to his computer at the minute. Hes had to take some time away. Im sure he'll catch up with you he should be back in a few days.

StreetGamer
09-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Still working on it or is it dead?

theironpaw
09-03-2010, 07:14 PM
i hope its not dead im willing if i get concept art.

Front, Side, top, Back then i can start modeling in 3ds max. i can also rigg and texture. i just need concepts:confused:

Lockstock
09-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Yes, the mod is alive, and me leave of abscence was not because of lazyness but because I had an operation.

Short update:

Now that I am back, we are working on the the whole background story.
It would be pretty useless to just start working on sketches an models, without knowing where the mod is going to go.

pnx
09-05-2010, 02:20 PM
dude seriously...
its a zombie mod, start making zombies already

dra6o0n
09-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Yes, the mod is alive, and me leave of abscence was not because of lazyness but because I had an operation.

Short update:

Now that I am back, we are working on the the whole background story.
It would be pretty useless to just start working on sketches an models, without knowing where the mod is going to go.

You DO realize that concept arts are required to show to other group members the environment or atmosphere you'd want the game to go towards...

Okay here's a job for you concept artist. I'll give you guys a helping hand by suggesting a few possible scenes for a concept art then.

1) A aerial shot of the scene, with the lingering darkness surrounding the survivors, walking down a street. Only their flashlight leads the way, but all they see is pitch black darkness.

2) A survivor is trying to keep the undead from barging at the door, by pushing at it, while a female survivor is shocked and panicking at the back of the building. Zombies are seen pressing their faces at the windows.

3) Several survivors are in the shot as the dead tries to chase them in a mall. Makeshift barricades only impedes them for only so long. Side shot of the scene has zombies on the left, with survivors running away, shooting at the zombies. Barricade is seen impeding the zombies, but being shaken off too easily.

A good zombie reference can be the comic "The Walking Dead". It has a ton of ideas you'd like for a zombie environment.

Oh cool they made a trailer for the walking dead comic!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBiI6YRfWIY

theironpaw
09-06-2010, 04:47 AM
well first of all we need to import a basic model into alien swarm before we start all this concepts and level design. a simple character. just to see if it works first then work on anything else

but anyways I think this thread needs a website that we can make threads and discuss with other group members. and keep it under wraps and away from the public eye or keep it public. either way its better

pnx
09-06-2010, 06:10 AM
well first of all we need to import a basic model into alien swarm before we start all this concepts and level design. a simple character. just to see if it works first then work on anything else

this!

dra6o0n
09-07-2010, 09:35 AM
this!

Then work on a simple survivor character to replace the usual Marines.
Problem is, you NEED a concept for that character, before you can make a perfect model of it... Otherwise you'd be working with a marine character and modifying them to get a grasp on it.

It should be simple enough over making a new "alien" monster as a zombie.

If your gonna open a website, maybe you need to make a blog like with other mod sites.
Why not open a moddb account for this mod?

Moddb.com is a very good site for getting resource and information from, as many many modders are found in that community and you can even recruit any members you are lacking from their too! Comes with résumés too for some of em (you can find very experienced members but some may prefer to work for money).

pnx
09-07-2010, 12:36 PM

he, funny...

well i dont want to be destructive or something, but there is just nothing "simple". First of all its really really difficult (some say impossible) to get animations working.
So why wasting time on a concept if you CANT use it.
First of all test whats possible and then work stuff out. so show us, that you CAN do the things you want, and then start finalizing them

redmond
09-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Lockstock, i sent you an email a few days ago, not sure if it found its way into your junk pile and got trashed, but i'd like to help you out with your mod. Some examples of my work.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs108.snc3/15539_373280825423_774930423_9987052_1217746_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs008.snc1/4174_198173995423_774930423_6790751_3495474_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2684/29/87/774930423/n774930423_6222973_4359160.jpg

And some old old stuff from 06-07 when i graduated Center NAD in montreal.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2684/29/87/774930423/n774930423_6279358_6749916.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2684/29/87/774930423/n774930423_6279360_5618140.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2684/29/87/774930423/n774930423_6279359_1907187.jpg

Anyways, looking forward to a zombie mod.

chipp8
09-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm really looking forward for a zombi mod. Keep it up!

Space-Viking!!!
09-08-2010, 01:39 PM
how about just "Zombie Swarm" ?

dra6o0n
09-08-2010, 03:15 PM
he, funny...

well i dont want to be destructive or something, but there is just nothing "simple". First of all its really really difficult (some say impossible) to get animations working.
First of all test whats possible and then work stuff out. so show us, that you CAN do the things you want, and then start finalizing them

If there doesn't exist "simplicity" then complexity wouldn't exist either.

How one thing is simple or not is based on perception, and your perception is that everything isn't simple.

From a generic view, I see modeling a simple character that already exist in on the net is "simple". You can find animations and loads of different models people made for other games, and you can look around in many places and find "humanoid" models. I never said they had to create everything from scratch. Some could be placeholders for example.

theironpaw
09-08-2010, 06:56 PM
he, funny...

I sent him an email some time ago i guess hes either hes away or he is still away from his email. he got an operation apperantly

pnx
09-08-2010, 11:57 PM
From a generic view, I see modeling a simple character that already exist in on the net is "simple".

This step is not even important :)
The thing is, a decent modeler can do anything he wants whith his tools. So i dont even talk about that. You said the following and i guessed you mean to put the model ingame, not only making it.

Well after i went through the whole process of creating a weapon model, i experienced how painsome (Painsome = troublesome + pain in the ****) it is. You have to create the model itself, bones which correct naming, animations with the right name. You have to compile it with these animations which will be aweful as well. Then you will notice that your model is completely screwed up in terms of origin and the coordinate system, so you have to fix that. Then you've got the first alien. Then you have to dig into the code, do much copy and paste from the aliens and implement an own zombie spawner.

I dont say its impossible, i think it is possible. But if we dont even see a modeled blueprint of something i wont believe anything. The next step would be to see that model ingame. The next step would be seeing the animated model ingame. then next step would be seeing the animated model attack ingame. the next step would be seeing the model spawning and attacking.

we have seen none of these steps and because every of the group is talking how great their mod is, i think no one is on it at the moment.
I dont want to be an ****, but im afraid everybody is like: "and then we do that and that and how cool is it that we will do that and that...and check out my idea on that"
the thing is with no one really behind the mod if it comes to coding or modeling or animating or riggin, the best story, the best ideas are just useless. And i want to help them when i say: start already!
If they dont start bringing own code into the game and test stuff out, instead of "setting up the team (for 4 weeks now)" the mod will just die. Infact its mostly me ranting about the process and guys who say "oh im so looking forward to this mod" this thread is dead.
And i dont blame anyone, and i dont want to rush things etc. but with the wrong attitude this project is damned

Lockstock
09-09-2010, 04:20 AM
@PNX: If you just "start making models already" you end up in a complete mess after a while.
Yes you have to start with the "real" work at some point but if we just start by saying: "Hey - Lets make a zombie model!" We'd end nowhere. We have to know WHERE the mod is going to settled. Asia? Africa? Europe? America?
Whe have to know WHAT kind of game we want to make. Story based? Competition based?

In short: We have to know what we are going to make before creating it.

Of course this may take a while but don't expect us to show you new material every day or week even. That's not going to happen.
Team members will come and go and mod will have highs and lows. But in the end only the result counts. A totaly community based mod just takes some time and nerves.

@dra6o0n: We don't need a website/blog yet and I'd like to wait with moddb until we have something good to show.

Again short update:
I'm working hard on the design document or rather the design itself and am making some good progess. I already got some characters in mind and the general gameplay figured out.

pnx
09-09-2010, 04:53 AM
this mod is doomed

Lockstock
09-09-2010, 06:07 AM
this mod is doomed

It is sad. A few posts ago you didn't want to be destructive.
But if you changed your mind please let us be, so we can work on our "doomed" mod.

pnx
09-09-2010, 06:19 AM
yeah dont get me wrong, but i dont see you guys finish.
i hope you do, so please proove me wrong! because in general its a cool idea

theironpaw
09-10-2010, 03:06 AM
this mod is doomed

Ok First Off... Pnx. Dude seriously. we all know your amazing.
So amazing that you send people Pm's Trying to steal dedicated modelers and concept artist. from already formed threads and modding groups. yes I'm dedicated Currently to this one and this one only.

Because no one else cares about you. you troll other peoples threads with negative posts. Or if someone makes something similar to you to rip into how much there project is going to fail.

either pipe down a bit. and stop posting negative Bulsh*t.
and only post constructive criticism. And our World will Be a better Place.

I'm Sick of reading through the forums to see annoying little kids/d*uche bags posting fail comments in how much this guy/girls mod/map is going to fail or suck.

Most of the time these people are doing work, that these people are too lazy to even try for them selves or too stupid.

SO Why Don't you Have SOMETHING GOOD TO SAY?
Like, "Dude That Will Be Sick if you get it working!"
Or
"Hey Man you Might have some troubles along the way but if you pull it off, That's Awesome!"

just respect us Fellow Community. and only post if you have something nice to say!

pnx
09-10-2010, 05:31 AM
Ok First Off... Pnx. Dude seriously. we all know your amazing.

Thank you!

So amazing that you send people Pm's Trying to steal dedicated modelers and concept artist. from already formed threads and modding groups. yes I'm dedicated Currently to this one and this one only.
I never wanted to steal someone from this group. I've made you an offer to help us with modeling. Not to work exclusively for us or anything.
And since you did very good on your models you showed us, why not ask a talented modeler to help.

[...]
and only post constructive criticism. And our World will Be a better Place.
Ask the guys who are working with me: i give good, clear and constructive critics. But i really want the mod teams to be good to keep this game alive, and in my opinion just telling what they want to do but not doing anything is not the right way. I'd love to critic some of the work they've done already...but oops. nothing there

I'm Sick of reading through the forums to see annoying little kids/d*uche bags posting fail comments in how much this guy/girls mod/map is going to fail or suck.
Most of the time these people are doing work, that these people are too lazy to even try for them selves or too stupid.
I dont like them either. But do you know what upsets me?
I spend most of my day (since i've got some vacation) on programming in the AS SDK. I help everyone who asks me questions. Im helping guys with problems on the forum. And still there are threads with people only talking s*** about what great ideas they have and such. Its cool that people are creative, but it annoys me, that everybody thinks, that its enough to have a cool idea or one good map or something.
Finishing such a Mod is hard work and everybody is looking forward to see these mods finished. But i see that people will loose interest in a mod if there is nothing besides concept stuff they do.

Let me get that one clear:

I like this mod! i want it to be finished (as i said earlier). if they've got problems with something, just post and all the other guys (including me) will help them solving. but just telling what great ideas they have and how cool it will be is just lame.

SO Why Don't you Have SOMETHING GOOD TO SAY?L ike, "Dude That Will Be Sick if you get it working!"
Or "Hey Man you Might have some troubles along the way but if you pull it off, That's Awesome!"
already did.

just respect us Fellow Community.
I do and since im working my ♥♥♥ of on a deathmatch mod, you should respect me too.

and only post if you have something nice to say!
oh come on. not everything is filled with candy and birds singing all over the place. If something sucks, i'll be honest and say that it sucks.
So show us, that you are making progress, or tell us why you doesnt.
But just telling us that the concepts are cool and stuff annoys me.

Rahabib
09-10-2010, 08:49 AM
To a certain extent, I agree with pnx. I have seen tons and tons of mods that have concept art or even some model in 3ds (usually the easiest items like guns) that never sees the light of day in the sdk, and then have nothing shown for months only to just fold up shop.

This is mainly because some people who start a mod figure they had a cool idea and would then pick up the sdk manual and figure it out as they go, only to find out its way harder than it looks. So they do tons and tons of concept art to show "progress" that rarely ends up looking anything they drew up anyway in the actual game (especially since this is a top down game).

Anyway, keep chuggin on it. If it comes to pass, then it comes to pass.

I cant wait to see some in game stuff though.

Lockstock
09-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Maybe that is the best solution for you:
Be happy if we can show you some real progress and stay cool if we don't.

theironpaw
09-10-2010, 05:56 PM
@ pnx <3

Ecirp
09-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Do not stop make your mod., but i hope you can show something, because if you only work on the story now, it take ages to done it.
I just work 2 minutes and have working "very cheap" human zombies *g*.
Thats not the point, but i want say, maybe just keep your ideas and stuff for the first release down (lower your targeted objectives for first release), you can work on later versions for more results.
I hope you understand my crap english.

Lockstock
09-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Do not stop make your mod., but i hope you can show something, because if you only work on the story now, it take ages to done it.
I just work 2 minutes and have working "very cheap" human zombies *g*.
Thats not the point, but i want say, maybe just keep your ideas and stuff for the first release down (lower your targeted objectives for first release), you can work on later versions for more results.
I hope you understand my crap english.
Because we want to create a total conversion with a unique story and setting, we want it to be seamless and complete. So befor we start modeling 'any' zombie now, we want to settle the background - Where is the mod settled - How did the virus (or is it a virus) break out? Anyway, we did that now and I hope to show you some first sketches and models soon.

dra6o0n
09-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Because we want to create a total conversion with a unique story and setting, we want it to be seamless and complete. So befor we start modeling 'any' zombie now, we want to settle the background - Where is the mod settled - How did the virus (or is it a virus) break out? Anyway, we did that now and I hope to show you some first sketches and models soon.

That just sounds like you're scared it ain't going to be perfect so it's holding you back on the potential it can go.
Ever heard of taking risks? Maybe you guys need to make use of the IT resources found on the net... Like Project Management to allow you guys to discuss time and get things done in a "official" or "professional" way.

Before you EVEN get to making a total conversion, just make a simple zombie mods that works. If this is holding you back so much, you might as well pick up a new game engine or make your own if your skilled enough.

Well at least you started doing something, but the background wasn't a big of a deal since you can think it's a zombie apocalypse right at the top of your head. Obviously, you may have internal issues with conflicting ideas (I can tell because of the way you aren't sure of things).

Some people like it being a virus, some don't and want it supernatural. Well some devs who make zombie games never tells you anyhow, because there IS no answer.

Dead Rising series uses parasites rather than virual.
Resident Evil uses viral then later on went parasites.
Some games may use spiritual. Some may use religion. Some could use sci-fi (alien zombies) like in dead space.

4) Why Rise of the Undead and not another mod? Because we have a team of passionate gamers. We want this mod. We want it finished and we will finish it. We will develop the mod step by step (see roadmap).
Passionate does not equal talented or skilled. Go look for skilled people who can offer their talents.

Lockstock
09-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Well at least you started doing something, but the background wasn't a big of a deal since you can think it's a zombie apocalypse right at the top of your head. Obviously, you may have internal issues with conflicting ideas (I can tell because of the way you aren't sure of things).

Some people like it being a virus, some don't and want it supernatural. Well some devs who make zombie games never tells you anyhow, because there IS no answer.

Dead Rising series uses parasites rather than virual.
Resident Evil uses viral then later on went parasites.
Some games may use spiritual. Some may use religion. Some could use sci-fi (alien zombies) like in dead space.

"Our" infection is a virus spread by fluid-exchanges.

Passionate does not equal talented or skilled. Go look for skilled people who can offer their talents.
I'd rather have passionate people than skilled but lazy ones.

spartic
09-12-2010, 03:24 PM
cool that you want to make a proper story first, but isnt it better to first make an own zombie like character, or just the bones, just to see if it will work. Then you can work on the story.

TheBogStandardU
09-15-2010, 11:33 AM
braiiiiiiiiiins

also a zombie survival map would be cool, trapped in a house, welding door and shootin zombies

dra6o0n
09-20-2010, 08:03 AM
You guys should realize now that most of the attention on the net for games alike is being swept away to minecraft.

Lockstock
09-20-2010, 02:05 PM
So what? I own minecraft, it's nothing like Alien Swarm or what RotU will be.

dra6o0n
09-23-2010, 06:07 AM
So what? I own minecraft, it's nothing like Alien Swarm or what RotU will be.

Attention <----

If a few hundred of thousands of people reads a article about minecraft, it just barely makes a comparison with the attention this game or mod gets.

Lockstock
09-23-2010, 09:43 AM
What are you trying to say?

dra6o0n
09-23-2010, 03:53 PM
What are you trying to say?

Nevermind... Was just trying to related to the popularity of minecraft to alien swarm... I'm just guessing that Alien Swarm had quite a lot of hype and all the hype's gone.

Lockstock
09-24-2010, 04:10 AM
Nevermind... Was just trying to related to the popularity of minecraft to alien swarm... I'm just guessing that Alien Swarm had quite a lot of hype and all the hype's gone.

That may be true. Shouldn't be a problem though.

BugBusterAnon
10-01-2010, 02:17 AM
no progress in 2 months?

You drew some epic art and I was confident in your ability for a while. My confidence is lost seeing as after a month I come back to find you've done nothing more than when I left.

If you have made progress then edit the first post and get the peoples confidence back. Alien swarm is almost dead, it's teetering on the edge, I assumed this would save AS yet after 2 months we see nothing. Time's almost up and your mod will fade along with AS.

Us hardcore fans might stay, but I don't see the main playerbase sticking around past october.

Lockstock
10-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Yes, no visual progress so far. But think:
How long are commercial development teams working on a game without any visual progress for the press? One year? Two years? Our mod won't take so long to show you something real, but there is a lot going on behind the scene.
I am working on the design document, which is a crucial part of the project. We just can't start developing without really knowing where to go.

will_save is working on weapon-sounds and the theme.

Barada is working on character design and research for the model implementation.

I am confident that AS will get the glory it deserves when we release our mod - And many people will play it again.

dra6o0n
10-06-2010, 08:47 AM
That's only if they didn't get gobbled up by the Minecraft Rave... Seriously.

nakashimakun
10-07-2010, 02:04 AM
That's only if they didn't get gobbled up by the Minecraft Rave... Seriously.

Im sure once something big comes out for Alien Swarm it'll get played again.

Lockstock
10-17-2010, 04:32 AM
3D ARTIST AND CONCEPT ARTIST WANTED

We want YOU as our lead 3D Artist and/or Concept Artist in our Alien Swarm - mod "Rise of the Undead".

Who you should be:
You should be an dedicated member of our team. You have to be experienced with modding in the source engine and willing to learn how to apply your knowledge to Alien Swarm. This is a zombie mod, so you should be a huge zombie fan.
Giving up is not an options for us - we will finish this mod so we need people who belive in this project.

What we offer:
With us you can make your first step in the gaming industry and create your own, and first full-conversion, mod for Alien Swarm. We can offer you our very own development forum where we discuss ideas and share our development status.
We have a plan and we know what to do - We just need you (wasn't supposed to rhyme^^).

Apply now and send me a PM or a email to Maximator@hotmail.de

Teroan
10-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Maybe as an inspiration, or whatever, game called Dead Nation for PS3 seems like something that would resemble zombie mod for AS. Shame its only for PS3... ;)

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/deadnation/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8EHgNFOPSo

In any case, good luck with your mod!

Lockstock
10-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Maybe as an inspiration, or whatever, game called Dead Nation for PS3 seems like something that would resemble zombie mod for AS. Shame its only for PS3... ;)

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/deadnation/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8EHgNFOPSo

In any case, good luck with your mod!

The style/grapics are right, but the gameplay is completly different. RotU will be focused much more on teamplay and slow paced tactic-action. Anyway seems like a fun game. Shame I only own a xbox and pc :(

BugBusterAnon
10-20-2010, 12:19 PM
AS is dead. (:

Go play minecraft. It's fun to piss people off with lava and water.

xshadowx55
10-20-2010, 02:08 PM
AS is dead. (:

Go play minecraft. It's fun to jarate people off with lava and water.

But you can't use jars in Minecraft :(

Anyway, this mod sounds pretty cool, and I hope it isn't dead.

marthike
10-20-2010, 03:49 PM
I saw the plan, see your making the zombies first. I hope you can release a mod that turns the aliens into zombies when you have finnished the zombie models.

It would be great to test them out and also would be a great publisity thing.

Lockstock
10-21-2010, 08:31 AM
But you can't use jars in Minecraft :(

Anyway, this mod sounds pretty cool, and I hope it isn't dead.

I saw the plan, see your making the zombies first. I hope you can release a mod that turns the aliens into zombies when you have finnished the zombie models.

It would be great to test them out and also would be a great publisity thing.

We think so too, but we are in dire need of a 3D artist (and/or concept artist). If you know anyone who might be interested in our project, feel free to introduce us:D

Lockstock
10-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Common guys, I know there are great 3D artist and concept artist out here!
Be part of the first total conversion for AS!

marthike
10-25-2010, 11:47 AM
We think so too, but we are in dire need of a 3D artist (and/or concept artist). If you know anyone who might be interested in our project, feel free to introduce us:D

I will take a look in my taptapRevenge (iPod touch game) clan.

I will go ask if any of them wanna be part of this mod. However although I know few programmers and 3D artists they don't even know alien swarm so getting them to participate is very difficult.

However, I will go round and look for 3D artists and post round to see what I can find.

Could you give me a list of things the 3D artist needs
e.g knowlage of source SDK if that's a requirement everyone I know would be out of the question because I doubt they even heard of steam lol.

Lockstock
10-25-2010, 03:08 PM
I will take a look in my taptapRevenge (iPod touch game) clan.

I will go ask if any of them wanna be part of this mod. However although I know few programmers and 3D artists they don't even know alien swarm so getting them to participate is very difficult.

However, I will go round and look for 3D artists and post round to see what I can find.

Could you give me a list of things the 3D artist needs
e.g knowlage of source SDK if that's a requirement everyone I know would be out of the question because I doubt they even heard of steam lol.

Kownlage of the source SDK is a must. Thank you for your offer, I really appreciate it but we need guys who know the source engine. I hope you understand that I really want to get a 3D artist on board and I am thankfull for every hint/suggestion I get, but we need a source capable artist :(

Cheers,
Lockstock

Teroan
10-28-2010, 07:58 PM
I think the first post needs to be changed. Any experienced coder/artist/whoever, who can put zombies and AS together instantly knows what that means. What i'd like to see is details about the actual mod, things that matter. At the moment it seems to me that you are going to just replace aliens with zombies and that's it?

I mean you have already mentioned some thoughts like that the mod would be more team oriented etc. but none of it is mentioned in the first post. People probably want to know what kind of mod you are going to make and not just that there's going to be "slow smelly zombies". DETAILS! :)

Lockstock
10-29-2010, 06:57 AM
I think the first post needs to be changed. Any experienced coder/artist/whoever, who can put zombies and AS together instantly knows what that means. What i'd like to see is details about the actual mod, things that matter. At the moment it seems to me that you are going to just replace aliens with zombies and that's it?

I mean you have already mentioned some thoughts like that the mod would be more team oriented etc. but none of it is mentioned in the first post. People probably want to know what kind of mod you are going to make and not just that there's going to be "slow smelly zombies". DETAILS! :)
Ok. I take the risk of idea-stealing, here is the design document in the current state.

Design Document
Rise of the Undead
Draft 1

Rise of the Undead is a to-down-zombie-shooter set in modern times combining a realistic approach on the setting with fun gameplay.

GAMEPLAY
Goal:

The main goal is to get all survivors alive to the end of the level, while clearing various objectives. The game is lost, if one member of the team is killed.

Weapons:

Shotgun (Jon)
- slow reload
- Great man-stopping-power
- Little chance to get instant headshot-kill
- heavy

Pistol (Judy)
- light
- fast reload
- high rate of fire
- little man-stopping-power
- more accurate than the shotgun but less than the rifle

Rifle (Alex)
- accurate
- acceptable man-stopping-power
- low rate of fire
- slow reload

Items:

Axe (Jon)
- Melee weapon
- Can destroy obstacles

Injection (Judy)
- can heal

Ammunition (Alex)
- provides fresh ammunition

CHARACTERS

Jonathan Trump

Jonathan, or just Jon, is a grumpy Ex-Fireman. He was a simple man. Good food, a beer in his hand and TV in front of him made his day. If things get serious he turns into a reliable and fearsome comrade. He is about 185cm high, has a beer belly and is 55 years old. Before the infection, he was an unhurried and loving man. His wife and two kids were one of the first to get infected. It happened, when he was on duty, trying to rescue two drunken guys out of a burning house. When he go home his family was gone, infected or dead – and worlds end waited for him. After this he became more and more introvert and cut all bonds to the perishing civilization – Only Judy can get him to laugh and talk. She was trapped in her hospital by a horde of zombies when he first met her. After he shot all zombies to pieces and talked to Judy he agreed to search for help and safety together. Soon he began to see Judy as a replacement for his dead daughter. He would give his life for her. Jon doesn’t agree to Alex’s and Judy’s relationship and thinks Alex just wants to play a game with her.

Judy Mitchell

Judy is 21 years old and about 172cm high. She used to be a nurse in the city’s main hospital. She was one of the last to leave the hospital and tried to help the wounded. When the hospital was overrun, she barricaded herself with an infected patient in an O.R. and fought against the zombies with operation-blades. Soon the patient turned and attacked her. Jonathan came not a second to soon and saved her life. She has an optimistic attitude and always tries to see the good in people. When she meets Alex she falls in love with him, only to be confused by his moods, changing from strong affection to completely sealing himself of her.

Alex Craven

Alex is a British soldier, about 190cm high and is 22 years old. He has short hair and a three-day beard. After being raised by his very strict and traditional family, he decided to join the army when he was 19. When the infection slips out of government control, he is recruited for disaster control. Just the day he leaves home he has to confront the chaos in the streets. After he fights his way to the police station he meets Jon and Judy – and instantly falls in love with Judy. But after he realizes the degree of the infection he does not want to get in a relationship with literally no future. Nonetheless he is not able to keep himself away from Judy and is confused by his strong feelings for her.

PICKUPS

Flares

STORY MODE

Background story

When the undead-virus strikes the world, three people are bound together to survive:
Alex, a passionate soldier, Judy, a young and beautiful nurse and Jonathan, a grumpy but loving ex-fireman. The story starts with Alex, who has to conquer chaos when he steps out of his apartment. The world is on fire- the dead have returned. An unknown virus infected the population and turned them into brain-hungry monsters. The infection is spread by the exchange of fluids – bites, open wounds and blood. Alex can escape the zombies for the moment and flees to the nearest police station. He meets his future companions – Judy and Jonathan. To the reluctance of Jon, who sees Judy as a daughter, Alex and Judy fall in love. Nevertheless, the apocalypse is still out in the city and Alex has to know what happened to his parents. They fight their way through the suburbs only to find them dead. Alex gets bitten and has to be brought to an hospital.

Tutorial (Singleplayer):

Setting: Alex’s home and the city. Afternoon.
Goal: Find the police station.
Side goals:
Find your weapon and pick it up.
Find ammunition.
Story: Alex packs his stuff for his trip to the barracks. When he leaves home, he encounters pure chaos. Civilians are fighting against zombies in the street, with everything they’ve got. Alex doesn’t know what’s going on and decides to head to the local police station. On his way he rescues civilians or leaves them to their fate. When he finally reaches the police station, he must force the fact, that the officials have either left the station or are turned into zombies. Only two other survivors try to make their way to the chaos too. He talks to the fat man and the young woman and finds out that their names are Jonathan and Judy. They don’t know what’s going on either. Judy’s relatives live in America and Jon’s are already dead, but Alex wants to find his parents in the city and make sure they are okay. They decide to head to their house in the suburb.

1. Mission:

Setting: The main city and the suburbs. Late afternoon.
Goal: Find out what has happened to Alex’s parents.
Story: The survivors leave the police station and make their way through the city and suburbs. Civilians are getting less common as against with zombies who now appear in hordes. The sun begins to set so that the survivors have to find some flashlights. After they broke in an electronic store, they continue their journey. They soon find the parents resident and have to fight against even bigger hordes of zombies. Finally they enter the house. Alex’s parents lie dead on the ground – Suicide with medications.

2. Mission:

Setting: Suburbs and hospital. Nightfall.
Goal: Get Alex to a hospital.
Story: Heavily wounded, Alex cannot walk to the hospital on his own. He has to be carried by one of his teammates. While he can still shoot while he is carried the one carrying him can’t do anything but walk. Because of Alex’s wound the survivors have to still his bleeding by picking up first aid kits from houses, cars and stores. After making their way to the hospital, they vet the wound and get Alex back on his feet.

COMPETITIVE MODES

Survival

Goal:
Survive the longest
Short Info:
Survive as long as you can against waves of zombies.
Long Info:
This mode is endless. You and your teammates make a last stand. You are attacked from waves of zombies which get more and more each wave. An endless ammunition supply is provided at place hard to reach. If you run out of ammo, you have to take the risk and get out of the safe house to resupply.
Map design:
All maps a centered at the safe house of the survivors. There is no escape or exit in any way. Survivors can use alternate routes to get to the ammo-supply, but they have to take a risk either way.

Loot

Goal:
Reach the safe house with the most supplies.
Short Info:
Build fragile alliances with the other players or betray them to get the most supplies to the safe house.
Long Info:
Friendly Fire is on and an important part of the game. Players have to face hordes of zombies on the way to the safe house. En Route, they have to pick up supply-cases heavily guarded by zombies. If a player is killed he drops is supplies and therefore makes them available for the others. The main focus is to deliberate whether to kill other players (or get them killed by zombies) to get their supplies or to maintain the alliance to fight against zombies in order to pick up new supplies.
Map design:
Maps can vary between wide and open or long and narrow and winding. They all have in common that the players are led to the safe house and that supply cases are hard to get to and heavily guarded.

spartic
10-29-2010, 07:07 AM
left 4 dead kind of gameplay setting

marthike
10-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Mission 2 is a bit too co-operative. No one want to just carry another player and be left out the action. I suggest the carrier should be able to shoot aswell (with one hand).

Loot is good idea but if a pro who can solo the mission, it would be pointless for the other players because they probably gets killed at the very beggining and have to watch one person play.

Lockstock
10-30-2010, 05:30 AM
@spartic:
RotU is much more tactical and has more slow-paced gameplay.

Mission 2 is a bit too co-operative. No one want to just carry another player and be left out the action. I suggest the carrier should be able to shoot aswell (with one hand).
You are right there, I forgot to mention it in the design document. The carryied person can shoot of course, but I am still trying to figure out how to make it more interesting for him/her.
But I really love the idea of the mission and don't want to abandon it.

Loot is good idea but if a pro who can solo the mission, it would be pointless for the other players because they probably gets killed at the very beggining and have to watch one person play.

That's kind of the point in the mode - You either have to stick together against the zombies, OR a competitor. This needs some playtesting to be balanced out (maybe punishement for TK?) but I'm sure we can balance that out with the help of you people - the community.

marthike
10-30-2010, 09:56 AM
You are right there, I forgot to mention it in the design document. The carryied person can shoot of course, but I am still trying to figure out how to make it more interesting for him/her.
But I really love the idea of the mission and don't want to abandon it.

Hmm. you could always make the carrier slower. Also he/she can pick up or drop Alex. Alex cant move so when dropped his can only shot on the spot.

That's kind of the point in the mode - You either have to stick together against the zombies, OR a competitor. This needs some playtesting to be balanced out (maybe punishement for TK?) but I'm sure we can balance that out with the help of you people - the community.

you could make it, only past a certain area in the map then team kills are allowed. That give people a chance to play for straight away getting killed.

Lockstock
10-30-2010, 10:32 AM
you could make it, only past a certain area in the map then team kills are allowed. That give people a chance to play for straight away getting killed.
Good idea! I updated the dd

spartic
11-02-2010, 02:29 PM
i think the background story spoils too much, in the background story you can read that the parents of alex are dead.

They fight their way through the suburbs only to find them dead.

And in the mission 1 decription too

Alex’s parents lie dead on the ground – Suicide with medications.

The goal of mission 1 is to find out what happened to Alex's parents, but if you read the backgroundstory you already know what happened.

The player needs to find it out right?

Lockstock
11-02-2010, 03:20 PM
i think the background story spoils too much, in the background story you can read that the parents of alex are dead.

And in the mission 1 decription too

The goal of mission 1 is to find out what happened to Alex's parents, but if you read the backgroundstory you already know what happened.

The player needs to find it out right?

Yes, the player finds out himself!
The background story is just for development purposes.

Rehbock
11-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Did you guys managed to get asw_zombie going or are you hanging in a limbo with it as it seems necessary for this mod :confused:

Lockstock
11-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Because of the love community acitivity and interest for Alien Swarm, we decided to change our "mod-basis" to Left 4 Dead.
The thread can be found here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18233269#post18233269).
See you there :)

xshadowx55
11-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Because of the love community acitivity and interest for Alien Swarm, we decided to change our "mod-basis" to Left 4 Dead.
The thread can be found here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18233269#post18233269).
See you there :)

Well that's just disappointing. I'm sure the interest would return if people would start modding for Alien Swarm, but no complete mods have been finished that I know of. :(

Rehbock
11-03-2010, 04:02 AM
they just failed on implementing a zombie into Alien Swarm.

Lockstock
11-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Well that's just disappointing. I'm sure the interest would return if people would start modding for Alien Swarm, but no complete mods have been finished that I know of. :(

We can't show you anything because we HAVE NO 3D ARTIST!!!!
The AS community is dead, so there IS NO WAY TO RECUITE AN ARTIST.

Fewd
11-03-2010, 10:32 PM
We can't show you anything because we HAVE NO 3D ARTIST!!!!
The AS community is dead, so there IS NO WAY TO RECUITE AN ARTIST.

I sent you a private message, I know it may be a long shot but it might work out for the better.

It's worth a look, especially if it's free labor.

I do realize that I would have a lot to learn, but if you have the time to give me a few pointers on which approach I should take I don't see why it's not worth trying.

Hurrrdulon
11-24-2010, 05:22 PM
A zombie mod for Left 4 Dead? Now I've heard it all.

BugBusterAnon
05-14-2011, 04:08 PM
A zombie mod for Left 4 Dead? Now I've heard it all.

Hahaha. That was brilliant, they've changed to Left4Dead to make a zombie mod. What a pointless waste of time this thread has been.

:p

whereiszack
12-24-2011, 12:54 AM
This is seriously disappointing. And, really, WTF is the point of making a zombie mod for a zombie game? I just don't get it. This could have been totally badass

Redspike474
12-24-2011, 07:08 AM

How can they have failed, there's already one in the code....