LupinMupin
07-29-2010, 07:22 AM
why are there pixels?

erwem576
07-29-2010, 07:28 AM
I was wondering that myself.

Knights
07-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Face blured out to hide the gruesome remains of a head shot? I played the demo on the PS3 and thought it was an interesting addition.

-59-
07-29-2010, 08:36 AM
they arent aloud to show headshots on youtube dummy.

Sweetman
07-29-2010, 08:47 AM
I like it. I didn't understand what was going on at first, but after I realized what was happening, it does make me think "...Damn, I really messed this guy up."

Saint Xorx
07-29-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm sure it won't be like this in the game. There will be options to turn it off. If not, best rate it PG.

Tollaner
07-29-2010, 09:23 AM
I should be like that. Kane & Lynch 2 is stylized for documentary from handheld camera.

TrinityKei
07-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Its on purpose like this. its amazing, but it seems anything new developers try, is straight away being whined about, but if they try nothing new, people whine about the lack of innovation. its like this on purpose, to make the game appear more like a movie rather than a game. if you're playing the game for gore, you're doing it wrong, go play God of War or something like that if you feel that gore makes a good game.

HawK047
07-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Its just a demo, people.

And if its not that, the games style is gritty and "handycam" styled.

Ipos
07-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Well, some games add film grain effect, but it can be switched off. If this censored effect stays in the game and can't be turned off, then it's a no buy for me.

HawK047
07-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Well, some games add film grain effect, but it can be switched off. If this censored effect stays in the game and can't be turned off, then it's a no buy for me.

Thats just pathetic. Are you really getting off to gore that much?
If so, you should get yourself checked, before you bash someones skull in to see what that looks like in real life.

Its either to censor the demo or the visual style and thus not really censorship.

Saint Xorx
07-29-2010, 11:53 AM
If so, you should get yourself checked, before you bash someones skull in to see what that looks like in real life.

Its either to censor the demo or the visual style and thus not really censorship.

You're just taking his opinion and going overboard with it. What's the point in rating this game an 18 (or whatever it's final rating will be) when everything's blurred out? This isn't for a minor audience.

Cedge
07-29-2010, 11:54 AM
It's an intentional effect, people. The idea behind the visual presentation is that it's like a documentary, and the fake "censorship" is just a part of that. It's stylistic, and was not forced by the publisher, or any censorship organization.

JamesHowlett
07-29-2010, 12:45 PM
The people who said it's because of the documentary style are correct. It isn't a censorship because of the game, it's still rated M and they are allowed to show it, they just chose not to for the style. Same with the semi-pixelated graphics. I know people will either hate the style or love it.

And Ipos this will be in the game. It's sad you won't pick it up for a small reason like this. Also note that this is shown only when enemies are on the ground with facial damage.

dr.snodgrass
07-29-2010, 06:30 PM
its so australians can play it

elixenie
07-29-2010, 10:25 PM
It probably is so they can save money making one more version of the game. The stated reason may involve realism and grit, but that doesn't make much sense. Real documentaries don't censor violence and nudity in this way. The documentary form is famous for including upsetting and offensive images you would never see in entertainment. If anything you'll see logos and the faces of bystanders edited. And any re-cut for broadcast or other sensitive venues would also censor for language. I think they are just doing this to save money.

Maybe you could argue that the look they're going for is reality show.

Were the grit reason true, it might make a cute gimmick for the length of a trailer, but I don't want to see this sort of crap in my games for hours on end. I don't need to be reminded that I live in a world where you say the F word and they take away your mouth; where Google can't snap pictures on a public street without turning real life people into the creepy phantoms from the first Boards of Canada album. I don't like living in a world where people get paid for using machines to deface paintings.

I do like to spend an hour or two at a time pretending to burn that world down. So you'll have to pardon me if, when I see this mosaic effect in a game like this, it feels a little bit like an invasion.

I wonder how many of you will defend this or some other studio, when they say they've allowed focus test groups to decide the ending of their game, because that's how big action movies are made.

Cream Soda
07-30-2010, 04:50 AM
I think the whole "youtube effect" seems out of place in this game. They made it work (as well as anyone could, I guess) in the blair witch and that other awful movie that came out recently. What made the handicam work in those movies was the fact that the cameraman was part of the movie. Who is the cameraman in kane and lynch? Is superman following behind them eating stray bullets while cheering them on? As it is, its more of a gimmick that takes a modern game and runs it through a filter to make it look like it came out ten years ago.

The pixelation is no doubt a subset of this "youtube effect" they are going for. But just like everything else, you look at it and say "Why?"

worse1
07-30-2010, 05:23 AM
Give me his shoulder on a plate, whole Africa could eat of that for months.

Ipos
07-30-2010, 06:27 AM

Piss off and go play tetris.

elixenie
07-30-2010, 06:53 AM
blair witch and that other awful movie that came out recently.

Wait you did not just say that about Paranormal Activity! Oh man that was good. The movie had two things going for it. One, the fast-forwarding gave it more of a feel that I was the one reviewing the tapes, and that therefore anything not seen in the movie was removed or forgotten by me. Honestly not a great movie, but not once did I lose interest. And reason number two is tripods. Sweet, sweet tripods. Glorious.

A similar but much better movie is The Poughkeepsie Tapes. Kind of rough going, though. Not necessarily a good date movie.

I associate the look of this game more with Se7en, and before that maybe NYPD Blue. Both were copied to death, but each was a genuinely new take on cinema verite or whatever you want to call it. Neither explained the camera. The camera was you, for reasons unknown. The shakes and other stylistic quirks weren't any justified realism, but raw atmosphere. You could say they were expressionistic in way. Christ, you never forget this crap, do you? Sorry.

Joe The Janitor
07-30-2010, 01:43 PM
I'll answer everything with this:
The only thing that can be turned off is shaky cam. That is it. You can't turn off film grain, or censorship. That's all part of the games style.

Le0
07-30-2010, 02:25 PM
I thought it was pretty smart from io. You can't possibly make the videogame headshot look gruesome, it'll look fake whatever you do. With fake censorship the player can use his imagination to fill up the gruesomeness. I guess that players nowadays don't like smart stuff and lack imagination.

Lavalampdrinker
07-30-2010, 06:10 PM
I personally like the style of the game. And people stop the BS alredy that there is an option that says "Fullscreen effects" on or off.By the way i still wonder why nibb1es shot these guys on floor lol.

nibb1es
07-30-2010, 06:26 PM
I guess its ok tho the pixels are too big ;o
I'm gonna try see if I can mod it :D

SnakeOfEden
08-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I think it's a really clever effect.

The pixelation makes it feel even more raw, and gives it an eerie realism, far more affecting than a crude polygon model of a bloodied face ever could.

Darksider1972
08-09-2010, 01:00 PM
handycam style POV like watching a news story.