PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for early questing

Griezz
07-26-2010, 01:46 AM
First of all, I know that it is a sandbox game, snd that many quests can be done in any order. That being said...

Having completed the introductory quests and exited Vault 101, I basically made a beeline directly (okay, I took something of a scenic route) to Rivet City, where I got the INT Bobblehead, which means that, beginning with level 3, I am at the max number of skill points when I level. Having done that (and only that) I quick-travelled to Megaton.

I think that an excellent start would be to neutralize the bomb for no pay, thereby gaining a house (with static containers - the only ones I've heard about in the game). After that, what next? I heard that the Survival Guide quests are good for XP early on. Any suggestions for quests that are easier to do early in the game, as opposed to when you (and enemies) are leveled up?

dannythefool
07-26-2010, 05:59 AM
The house is definitely a good idea, just because you get more out of it if you get it early. Regarding containers, most of the containers in the game are safe actually. But the house has other advantages, namely, the improvements you can buy for it. Oh and the "make my bobbleheads not clutter up my inventory" magic button is there too.

The Survival Guide is definitely good for XP early on, but it's not one of the quests that are actually easier. Some specific subquests and optional goals are much easier for a levelled character. You can still start it early because the first few subquests are dead easy regardless of when you do them. And some of the harder episodes are very good XP and cash for a fresh character (e.g. defusing all the mines in Minefield and then selling them for cash...)

I suppose one thing you could do is go on a hunt for easily accessible skill books, once you have the Comprehension perk (or just read them after getting the perk). Many of the more dangerous enemies in the wasteland just don't spawn when you're low level, and as long as you don't get to very good/evil karma, you don't have to deal with talons or regulators. The skills will help you later, especially lock picking/science, repair, speech, small guns. (If you're thinking about getting bobbleheads too, and have Broken Steel, consider whether you want all stats at 10 when you're level 30. If you want that, then don't pick up any more stat boosting bobbleheads after intelligence until after you get the level 30 "Almost Perfect" perk.)

Exploration in general is not a bad idea early on because of the easier enemies. If you have Broken Steel, any mandatory subway tunnel you go through before the upgraded ghouls are around will save you time in the long run. Starting your ammo collection early can never hurt as well, as can picking up a few good weapons before doing any serious questing (chinese assault rifle, silenced 10mm, and so on). Just stay away from notoriously dangerous areas like the ones that have Deathclaws. While none of this is a quest, there are quests that involve exploration or depend on it. You can find 30 Nuka Cola Quantum bottles easily enough (but you may not actually want to do that quest). Your exploration should also yield you a good amount of scrap metal, blood packs, sugar bombs, and so on. For other quests that you could do, I suggest you head over to http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_Quests and pick those that have rewards that you think might be useful later (e.g. Jigg's Loot).

If you have Broken Steel, there's a spot somewhere in the middle of the level range where the main quest line becomes harder when the upgraded super mutants and ghouls and all the other upgraded enemies show up. If you have Broken Steel, it may actually be a good idea to do the main quest line early on. Super Mutant Overlords eventually cease to be a problem, but they still require a lot of ammo compared to regular ones, so quests where you have to fight them become somewhat more expensive (and slightly more tedious because firing round after round into the same enemy is only so much fun). The same applies to certain side quests, e.g. the Reilly's Rangers thing.

Dirtman73
07-27-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm not quite sure why you're experience with containers in the game has been different from mine, danny, but I've learned the hard way not to put anything in a container unless that container is in one of the houses available to the player. I lost tons of items in my first playthough because I was under the impression that any container I put my swag in would keep it there for the remainder of the game. Not so.

As with Oblivion, the vanilla version of Fallout 3 is going to lose your stuff eventually unless it's in a secure location.

dannythefool
07-28-2010, 05:26 AM
I'm not quite sure why you're experience with containers in the game has been different from mine, danny, but I've learned the hard way not to put anything in a container unless that container is in one of the houses available to the player.

I've never lost anything, neither in the vanilla Fallout 3 on my PS3, nor the GoTY edition I have on Steam. My experience is that containers that don't have random loot in them are safe, excluding containers that are initially empty (random loot, you were just unlucky). E.g. Nuka-Cola vending machines will never refill. Locked containers usually won't refill. Of course, I haven't tried all of them.

I *have* seen NPCs take items from containers. This is what I suspect happened to people who report losing armour or weapons, but nothing else (NPCs will not take random junk they can't use). It's been reported that friendlies have been seen to take items out of containers in your house when they get in a fight there. And I think I remember a bug with a certain follower, and one with a certain quest...

There *are* areas that respawn completely, or even change into a different area that has different containers (the most obvious case is what happens to Tenpenny Tower minus Daring's safe if you do a specific quest in a specific way). There *are* areas that can become inaccessible. This is not always obvious. An area that looks merely redecorated often is an entirely different zone as far as the game is concerned.

And of course, I *do* sometimes accidentally hit A instead of E when I want to close a container before the trip to the shop. This is what I suspect happens to people who report losing the entire contents of one of their lockers in their Megaton house, which *has* been reported to happen even though the house is supposed to be safe. (It has also been reported that the entire house resets, or the themes reset, but that has never caused a loss for me personally, even though I've seen several theme resets in my PS3 games; on PC I don't use a theme.)

I've spent a lot of time with Oblivion too and from what I remember, it has a lot more containers that respawn their content. But even then, Oblivion has a large number of safe containers, e.g. the clams and specific types of sacks.

If it is like in Oblivion, which I've not tested, then regularly returning to your container can give you a false sense of security. In Oblivion, the respawning containers only reset if you don't visit them for three game days. If you visit them once a day or something, they appear to be safe.

Griezz
07-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Now that I think about it, that's a good call on the Nuka-Cola machines. They certainly do not respawn any contents, so should be "safe". I suspect, however, that the issue is as much not knowing exactly WHERE the machine you're looking for is. True, a good choice would be in the town of Springvale, since that is a town right near the game's beginning, is somewhat central to the Wasteland, and the machine is rather easily found at the gas station.

That is pretty much why I discount using the atypical containers in "Oblivion". Yes, I know that the grain bags that look torn open do not respawn items, but that doesn't mean I want to store stuff in one. I prefer having a PLACE to keep stuff.

I've never heard of NPCs taking items out of containers; that's a new one.

And as for Oblivion's respawn timer... I think that items respawn every three days PERIOD, not the third day since you last visited. However, I wouldn't want to chance testing & losing.

xerog_0
07-28-2010, 11:04 PM
I think I've heard of NPCs taking items out of containers before too, but I've never witnessed it firsthand. If I need a home before I finish the Power of Atom quest (which is usually only an issue if I've either forgotten to up my explosives skill early or I'm going for the Tenpenny Tower house, since that takes longer to get), I use Ian West's home in Arefu. Also, that's a good quest to start on early, since it's easy and you get some half-decent swag for it. Although if you go for getting Ian back into Arefu, you might not want to use his house as yours. Usually, the first 3 sideline quests I finish are Blood Ties, Wasteland Survival Guide, and Big Trouble in Big Town. Blood Ties and Wasteland Survival Guide are good for very early levels, and I've usually finished Big Trouble in Big Town before level 10, but not right away since it's a tad harder.

dannythefool
07-28-2010, 11:59 PM
That is pretty much why I discount using the atypical containers in "Oblivion". Yes, I know that the grain bags that look torn open do not respawn items, but that doesn't mean I want to store stuff in one. I prefer having a PLACE to keep stuff.

My point was just that Oblivion has a lot more containers that respawn stuff. Fallout 3 has reasonably looking ones that don't respawn. There's an (incomplete) list of housing opportunities with containers that have somehow been determined secure at the wiki: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_Player_Housing

I've never heard of NPCs taking items out of containers; that's a new one.

I think it's more likely to happen when they get in a fight. Although hostiles will always be in a fight when you can see them. They also have to be able to get something that's better than their current equipment.

Zikco
07-29-2010, 05:34 AM
...to neutralize the bomb for no pay, thereby gaining a house (with static containers - the only ones I've heard about in the game)...

You get the house for deactivating the bomb no matter what, even if you gouge the sheriff with the highest fee you can drag out of him. ;)

Also, most safes and ammo boxes are static.

Griezz
07-30-2010, 11:06 PM
I think I've heard of NPCs taking items out of containers before too, but I've never witnessed it firsthand. If I need a home before I finish the Power of Atom quest (which is usually only an issue if I've either forgotten to up my explosives skill early or I'm going for the Tenpenny Tower house, since that takes longer to get), I use Ian West's home in Arefu. Also, that's a good quest to start on early, since it's easy and you get some half-decent swag for it. Although if you go for getting Ian back into Arefu, you might not want to use his house as yours. Usually, the first 3 sideline quests I finish are Blood Ties, Wasteland Survival Guide, and Big Trouble in Big Town. Blood Ties and Wasteland Survival Guide are good for very early levels, and I've usually finished Big Trouble in Big Town before level 10, but not right away since it's a tad harder.

Currently around level 5 and in the middle of searching for Ian. I must say that, after dealing with humanoids, dogs & molerats, I was rather startled at suddenly having to deal with much tougher opponents in mirelurks and in the radscorpions in the hideaway. I was SO lucky that I just happened to nab a combat shotgun, because there was no way that a pistol was hacking it against those guys.

Happy Wlad
08-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Id recommend doing the Tenpenny Towers quest as soon as possible. The ghoul mask is probably the most useful item ive encountered and (if youre a goody goody) the karma hit for looting the dead merchants is worth the silly amount of cash you get from selling their stuff (Not to mention all of the dead guards).

Im not sure what effect killing Tenpenny has on other quests tho.

Wlad

dannythefool
08-03-2010, 01:50 AM
Tenpenny himself is a quest target for another quest. I don't know if killing him earlier affects that quest at all. Daring Dashwood is also involved in one or two things.

I disagree about the ghoul mask being useful. It makes you look terrible, I got enough of that when I went through puberty. The ghouls are some of the easiest enemies anyway, just aim for their heads.

Griezz
08-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Okay, so I've got a good idea about which quests or items to go for which would be best done early (Megaton quests, Rivet CIty bobblehead run, basic exploration), but what quests should be put off until you're well-experienced? Three Dog's radio station & further main quests? Anything to do with Paradise Falls? The Nuka-Cola Challenge? The slaver quests? The leader assassinations for the ghoul?

xerog_0
08-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Okay, so I've got a good idea about which quests or items to go for which would be best done early (Megaton quests, Rivet CIty bobblehead run, basic exploration), but what quests should be put off until you're well-experienced? Three Dog's radio station & further main quests? Anything to do with Paradise Falls? The Nuka-Cola Challenge? The slaver quests? The leader assassinations for the ghoul?

You know, it sounds to me like your best bet is to save frequently (not just quick/autosave). GNR is tough, but I've done it at lower levels. If you save before going out into the unknown, you can just load if things get too hairy. The other advantage is that you'll have a layer of protection against savegame corruption. I'd say as far as the main storyline goes, GNR is tough early-on, but the last time I played through I waited to do almost all of the Broken Steel content until I was lvl 30, and dang was it hard. It seems like that was one of the few areas where the enemy difficulty aggressively scaled with level, so if you've got BS, you might not want to wait too long before finishing the main quest.

But as a more direct answer, I'd say that GNR is a potential avoider, as is Reily's Rangers. It's good to do Reily's Rangers as soon as you can since you get a pretty awesome award for it, but it's tough, so a good benchmark is that if you're having trouble surviving in the DC ruins, you're probably not ready for it. Those can also be pretty tough early-on. The Nuka-Cola challenge is just a crap-collection mission, so I don't think there's any particular reason to avoid that one. Slaver quests are more of a sneak thing for the most part, but it is interrelated with other quests. Same with "You've Gotta Shoot 'Em In The Head!". Also, I've personally never completed the DLC early-on, but every one of them is tough at higher (> 20) levels. I'm sure there's at least a bit of AI scaling going on there, so I couldn't say how those are on lower levels.

Generally speaking, you'll find that marked quests give you lots of XP. It's generally worth finishing any marked quests you've got if you can before doing exploring, since exploring won't get you out of the lower levels as quickly.

Griezz
08-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Actually, let me suggest an alternative; I'd like your input.
- Do intro missions, run through Springvale and Megaton, then do Rivet City
run for INT bobblehead
- Fast-travel to Megaton, do local quests. Blood Ties & Guide quests left
- Find & explore Vault 106; get SCI bobble. Go to Arefu; get REP bobble
- Go to the SW quadrant for the Sneak, Unarmed, Melee Weapons & Barter
bobbleheads
- Do Blood Ties, then go do Wasteland Survival Guide quests

For later on:
- All DLC Content
- Don't bother looking for Alien Blaster until you've got good energy
weapons skills. (Scrounger perk wouldn't hurt, since ammo for that gun is
rather limited otherwise.)

KarlMonster
08-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Spoiler Alert!

I haven't played any DLC's yet (and won't until I get non-GOTY FO3 to run in Win 7 Pro x64) so I don't know if DLC affects any of the following. Here's a few comments from my experience.

I save the skill books until I get Comprehension.
I had the idea to NOT EVEN TRY to start any quests until I had my Speech skill up to about 50. It gives me a good chance at getting a better deal (more caps) in negotiating with quest-givers (try to remember to put on appropriate clothing for Speech and Chr bonus). Its do-able if you use one of your "tags" on speech and dump at least the first crop of skill points into Speech. Note that this is also harder if you're saving up skill books. I'm reasonably sure that after 50 you can ignore Speech altogether and still hit 100 with skill books alone.

For example - as soon as you set foot in Megaton, you have to talk to the Sheriff about the bomb, and there's a speech check related to the bomb. Then while you're there, there's another speech check with Moriarity, one with Moira, etc. etc. Probably not the first thing you want to do.

1) Paradise Falls - (Speech check) Its possible to capture Arkansas Red with the Mesmetron, but it helps a lot if you know who that is, where he is, and... have the Mesmetron. Getting Red is dicey so you'll want to wait a few levels before you try to get him. (You have to stay behind cover, not get killed, and he'll come down to you when you've moved in close enough that he can't see you from his starting position. Mez away, but watch your step.) Also, the sooner you can get into PF, the sooner you can sell stuff to Pronto. More available vendors are good for you.

2) Canterbury Commons - (Speech check) I always have an issue with disposing of loot, and hate stashing stuff until Moira or *anyone* has the caps to buy my stuff again. So I personally like to buff the caravans ASAP. By the time you've gone from Megaton to PF to CC, you will have picked up a good amount of stuff, but seen few vendors to sell them to [bummer]. Also you'll probably hit level 2 just from exploration exp. Its nice to have 1000 caps or more (to invest) before you get there, but anything you can invest in the caravans is a start. I like to buff the caravans early because they have a bad habit of dying on me. [Yes, I might be able to 'save' them by re-loading a save before they get killed, (because they have to be near me to die) but I seldom know when that is - even though I always chase the sound of explosions.]
Another reason to get to CC early is that the Radscorpions shouldn't appear until you are level 4. The longer you wait, the more firepower you need to get there alive.

3) The house in Arlington Cemetery. I don't remember how easy/hard it is to get there without using the subway tunnels, but the only Supermutants I remember are 3? outside the subway on the street. The Cemetery should be empty, and there are goodies in the house. I remember this as a large payoff for little effort, but I could be wrong about how easy that was.

4) Whenever I do Grayditch early on, I run out of ammo - unless I also use whatever energy weapons I have. Wait until you have weapon skill and 1000+ rounds of ammo. The only ammo that you really need to buy is 5mm or electron charges since they burn up fast when you're shooting down Ospreys.

If you bisect the FO3 map diagonally from SW to NE, you'll find that most of the bobbleheads are in the NW half. Lots of points of interest out there, but few vendors.

I've gotten the ghoul mask, and its useful, but you lose four vendors to get it. I think that's a poor trade-off. The magnum and VATS is a good substitute for the mask.

I've had mostly good results with container storage. I mostly used Nuka Cola machines and firehose boxes - because they are easier to remember. Also, I hadn't heard that some boxes could eat your stuff, and I've never seen NPC's open boxes.