PDA

View Full Version : Super will definitely release on PC

Viscera
07-25-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm not an industry professional but I'm interested in and eagerly awaiting SSFIV to release on PC (preferably Steam). I'm pretty confident that it will release on pc for a couple reasons.

1). Capcom has supported steam for years- Lost Planet, Colonies edition, Resident Evil 5, Bionic Commando, Devil may Cry, etc., etc. There has been a healthy business relationship between Steam and Capcom. AAMOF Capcom was one of the first publishers to get on Steam and only after making huge profits did other companies get on board (Lucasarts, Ubisoft, EA).

2). The Steam delivery system is way more profitable for the game manufacturer. If a game costs 50 dol. retail, the game manufacturer makes 6-9 bucks profit in the trditional retail store. There are manufacturing costs, (warehousing, packaging, shipment costs, etc.) that are eliminated with online delivery. This allows Capcom and other companies to pull in a $30 dollar profit for the same game @ the same price - incidentally, that's why you can find huge discounts on steam)

3). Live and Steam have right around the same number of subscribers (about 25 million each) with an average of 1.1-2.4 mil. active at any time. That is too big a number to exclude. With the potential to reach 25mil. more people with a hot commodity like SSFIV, why would Capcom say "no" to close to a Billion dollars (25mil.x 30 potential profit = 750 million)

4). It cost nothing extra to deliver it on Steam. just place the game on Steam's severs and wait for the money to come in. Cut steam in for a share of the profit and that's it.

5). The rumors surrounding hacked copies are not just a PC phenomena. Bit torrents are available for 360 copies, Ps3 copies and so on. A friend of mine plays games on his modded 360 all the time. If I know about this,you know Capcom knows about it. It hasn't stopped them from dropping on the 360, PS3, hell even the iPhone has a street fighter. I'm very confident it will release on PC. - I think the delay is a ploy to keep the avid, hungry, and maybe the unscrupulous from accessing the game, copying it through a PC, and allowing even more unauthorized versions to exist out there.

Steam is just as relevant to gaming as Live is. Capcom knows this even if the general public does not. Steam does not advertise like Microsoft does and that says something about Steam's power as a service. To have as many subscribers as Live w/out commercials, tie-ins or some cartoon mascot shows that it is powerful indeed. It would be foolish on Capcom's part to ignore that demographic

Krackatoa
07-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Steam advertises by shucking old, dead products onto consumers in droves for bargain bin prices.

Not that I'm complaining... but they do just as much "marketing" as Microsoft does. They just go about it differently, and are generally not total ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s which, as it turns out, is great PR.

Anyhow, Live has nothing to do with this. My guess is that Capcom is holding out until the big unannounced pay-DLC Super update that's coming around the corner, then they drop it on the PC for $40 and call it a day.

We'll see.

Muddiii
07-26-2010, 08:31 AM
2). The Steam delivery system is way more profitable for the game manufacturer. If a game costs 50 dol. retail, the game manufacturer makes 6-9 bucks profit in the trditional retail store. There are manufacturing costs, (warehousing, packaging, shipment costs, etc.) that are eliminated with online delivery. This allows Capcom and other companies to pull in a $30 dollar profit for the same game @ the same price - incidentally, that's why you can find huge discounts on steam)

Capcom has to pay steam probably a monthly fee for having their software availalbe on their servers. So I dont think they make that much more off it.

These servers need maintenance and they cost electricity every month.

Viscera
07-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Capcom has to pay steam probably a monthly fee for having their software availalbe on their servers. So I dont think they make that much more off it.

These servers need maintenance and they cost electricity every month.

A percentage of sales covers Steam's expenses.-excerpt from Wikipedia....

Profitability

In 2005, the first third-party games began to appear on Steam. Valve also announced that Steam was starting to be profitable, if only due to some highly successful Valve games. Although digital distribution was still no match to retail in terms of sales volume, profit margins for Valve and developers were far bigger on Steam than at retail.[52] Gabe Newell, CEO of Valve, estimated in 2002 that $30 gross profit can be made from a $50 game sold over Steam, much greater than the $7.50 profit made from games sold through retail.[41]
In 2007, big developer-publishers such as Eidos Interactive, Capcom, and id Software started to distribute their games on Steam. In May 2007, 13 million accounts had been created on Steam, and 150 games were for sale on the platform.[53] In October 2007, the release of The Orange Box, and the distribution of high-profile games such as BioShock, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, helped increase Steam's popularity.[citation needed]

I mentioned Live because it is the nearest competitor to Steam and Live(GFWL) is what we will be playing SSFIV on when it is released for PC. In addition, Live serves as a comparison for the business model Capcom has to deal with when considering a release for PC. So, if Capcom does business w/ MicroSoft making less profit per unit sold, then it only stands to reason that a PC version will get to us.

nanosheep
07-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Street Fighter X Tekken.

Something else to look forward to?

Mynameisdamien
07-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Street Fighter X Tekken.

Something else to look forward to?

You got two years to look forward to it.

As for PC version I really am not sure how you guys have held out this long.

I saved up and got a ps3.

one thing I will say about super is flowchart kens are less common... I get alot of seths, Akuma's and goukens. Fair share of Ryu to.

Viscera
07-30-2010, 05:09 PM
I held out because it's not 'Life or Death' w/ me. I play PC because my rig does everything for me. Games, Stereo (hooked to 6.1 surround), also I run my small writing business off of it. The gaming aspect of my life is large but not 'Do or Die'

Not sayin it is w/ any of you out there but, I'll get to Super when it comes on Steam........"Down with Live!!!!!"

Srall
08-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Viscera, you're right! They are too greedy that they wouldn't think about releasing SSF4 for PC. But I'm looking skeptically towards it's release because they didn't even bother patching SF4 for the PC to improve it's performance (at least server stability for online play).
1. I never encountered an opponent which had working mic so that I could understand him, pings are so bad that I almost cheer when I get to stumble across a player with 2 bars and almost faint if i ever get to see one with full "ping-o-meter".
2. The frame rate in game is quite unstable (Pentium Quad 2,4GHz, 4GB Memory, Radeon 4870 @ 1GB) which makes it very difficult at times to pull off the combo's.
3. There are a lot of combos and moves in SF4 which you can't possibly pull off in a fight because it's way too hard to do on a controller (like Sagat's "fake hard kick" where you got to tap the "hard kick button" twice in a very short time.

One last and very big point that makes me wanna stuff/stick SF4 back into their afters:
It's called DLC!
First time DLC were announced gamers thought: Cool, there is new content for the game I like/love. (first it was like that)
But now we get charged with DLCs for content already implemented. If this trend should go on like this, one day we'll end up paying monthly fee's for playing a game (or even worse).
God bless that GREED-DLC-sale didn't reach us PC-gamers because of our modder-scene which allows us the use of customskins.

I don't know why, but everytime I think of SSF4 (and any other new games) I always keep in mind that there might appear DLCs with content already implemented or locked content with the intention to be unlocked later or (my favourite) content left out intentionally to release it another time as DLC just to earn some extra cash. (staring at CoD: MW2...I'd hack my hand off if I ever happen to buy a game from Infinity Ward again...)

Let's see if they release SSF4 for PC and dump it like SF4 after release and also what rip-off-DLCs await us in the future.(well...as long there are no limitations to non-DLC buyers or advantages for DLC buyers I can tolerate it)

Just my 2 cents,
Srall

Krackatoa
08-16-2010, 06:42 AM
*snip*

Er...

Online play isn't server-based.

The mic system is handled by Microsoft, not Capcom. It can't be changed.

The frame rate shouldn't be lagging on your computer. Make sure you turn off any programs in the background, and update your drivers. You can also insure that your game won't lag due to other programs loading/drawing resources by heading into the task manager and setting the SFIV process to High Priority.

Not being able to Fake Kick is hardly a problem, as you'd be hard pressed to find a use for it in an actual match outside of high level play. If you're just worried about the challenge trials, just take your controller in both hands and mash on HK as fast as you can using your index finger instead of your thumb.

Also, the costume DLC is extraneous. It was made ahead of time so that players wouldn't have to download it to see the opponent's outfit. Since Capcom's financial coffers are so large, they could have made the costumes at any point, during or after development. The only reason we got alternate costumes is because Capcom will allocate extra-budget for DLC purposes. If they weren't pay-for, we wouldn't have gotten them.

What you need to be worrying about is whether or not the base game is worth the money you paid for it. You really aren't entitled to anything more than that. If it isn't worth it, you don't buy it.

Srall
08-16-2010, 09:55 AM
The mic system is handled by Microsoft, not Capcom. It can't be changed.

Not being able to Fake Kick is hardly a problem, as you'd be hard pressed to find a use for it in an actual match outside of high level play. If you're just worried about the challenge trials, just take your controller in both hands and mash on HK as fast as you can using your index finger instead of your thumb.

Yeah, thought that mic-issue is a problem generated by Microsoft, but why the hell is it part of "games for windows" then?

Fake Kick was just an example, there are also other combo's which require some tricks to do them but never find their way in an online fight.

Krackatoa
08-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah, thought that mic-issue is a problem generated by Microsoft, but why the hell is it part of "games for windows" then?

Fake Kick was just an example, there are also other combo's which require some tricks to do them but never find their way in an online fight.

There's not a lot in there that you wouldn't be able to do on a pad, even if the game was designed to use with a joystick. There's a relatively sizable number of a pad players who play some of the more execution-heavy characters.

While the execution learning curve can be pretty beefy compared to other games, it's not likely to change any time soon, as the game plays as it does for a reason.

Viscera
08-17-2010, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=Srall;16575276]Yeah, thought that mic-issue is a problem generated by Microsoft, but why the hell is it part of "games for windows" then?

Games for Windows is Microsoft's version of xbox live for computer users. it makes PC based computers act like xboxes,allowing for smoother transition for xbox games to release on PC. It's proprietary so that's why certain Steam games switch over to GFW interface. It's all Microsoft and it sucks royally.

Now I'm not a pc hater by any means, nor a microsoft hater but I personally love Steam. I like it better than XFIRE and any other content delivery system. Being able to customize my avatar, change my screen name, form clans (Fade to Black, baby!!) is something that is awesome on Steam, hokey on xbox. Plus X's have server problems, connectivity problems, and no real discernible community that I've really been dying to get into. There are many ways to do things. I just prefer Valve's way over Microsoft's

I'm still hoping that I will see a PC version of Super cuz I will NOT be playing xbox. I'd buy a ps3 first. s'all I'm saying

Srall
08-18-2010, 04:45 AM
I'm still hoping that I will see a PC version of Super cuz I will NOT be playing xbox. I'd buy a ps3 first. s'all I'm saying

Well, I hope for a PC version too, since I'd never buy a console because I'm not dying without SSF4. :P

nanosheep
08-19-2010, 06:28 PM
I must say that the best gaming experience for SFIV is with friends, side by side, mashing it out on arcade sticks/controllers. Ping of 0ms is the best experience ever.

Viscera
08-20-2010, 01:15 PM
This might be a little off subject but, someone mentioned how bad the lobby experience is, particularly how uneven the match-ups are. (people constantly being teamed up against professional players vs. noobs.

I personally am just a tad bit above average. (AKUMA) and I've read that the lobby was a common complaint even among the SSF4 elite. Capcom responded by re-vamping the lobby experience and allowing others to just 'watch' matches among players to get a feel for combos, timing, and strategies. This is one of the biggest reasons why I want to see SUPER on Steam.
Currently street fighter 4 feels claustrophobic and detached. There is no real 'Community' among us Steam guys (& Gals). in order to exchange info we have to drop out of game, type, respond, wait, click this, and it sucks. (I hate "Live")

Hopefully w/ Super, we PC's will get to really open up in the fighting, instead of watching 'Youtube' to see some action.

Her's hoping, ya'll.

Nvideoblaster
08-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Great points left and right in this thread and i can wait...Been my friends little brothers friend for his PS3 just to play yours truly, Haha

nanosheep
09-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Yin and Yang have been somewhat announced for the arcade expansion of Super Street Fighter IV. 4 more new characters await!!

deliriousidoit
09-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Rofl, you mean Yun. :P

nanosheep
09-02-2010, 04:12 AM
On a related note, I hope Elena gets added to the roster. This game needs more of the opposite sex.

Pumpgunner
09-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Yes, they will release it for the PC. But after the arcade release somewhere in April 2011 (since they haven't mentioned a third PC game in their "future-release" list). Also, it would be incredibly stupid to ignore this big PC fanbase (just look at the Capcom United forums or SRK forums).

kengan0124
09-03-2010, 04:51 PM
This might be a little off subject but, someone mentioned how bad the lobby experience is, particularly how uneven the match-ups are. (people constantly being teamed up against professional players vs. noobs.

I personally am just a tad bit above average. (AKUMA) and I've read that the lobby was a common complaint even among the SSF4 elite. Capcom responded by re-vamping the lobby experience and allowing others to just 'watch' matches among players to get a feel for combos, timing, and strategies. This is one of the biggest reasons why I want to see SUPER on Steam.
Currently street fighter 4 feels claustrophobic and detached. There is no real 'Community' among us Steam guys (& Gals). in order to exchange info we have to drop out of game, type, respond, wait, click this, and it sucks. (I hate "Live")

Hopefully w/ Super, we PC's will get to really open up in the fighting, instead of watching 'Youtube' to see some action.

Her's hoping, ya'll.

I got super on my PS3, it's just so much better than the original. Especially since we have to use GFWL for the PC version. The thing is, no one really plays team battles or tournament, it's all endless or ranking. But new modes and characters and especially the replay channel makes the $40 price tag look attractive.

Viscera
09-09-2010, 06:57 PM
I got super on my PS3, it's just so much better than the original. Especially since we have to use GFWL for the PC version. The thing is, no one really plays team battles or tournament, it's all endless or ranking. But new modes and characters and especially the replay channel makes the $40 price tag look attractive.

Sounds very promising....maybe i'll get good by then (April)

deliriousidoit
09-09-2010, 10:44 PM
I personally miss Championship Mode. That was a really good system, in my opinion, and you almost always faced against someone good in the final round.

Ranked is decent, but a huge grind, with BP and PP to worry about. Not only that, you lose a crapton of PP when you lose a match, so it's hard to pick up new characters and play in Ranked, since you're always going to be pissed about losing ~500 PP in one playthrough.

Team battle is boring, no one plays that. Tournament is... not really a mode you go into just randomly, it's catered more for the people who want to play with a group of friends in a tournament style.

Endless is just like Player Match... except almost nobody makes their rooms for two players, and it's annoying as hell having to wait and wait for your turn. You can't autosearch for rooms with 2 people either, you have manually keep refreshing the page until you find a small room with a good connection. And you can't use the arcade request system with this, it only works with ranked or team battle... so your only choices are to go into a large room and deal with the wait, manually search for a small room and good connection, or make your own room and wait for people to enter without being able to play the arcade while you wait.

The gameplay itself is improved upon the original, but I liked the modes of the original much more.