PDA

View Full Version : Famas vs. m16a4

n30r
07-26-2010, 06:36 AM
The title really says it all. Can anyone explain which is better and why? Is it just personal preference(?) or is there any difference in damage or spray?

PS: sorry for bad english

Doozer
07-26-2010, 06:48 AM
From looking at the stats they seem to even out. Famas has a higher rate of fire and is more accurate. M16A4 has higher damage. The mobility and range are pretty much the same. Famas would be favourable in hard core modes but in standard games its down to personal preference.

nico74
07-26-2010, 06:51 AM
dont know dont use either but i would say depends on the player using it. you can get and i have done, 2 players using the same weapon and one will always kill the other. i think you just have to find a weapon that suit's your playing style

Fausty
07-26-2010, 06:54 AM
I love the famas really.. It is good for long range and ok for short... I used it for a long time and I loved its accuracy.

Really I am just only level 42 now and it has been my wep of choice up till then at least.

Famas = Long and medium ranged awesomeness. Nice 3 shot burst so it makes you keep bullet spray small for good kills.

Not used the other wep enough to know

alungwilliams1
07-26-2010, 06:54 AM
i prefer SMG's for fast mobility but for AR's i would go fo the M4, it's full auto and the iron sight is quite good.

Fahrenheit 451
07-26-2010, 07:07 AM
I never really like the m16 in this game, and in COD4. I really like the Famas.

DrFish
07-26-2010, 07:10 AM
Reload speeds are different, it seems.
Anyway, I like the looks of M16A4. Never ever used Famas in any of my games.

Fire Friendly
07-26-2010, 07:31 AM
I don't like how the M16A4 looks like a fat tube when it has a sight on it, and like a fat tube with a protrusion on top without sights. It sounds pretty weak to me, like it's someone spitting, and just doesn't feel right.

The FAMAS, on the other hand, has a "cutting" feel to it's firing, with lovely irons and feels much nicer to use.

I use the M4A1 the most anyway, so..

SpunkyKuma
07-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Never really liked the FAMAS, the M16 felt better, goes good with a silencer or thermal scope.

TheWarfox
07-26-2010, 07:49 AM
So to answer your question, it is all personal preferance.

FOO|YA
07-26-2010, 08:06 AM
I like both but I think that the FAMAS has a slower ADS, the sights are better on the FAMAS (iron) but I like the M16 better but only in HC for both.

Kaltzor
07-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Time to bring out the damage chart (http://www.mw2blog.com/modern-warfare-2-weapons-damage-chart/)...

It has pretty accurate info on both...

They have the same damage, but FAMAS has a longer range for the max dmg, both have the same firing speed, both have the same ADS time, M16 is slightly faster to take out and reload... and thats about all there is to it...

Mastershroom
07-26-2010, 08:31 AM
They have identical damage (40 up close, 30 at long range), but the FAMAS retains its maximum damage for slightly longer than the M16A4. It also has slightly less spread on average. However, the M16 has a significantly faster reload, and its spread is just as small when used with the Holographic sight.

tl;dr use whichever one you like because they're essentially the same.

VersusAllOdds
07-26-2010, 08:41 AM
I always considered people with M16 to be cooler than those using FAMAS :D

However, I prefer the FAMAS looks, and it's sound and ironsights. It's a bullpup so it gives you a feeling of being more agile. I think Holo on M16 makes it better, but I'm not really an expert on burst weapons...

pyrofessional
07-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Famas by far.

SS|-VoRTeX-|
07-26-2010, 09:00 AM
M16A4 > FAMAS

M16 feels, looks, and shoots like a mans weapon.
FAMAS feels, looks, and shoots like a child's toy.

Fahrenheit 451
07-26-2010, 09:15 AM
M16A4 > FAMAS

M16 feels, looks, and shoots like a mans weapon.
FAMAS feels, looks, and shoots like a child's toy.

Have you ever shot either IRL? Then I don't think you can make that call.

SS|-VoRTeX-|
07-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Yes, I have.

Fahrenheit 451
07-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Yes, I have.

Then you would not think the FAMAS feels like a child's toy. The only gun I have held that feels like a child's toy is the G36. The FAMAS it a sweet gun IMO.

SS|-VoRTeX-|
07-26-2010, 09:35 AM
The FAMAS is a sweet gun, when its fully auto. M16 is superior when it comes to burst fire.

You know what would be really sweet? If IW would have put proper firerate selections on all of the weapons that have them. The FAMAS would be more OP than the UMP, as a fully automatic AR :'(

Fahrenheit 451
07-26-2010, 09:45 AM
The FAMAS is a sweet gun, when its fully auto. M16 is superior when it comes to burst fire.

You know what would be really sweet? If IW would have put proper firerate selections on all of the weapons that have them. The FAMAS would be more OP than the UMP, as a fully automatic AR :'(

IDK, if they had put those selections ingame, I would definitely put the TAR on burst.

The FAMAS's recoil is manageable in burst, but on full auto, it has pretty high recoil (not that COD games ever have recoil anyways.)

swiper333333
07-26-2010, 11:06 AM
M16 is waaaaay better with the holo, but it's OP.
FAMAS is OK though.

TheOnlyTom
07-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Time to bring out the damage chart (http://www.mw2blog.com/modern-warfare-2-weapons-damage-chart/)...

That damage chart is taken from Den Kirson:
http://denkirson.xanga.com/715966769/modern-warfare-2/

It doesn't even cite him, so don't use that website.

Playerp228
07-26-2010, 12:24 PM
I use both these weapons a lot. From my experience there is no doubt that the m16 is the more powerful of the two. I opened up that damage chart and said wtf.

So based on my experience the FAMAS has better accuracy than the m16, but I know some say the m16s accuracy improves with the holo. I cant say for sure because it seems like a waste of an attachment when the irons are fine.

As far as the dmg being the same, I cant explain it, I've always felt the m16 was more powerful. Dont actually care either.

Fahrenheit 451
07-26-2010, 12:31 PM
I use both these weapons a lot. From my experience there is no doubt that the m16 is the more powerful of the two. I opened up that damage chart and said wtf.

So based on my experience the FAMAS has better accuracy than the m16, but I know some say the m16s accuracy improves with the holo. I cant say for sure because it seems like a waste of an attachment when the irons are fine.

As far as the dmg being the same, I cant explain it, I've always felt the m16 was more powerful. Dont actually care either.

Put thermal on both and try them out.

The M16 hops up like the barrett with thermal. The FAMAS has less recoil than the ACR. That is why I like the FAMAS better.

ratchet5000
07-26-2010, 12:36 PM
According to the wiki the UMP has a higher minimum damage and the same maximum damage as the M4 and SCAR. As an added bonus its full auto, has 2 more rounds in the mag than the M4, less spread, no damage reduction when Suppressed, and extremely moble. UMP.45<---My weapon of choice. ARs like the Famas and M16 dont suit me because i go close quarters instead of camping for kills. But if I was camping the M16 definately would be the best for its damage.

n30r
07-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks, a lot of good responses here. Seems like the m16a4 is statistically better, but it is the most up to personal prefference.

I always thought that the m16a4 was best because I see a lot of people on MLG and gamebattles use it a lot.

Fahrenheit 451
07-26-2010, 01:11 PM
According to the wiki the UMP has a higher minimum damage and the same maximum damage as the M4 and SCAR. As an added bonus its full auto, has 2 more rounds in the mag than the M4, less spread, no damage reduction when Suppressed, and extremely moble. UMP.45<---My weapon of choice. ARs like the Famas and M16 dont suit me because i go close quarters instead of camping for kills. But if I was camping the M16 definately would be the best for its damage.

Those guns don't require camping. You just can't rush with them. There is a middle ground.

evil_Vasile
07-26-2010, 03:07 PM
The Famas... It's French!... (otherwise it's neat :P)

M16 all the way. (Looks better too)

chmcjh
07-26-2010, 03:37 PM
In the end, it really depends on the user's preference, but here are some general comparisons that might help you make a decision.

The FAMAS has a longer effective range than the M16A4. FAMAS = ~47 meters, M16A4 = ~37 meters. This is the farthest distance that the gun can give maximum damage (40 per bullet, same for both guns). After this point there is a gradual drop-off for about 13 meters where the gun will reach its minimum damage of 30 per bullet (again, the same for both guns).

The M16A4 has a faster reload time than the FAMAS. M165A4 = 2.0 seconds, FAMAS = 2.8 seconds. This time is cut in half by SoH.

The M16A4 has a faster raise and drop time than the FAMAS. M16A4 (Raise = .75 seconds, Drop = .50 seconds), FAMAS (Raise = .90 seconds, Drop = .90 seconds). Raise time is the amount of time it takes to raise the gun to be able to shoot (the time it takes to take the gun out). Drop time is the time it takes to put the gun away. The total time between switching weapons would be the added time between the first weapon's drop time and the second weapon's raise time.

There are also a few other minor differences between the stats of the two guns, but really it comes down to feeling. Just play with both for a few games, and see which one "feels" better.

Personally, I prefer the FAMAS.

And just for future reference, I know this chart has been going around for a while, but just for new users who might not know about it, here is the link to a handy little chart so you can compare the REAL in-game stats on any of the weapons in MW2 (the stats that the game shows are completely wrong).

http://denkirson.xanga.com/715966769/modern-warfare-2/

chmcjh
07-26-2010, 03:39 PM

When you put a suppressor on a gun, the maximum damage doesn't change, but the damage fall-off happens faster.